River Cruise Early Booking Discount

WishUponAStarryNight

DIS Veteran
So I’m ready to take the plunge and book our first ABD :bounce::bounce:. I won’t be able to book until Thursday. Does anyone know how many early booking spots are available on each river cruise? Are they distributed on a per category basis or a per sailing basis? Will the website update real-time so I can see whether the discount is still available? There are a couple dates that will work for us and I’d like to know what my options are come Thursday morning. Thank you! I’m so excited!

I would wager a large amount that the website will *NOT* be updated in real time. It never has been in the past. I suppose there's always a tiny chance they've upgraded the site, but I wouldn't count on it.

I know that on regular land ABDs, they generally have 3 or 4 reservations' worth of early booking discounts available per departure. But since the cruises involve so many more reservations, maybe it will be a higher percentage. I'd definitely check the website on Wednesday night. *Hopefully* they'll have updated between Tuesday's bookings and Thursdays'. But again, don't plan on it.

Congrats on booking your first ABD. It will likely not be your last. As we say here all the time, they are *highly* addictive!

Sayhello

Last edited:
@sayhello are you going to book a solo cabin?

I'm booking the October 1st cruise for myself and my ds. I figure we can always cancel down the road if we need to. Hopefully dd will be happily away at school by then! Ds saw the itinerary and loved it!

@sayhello are you going to book a solo cabin?

I'm booking the October 1st cruise for myself and my ds. I figure we can always cancel down the road if we need to. Hopefully dd will be happily away at school by then! Ds saw the itinerary and loved it!
I'm going to try! (Or rather, my Travel Agent is going to try!) I basically told her to try for any of the Adult Only departures. We'll see what happens! So, Hey! We *could* possibly end up on the same cruise!

In the past it has been they keep the deposit but will apply it to another ABD. Not sure if it's changed.
As far as I know, that's still the policy.

Sayhello

I just booked the July 9 sailing! Got the early booking discount but it is still $$$$, gulp. I'm a little tentative because the teenager will need to be convinced that it will be fun without a teen club and movies. He's very used to DCL.

On my Rhine sailing last year, the guides had dinner with the kids and they watched movies, etc. The teens had their own table in the restaurant. So, even though there are no kids clubs, there were organized activities for them on the ship. HTH!

I just booked the July 9 sailing! Got the early booking discount but it is still $$$$, gulp. I'm a little tentative because the teenager will need to be convinced that it will be fun without a teen club and movies. He's very used to DCL.

On my Rhine sailing last year, the guides had dinner with the kids and they watched movies, etc. The teens had their own table in the restaurant. So, even though there are no kids clubs, there were organized activities for them on the ship. HTH!
Yes, the same was true on my Danube sailing. The teens all hung out together and kind of claimed part of the upper deck for their hangout in the evenings. They all seemed happy with the setup.

And I'm booked for the May Adults Only Rhone cruise, in one of the Single cabins! Yay!

Sayhello

Yay! So happy for you!
Thanks! Now I have to decide if I want to do the Paris short escape prior to the cruise or not.

I was toying with the idea of going to Budapest first for a few days, then taking the train to Lyon. But I haven't looked at the logistics of that at all yet.

Sayhello

I am probably not going to do the short escape. The cost for my DD and I is high, IMHO, considering that there is an OYO meal and an additional OYO block of time. If I was traveling alone I would consider it more strongly.

Thanks! Now I have to decide if I want to do the Paris short escape prior to the cruise or not.

I was toying with the idea of going to Budapest first for a few days, then taking the train to Lyon. But I haven't looked at the logistics of that at all yet.

Sayhello
Oooo - Budapest! Too bad the Budapest short escapes don't start until June (I'm hoping to get on one :)). I love Budapest; Paris - not so much. That being said, there are a lot more options to get into Paris than into Budapest. Maybe consider a couple days in Geneva or Lausanne - that's an easy train ride to Lyon.

I am probably not going to do the short escape. The cost for my DD and I is high, IMHO, considering that there is an OYO meal and an additional OYO block of time. If I was traveling alone I would consider it more strongly.
I'm waiting to see what the price is for a solo on the Short Escape. Then we'll see.

Oooo - Budapest! Too bad the Budapest short escapes don't start until June (I'm hoping to get on one :)). I love Budapest; Paris - not so much. That being said, there are a lot more options to get into Paris than into Budapest. Maybe consider a couple days in Geneva or Lausanne - that's an easy train ride to Lyon.
My one regret from my Danube River Cruise was not having more time in Budapest. We'll see what I can work out. Switzerland had occurred to me, too. I'm also not the biggest fan of Paris. I'd rather spend my days (and money) elsewhere. And not flying into CDG airport is another plus.

Sayhello.

Last edited:
And I'm booked for the May Adults Only Rhone cruise, in one of the Single cabins! Yay!

Sayhello

Yay! Congrats! I wish we were going on the same sailing. We are tentatively booked for the October 1st. Unfortunately we won't know if we get the early booking discount until I put down a deposit (by tomorrow). Catch 22 is that I am only booking now to get the discount!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter