Riviera 50 pointer cleared ROFR at $121

Wakey

DIS Veteran
As reported by a new owner on DVC Fan Facebook, picked up a RIV 50 pointer for only $121. An SSR 50 pointer will go for similar money.

It is looking increasingly like once we see plenty of larger RIV contracts on the market, we will be looking at $100ish a point or maybe a bit less?

As reported by a new owner on DVC Fan Facebook, picked up a RIV 50 pointer for only $121. An SSR 50 pointer will go for similar money.

It is looking increasingly like once we see plenty of larger RIV contracts on the market, we will be looking at $100ish a point or maybe a bit less?

I had seen that as well and thought it was a decent price for the buyer. If they do settle around $100 I would seriously consider a 100-150 pt contract (though I would wait to see what all Reflections is going to be offering first).

I had seen that as well and thought it was a decent price for the buyer. If they do settle around $100 I would seriously consider a 100-150 pt contract (though I would wait to see what all Reflections is going to be offering first).
Yes I assume you know it can’t be used at Reflections and are saying that from a perspective it might tempt you over RIV.
As someone says on there, a small cheap RIV to use say every few years may be not bad. I wouldn’t like to be the original buyer taking that hit though. With a small contract you could more likely swallow those dues.

Yes I assume you know it can’t be used at Reflections and are saying that from a perspective it might tempt you over RIV.
As someone says on there, a small cheap RIV to use say every few years may be not bad. I wouldn’t like to be the original buyer taking that hit though. With a small contract you could more likely swallow those dues.
Yes, we're aware. From the looks of the concept art that we've seen so far I think we would rather hold off and buy (either direct or resale) at Reflections but if it ends up being a dumbed down version or we don't end up liking the amenities and final offerings then we'd consider buying Riviera. We do enjoy the skyliner and think that Riviera looks very nice so I wouldn't be opposed to being stuck booking there (at the right price).

As reported by a new owner on DVC Fan Facebook, picked up a RIV 50 pointer for only $121
I wouldn’t like to be the original buyer taking that hit though.

At 188 PP, the $67 difference seems maybe a bit larger than normal, but doesn't look to be too out of line with all of the other resale vs direct pricing. Aulani is basically going for $80 to $90 off currently on the resale market.

I thought they just never bought back during actively selling but I didn't think anything prevented them legally from doing it.

At 188 PP, the $67 difference seems maybe a bit larger than normal, but doesn't look to be too out of line with all of the other resale vs direct pricing. Aulani is basically going for $80 to $90 off currently on the resale market.
Not a good comparison, Copper Creek is, and a 50 pointer there goes for nearly $160

We don’t know for sure they paid full price Of $188 It is possible they bought more Rivera points, but had them split in smaller contracts. For whatever reason, they could have decided just to sell that one.

Regardless, even with incentives, it’s still at least a $40/pp loss, not counting the fees paid to broker.

Regardless, even with incentives, it’s still at least a $40/pp loss, not counting the fees paid to broker.
While I agree with that, if I went and bought SSR, OKW, AKL, PVB, VGF or pretty much any other resort direct, and then threw it on the resale market, I would likely see a similar loss.

A $67 loss (at the maximum), IMO doesn't seem too bad considering as @DebbieB mentioned that 50 points won't get much at Riviera, and since they are resale points, they cannot be used at any other resort. While I understand other's have different situations than myself, I personally don't know if I would take that contract if it was given to me for free. Without owning other Riviera points, I would be locked into those maintenance fees for 50 years on a contract that is nearly unusable for more than a couple of nights per year. It seems like the market for those points would have to be A) someone who owns more Riviera points or B) a local who is just looking for a weekend getaway once per year or C) Someone who comes down to WDW once every 3 years for 5 or 6 nights and REALLY loves Riveiera.

Except that CCV wasn't at $220 until it sold out....comparing to sold out prices doesn't show the actual decrease versus what the vast majority actually paid.
But maybe when Riviera sells out, and Disney bumps up the direct price to $280 per point, Riviera resale will be going for $213 PP. Whoever is buying CCV or RIV today on the resale market is comparing it to CCV or RIV direct pricing today. Historical pricing is irrelevant to the decision making process, which is what drives the market.

Except that CCV wasn't at $220 until it sold out....comparing to sold out prices doesn't show the actual decrease versus what the vast majority actually paid.

True, but from the buyers perspective in the current market (just using the round numbers noted above), a CC buyer has a choice of buying direct at $220 or saving $60 buying resale. A Riviera buyer has a choice of buying direct at $188 or saving $67 buying resale. Shockingly similar given the nasty restrictions at Riviera.

Slight side turn here.... Should we be rooting for low resale price or high resale price?

If the resale price on RIV is low, but direct sales don't dip more than historical trends, then its a win for Disney. They can ROFR at a lower price, without losing direct sales.

If the resale price on RIV is high (or atleast similar to historical trends), then us as owners win. I think the biggest fear for us current owners with these restrictions is that it will deteriorate the value of our own asset. If RIV resale is high, I think its an indicator that people are buying points to stay at their home resort, which means resale restrictions shouldn't have a material effect on our current contracts.

But maybe when Riviera sells out, and Disney bumps up the direct price to $280 per point, Riviera resale will be going for $213 PP. Whoever is buying CCV or RIV today on the resale market is comparing it to CCV or RIV direct pricing today. Historical pricing is irrelevant to the decision making process, which is what drives the market.
It is relevant as it shows a pattern (and this also isn't ancient history.....CCV just sold out this year). Did CCV resale jump in price when the sold out price came into effect? What would make people think that Riviera would have a massive jump once it sells out when that hasn't been the case previously? What was the actual difference when it was being sold at the direct price that nearly all buyers paid? People buying CCV resale now are more than likely comparing to Riviera or Aulani direct as most buyers don't even realize that you can buy sold out resorts direct from Disney. I mean people can justify Riviera all they want, that's fine. Personally I don't care where people buy. I'm considering Reflections direct once it comes out but I'm not going to try to claim that if it has the resale restriction that it won't have an affect on the resale prices.

I mean people can justify Riviera all they want, that's fine. Personally I don't care where people buy. I'm considering Reflections direct once it comes out but I'm not going to try to claim that if it has the resale restriction that it won't have an affect on the resale prices.
I'm not trying to justify Riviera. My opinion is that I would have thought the resale restrictions would have hurt the resale market much more than it appears to have based on the small sample size. The ~$60 difference between resale and direct seems to be right on par with the majority of other resorts direct vs resale prices.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts