River Cruises newbie

GuardMusic

Castaway Club Platinum
We are looking at Europe River Cruises. As a a DCL Platinum cruiser, we're obviously looking at the ABD Danube River Cruise. However, as expected the cost is somewhat shocking. Thus, we're looking at AMAWaterways (who ABD contracts) as well as Crystal and Avalon.

Yet, we have NO experience with river cruises, the companies, the ships, etc. I am looking for advice &/or trip reports to help with this. We are likely focused on either a Danube (Germany-Hungary) or Netherlands (for the tulips)! Any and all suggestions are welcomed!

I would browse rivercruiseadvisor dot com. They do a good job of summarizing the difference in the cruise lines. I have not cruised the lines you mentioned but really enjoyed uniworld.

I've done both ABD river cruises (Danube and Rhine) and as you mentioned, they contract with AMAWaterways. I cannot say enough good things about AMAWaterways. If/when we do another river cruise it will definitely be with them (tulip time sounds like a great idea!). If you have any questions about them please ask...I'm not an expert but I'll do my best to answer :)

One thing to keep in mind when looking at the price of ABD Danube compared to DCL is that the ABD is all inclusive. We went on the Danube last summer and it included all shore excusions and wine with dinner as well as several other adult drinks at other meals and special events like schnapps tasting and Octoberfest etc. We got champagne during the safety talk! After our cruise and Prague add-on our only extra charges was $38 for laundry (sent out per item).

I've done one river cruise, on a more budget line with a group tour. I've looked a fair bit into other cruise lines as well, but that was a few years ago. Check out cruisecritic dot com. There's a river cruise section, and I believe a stickied post with cruise line comparisons.

It is a very different experience than a regular cruise, with much, much less to do in the evenings. I'd look for a cruise that has as many late night departures as possible so that you have time in the city after dinner, or the chance to do dinner in port. You also are much more limited to ship's excursions or just OYO, as docking times and even places can be fluid based on needs of the river. Arranging outside tours is trickier.

Some cruise lines are all inclusive for excursions (I think AMA is). Others will charge you for each excursion.

The food choices tend to be fewer, since the kitchen is smaller. Depending on the line, it may skew a fairly older demographic.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at the price of ABD Danube compared to DCL is that the ABD is all inclusive. We went on the Danube last summer and it included all shore excusions and wine with dinner as well as several other adult drinks at other meals and special events like schnapps tasting and Octoberfest etc. .

This is a very good point.

I'm actually taking another Ama cruise without Disney because we were so impressed with them. We loved our Disney river cruise but the cost of one person and the single supplement is just too much money. What surprised me about the upcoming Ama itinerary is that some days are pretty busy but there are other days where you only have a 3 hour activity that is planned. Our Disney days were jam packed with activities.

I've done cruises with Tauck (Danube) and Uniworld (Rhine). Both offer family cruises, if you're interested in that. Both cruises were fantastic. If you are a Costco member you can get a significant discount on Uniworld.

I agree, AMAWaterways was amazing, and if I do another river cruise, it will likely be with them. Amazing ship, and the most wonderful crew ever!

Sayhello

We are also Platinum DCL cruisers. The ABD Danube river cruise was our first river cruise and I was glad we went with ABD. It was a very different experience than a DCL cruise and also very different than a land based ABD. That said, we loved it. I would definitely do another one, preferably with ABD. Here is a link to my trip report from the river cruise https://www.disboards.com/threads/dvc-exclusive-danube-river-cruise.3524853

I've done both ABD river cruises (Danube and Rhine) and as you mentioned, they contract with AMAWaterways. I cannot say enough good things about AMAWaterways. If/when we do another river cruise it will definitely be with them (tulip time sounds like a great idea!). If you have any questions about them please ask...I'm not an expert but I'll do my best to answer :)

Do you think ABD is worth the additional cost? If so, based on what? The price really put us off, so we were looking at non-ABD AMAWaterways, Crystal, and maybe another. (I just took Avalon off the list based on reviews.) I'm trying to discern the Disney/non-Disney differences. We've been doing Disney for so long, I fear being disappointed. (The last two times I've done Europe either on our own or planning a university study abroad were SO MUCH effort when we got there, finding our way around, food, etc. We need this to be a VACATION.) FYI we want Tulips too, but can't travel during those times.

This is a very good point.

I'm actually taking another Ama cruise without Disney because we were so impressed with them. We loved our Disney river cruise but the cost of one person and the single supplement is just too much money. What surprised me about the upcoming Ama itinerary is that some days are pretty busy but there are other days where you only have a 3 hour activity that is planned. Our Disney days were jam packed with activities.

Was jam-packed good or bad? I presume you can opt out if you want a nap? :)

Do you think ABD is worth the additional cost? If so, based on what? The price really put us off, so we were looking at non-ABD AMAWaterways, Crystal, and maybe another. (I just took Avalon off the list based on reviews.) I'm trying to discern the Disney/non-Disney differences. We've been doing Disney for so long, I fear being disappointed. (The last two times I've done Europe either on our own or planning a university study abroad were SO MUCH effort when we got there, finding our way around, food, etc. We need this to be a VACATION.) FYI we want Tulips too, but can't travel during those times.

Honestly (and I really don't want to get flamed here)...for just DH and me, no. We went the first year at Christmas and that was the one and only year (so far) they've offered the Vienna Boys Choir so DH got to hear them (they were under where we were sitting apparently so we didn't actually see them per se) and he was super happy. Other than that, while I enjoyed the Adventure Guides and REALLY enjoyed the Prague add on after (which now doesn't appear to be offered), I don't think it is a good value for me.

This past Christmas we went on the Rhine with our DD (17) who is an only child because we knew that with the ABD label there would be more families and family friendly activities. She loved it and was very happy so in our case, for her, yes it was worth it.

IF just DH and I went again, we'd just go on AMA without ABD. I think their ships, staff and excursions (of which, tbh I skip about half because nothing says vacation like NOT rushing around to see the second largest ball of twine) are all great.

I've done cruises with Tauck (Danube) and Uniworld (Rhine). Both offer family cruises, if you're interested in that. Both cruises were fantastic. If you are a Costco member you can get a significant discount on Uniworld.

Thanks! Tauck just started coming on our radar, but I hear they are the most expensive (due to being all inclusive). BFF is a Costco member, but I'm also work on the side for an EarMarked travel agency, so I can't go through both.

My daughter(12) and I will take our first ABD, a Rhine River cruise, in July of this year. I'm very excited, since I've always wanted to do a river cruise. It was a big move to skip the cruise this year. She has always loved the clubs, and when I initially booked an ABD cruise when they first came out, I got cold feet and kept moving it. Now, I feel like she is old enough to enjoy it. Having other kids her age along is the reason we are doing it with ABD (in fact, two of her classmates from school will be on the same cruise with us). Kind of a transition between the Disney cruise and actually doing this stuff on our own with no clubs/guides/special kids activities. I don't think she is quite ready for that type of trip yet. One day, yes, but for now, she still really enjoys that stuff and does not want to wander around a stuffy museum all day. Comparing the cost, I didn't really find it all *that* much more expensive, since so much was included as far as excursions, alcohol and tips.

We did the Baltic and Norway cruises back to back a couple of years ago and I think one of those cruises for both of us was about $1000 less than the ABD for both of us, and we paid for excursions, tips, alcohol and merchandise we bought on the ship on top of that, so it ended up being a good bit more. So, it really just depends, I think, on what you are wanting and comparing it to. I'm sure there are great options for other touring companies. We like Disney. We are Disney people (probably guessed that from being on this board!) That's part of the fun for us, so there is some sense of we-would-miss-it-if-we-didn't-have-it happening. I promise to report back once we are done. Next year is back to the cruise ship, but I hope to love this experience just as much.

Depends on how you look at it. One good thing is we barely spent any of the cash we brought with us because we didn't really have time for shopping on our own. The days were exhausting but we loved it. If you like a slower pace and exploring on your own signing up for every excursion like we did might not be the best. You can go on as many or as few as you like. We loved our river cruise.

Depends on how you look at it. One good thing is we barely spent any of the cash we brought with us because we didn't really have time for shopping on our own. The days were exhausting but we loved it. If you like a slower pace and exploring on your own signing up for every excursion like we did might not be the best. You can go on as many or as few as you like. We loved our river cruise.
As @OhanaCuz said, you can go on as many or as few excursions as you like. In fact, when I did the Danube River cruise the first year they offered it, they really made a point of trying to get folks to understand that. You don't *have* to do everything. You are welcome to pick and choose and even change your mine. I'm also in the camp that signed up for everything, but others did not, and loved it.

Sayhello

As @OhanaCuz said, you can go on as many or as few excursions as you like. In fact, when I did the Danube River cruise the first year they offered it, they really made a point of trying to get folks to understand that. You don't *have* to do everything. You are welcome to pick and choose and even change your mine. I'm also in the camp that signed up for everything, but others did not, and loved it.

Sayhello
This is one thing I am curious about. How do you sign up for the excursions? Is there a maximum number of people that can go on a particular excursion? Will you possibly be shut out of an excursion when there are multiple options on one day? I plan to take full advantage of the fact that excursions are included. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!