Rivera resale December report sold for $150 per point

Yes, but it would not have gotten it down to $132. I’d say the buyer saved about $4800 going this route. That is a pretty nice savings, regardless of restrictions.

It does go to show that it’s so far selling for a bit more than many of us figured it would. I am surpised as my prediction was RIV would only sell around $100 or less.
I think I was confused on your original post regarding the rental because the two contracts (direct or resale) would be identical in that regard (both have the same income from rental) so it doesn’t differentiate any buying resale or direct.

I expected small contracts to be 140-150 (since those would be bought to stay there) and expected larger contracts to be 115-125. So this was a lot higher than I thought it be.

I think I was confused on your original post regarding the rental because the two contracts (direct or resale) would be identical in that regard (both have the same income from rental) so it doesn’t differentiate any buying resale or direct.

I expected small contracts to be 140-150 (since those would be bought to stay there) and expected larger contracts to be 115-125. So this was a lot higher than I thought it be.

I can see where my comment was confusing. You are right,,,buying an April UY now direct would also get those 2019 which could be rented too!

That is bonkers- why would you do it given the direct price? In fairness Beach Club also insane given years on contract but at least there is a decent ‘discount’ on direct there.

That is bonkers- why would you do it given the direct price? In fairness Beach Club also insane given years on contract but at least there is a decent ‘discount’ on direct there.
No idea. Makes 0 sense to buy it resale v direct at that price.

I wouldn't take small sample size like this and draw conclusions on where the resale price will find equilibrium. My personal take is that is way too much to pay given the restrictions and I would venture to guess that once more contracts go up for sale, the price will go far lower.

No idea. Makes 0 sense to buy it resale v direct at that price.

Unless someone has enough points already that trading out is not a concern and they have a blue membership card already.

Take me, I own 825 points...all which can be used at new resorts Adding on a restricted a contact was like this to be used at RIV wouldn’t be a huge deal and it saved closed to $5k over direct.

I agree it seems odd.

I wouldn't take small sample size like this and draw conclusions on where the resale price will find equilibrium. My personal take is that is way too much to pay given the restrictions and I would venture to guess that once more contracts go up for sale, the price will go far lower.

Absolutely. But the fact that we have even had two buyers who payed in the 140 and 150 range already is definitely still a surprise, especially since this one sold so quickly.

+1 for international buyer situation. In addition to saving on the purchase price, factor in the costs of having to make another trip to WDW to buy direct.

If it's an internationl buyer it's even weirder.
Resale restrictions don't just limit to one resort, they make cancelling a reservation more risky. For an international buyer would be more difficult to reschedule a vacation in case they need to cancel. And we don't know if there'll be availability within 60 days to use holding points.

Resale restrictions don't just limit to one resort, they make cancelling a reservation more risky. For an international buyer would be more difficult to reschedule a vacation in case they need to cancel. And we don't know if there'll be availability within 60 days to use holding points.

I think that is true for any buyer of resale at RIV. Cancellation outside 31 days, even with no holding points, will be tough because as you said, who knows what will be left.

It is really too bad we can’t get the details! It would soooo helpful in not having to speculate what they were thinking and why!

Last edited:
Do most International DVC members buy travel insurance? I would assume they do since I cant imagine a holiday to Disney would be cheap even with owning at DVC.

Do most International DVC members buy travel insurance? I would assume they do since I cant imagine a holiday to Disney would be cheap even with owning at DVC.

Good question! I definitely think if one has RIV resale in their membership, buying it would seem very prudent.

All it takes is one person willing to pay the higher price for the Riviera resale market price to remain higher. It remains to be seen if there are enough of these type of resale buyers out there than resale Riviera sellers. I still predict the market price will equalize to be lower, that the current sample size is too small and too early. But I am not taking any bets, I been known to be wrong many a times. We shall see though as time passes on.

Great3

Unless someone has enough points already that trading out is not a concern and they have a blue membership card already.

Take me, I own 825 points...all which can be used at new resorts Adding on a restricted a contact was like this to be used at RIV wouldn’t be a huge deal and it saved closed to $5k over direct.

I agree it seems odd.
Even if you have enough points I would not buy resale at that price. At least if I buy direct I can use at new resorts, so I would not need to buy another contract for the next new DVC resort.

Makes no sense whichever way people twist it. For 100, sure buy resale. For 150, it makes no sense.

Even if you have enough points I would not buy resale at that price. At least if I buy direct I can use at new resorts, so I would not need to buy another contract for the next new DVC resort.

Makes no sense whichever way people twist it. For 100, sure buy resale. For 150, it makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense to save almost $5k for someone who only needs and wants them for the 11 month advantage to just stay there.

Maybe not to you, but if one has other points to trade with, then adding an extra 160 for specific trips works.

People do this all the time.l..they pay extra for home resort advantage during special trips. I don’t know if I’d pay $150, but certainly would pay $140 if I decided I wanted more specifically to use with my other 175 RIV points.

Last edited:
Yes, but it would not have gotten it down to $132. I’d say the buyer saved about $4800 going this route. That is a pretty nice savings, regardless of restrictions.

It does go to show that it’s so far selling for a bit more than many of us figured it would. I am surpised as my prediction was RIV would only sell around $100 or less.
It will be interesting when more contracts come up for resale. You may not be far off the $100 or less once that happens. Low supply of resale (2 contracts or 1 at a time) . . . . higher price.

My understanding is that international buyers must be physically present to buy direct whereas they do not need to be present to buy resale. That could be the case here.
I purchased my direct addons over the phone from Canada. My initial contract was resale though.

It will be interesting when more contracts come up for resale. You may not be far off the $100 or less once that happens. Low supply of resale (2 contracts or 1 at a time) . . . . higher price.

Sure. We wont know where it will settle, but I never thought anyone would be interested in it anywhere close to that. My prediction now is we might see $120s in where it settles. Vs $100 or less

Now I own RIV, love what I have seen about the resort, and my opinion has changed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter