Riviera 50 pointer cleared ROFR at $121

You can't take into account the discount for being stripped and not account for the premium for a smaller contract size.

Yes, people are making a big deal about this... but with the points stripped, the price paid is closer to $150/point (which is not bad at all).

I thought Soap_1984 was saying the opposite: That any stripped discount is erased by the small contract premium. So that the price is reflective of reality.

I need to read better... that is what he's saying...

The usual small contract (50 point) premium is ~$15.... so that does impact the price, but 2 years of points is $30. So this would imply ~$136...

That said, there is a strong market for small contracts, but a weak market for contracts that don't close until months from now.

My bottom line: It's complicated... but any one single contract doesn't mean much about the future settling price. This one, like the first one sold at $100 has a lot of extenuating circumstances.

I need to read better... that is what he's saying...

The usual small contract (50 point) premium is ~$15.... so that does impact the price, but 2 years of points is $30. So this would imply ~$136...

That said, there is a strong market for small contracts, but a weak market for contracts that don't close until months from now.

My bottom line: It's complicated... but any one single contract doesn't mean much about the future settling price. This one, like the first one sold at $100 has a lot of extenuating circumstances.
The market also never values stripped or banked points anywhere near that rate (even if they maybe should).

I think you flipped them. To get to DHS you have to get on the Skyliner go to CBR exit and get on another to DHS. Epcot is get on and go to Epcot. The book is still out on that stretch from CBR to Epcot. How often are they going to have to stop the line at RIV to let scooters, etc. board? Don’t forget that station will also be used by CBR guests too.

you're right -- I was basing it off my trip in October starting from CBR.

You can't take into account the discount for being stripped and not account for the premium for a smaller contract size. Also if I were buying now I would not expect to get 2019 points or if I did I'd expect to be paying the mf for those points. I just bought a contract with two years of points and it was not $30 more pp than a base line contact

If you want to stay at Riv as a new buyer you do have no choice but to buy there, but even the Riv apologists must admit that having 14 options must be more appealing to the vast majority of buyers. Thus resale Riv of going to be a very limited market; if the discount isn't massive you'd cough up the money and buy ditch

2019 MFs are actually negligible since the resort doesn't open until mid-december. They pro-rate the MFs for 2019.

You can't take into account the discount for being stripped and not account for the premium for a smaller contract size. Also if I were buying now I would not expect to get 2019 points or if I did I'd expect to be paying the mf for those points. I just bought a contract with two years of points and it was not $30 more pp than a base line contact

If you want to stay at Riv as a new buyer you do have no choice but to buy there, but even the Riv apologists must admit that having 14 options must be more appealing to the vast majority of buyers. Thus resale Riv of going to be a very limited market; if the discount isn't massive you'd cough up the money and buy ditch

You are right, I have seen a lot of posts that indicate Rivera resale will be attractive to a much smaller population of resale buyers than L14.

But, I also think that this contract would have sold for more if it was fully loaded...not $30 more...but certainly somewhat more, and I am going to venture to guess that the owner priced it where they did because it was stripped.

I just disagree that the prices were have seen for the 2 contracts sold...and I don’t count the $100 paid by the broker as something was off with that...are out of line given that it is still in active sales...and the beginning of them at that,

My belief is that even if RIVera could be used at L14, they wouldn’t have sold for much more than they did right now.

Yes, people are making a big deal about this... but with the points stripped, the price paid is closer to $150/point (which is not bad at all).
I don’t think so. People get that for a SSR or OKW 50 point contract. Under 100 pointers bring a premium and usually sell within hours.

I don’t think so. People get that for a SSR or OKW 50 point contract. Under 100 pointers bring a premium and usually sell within hours.
I know this is the conventional thought, but this may change with Riviera. The market for a small resale contract at Riviera is going to be very small because it has to be used at Riviera exclusively. For it to make sense, you really have to own another larger contract at Riviera already. 50 points on its own isn't going to go far.

I know there may be a few other very specific scenarios where it would make sense, but at the end of the day, Id imagine the demand for a small 50 point contract at SSR to have more demand than one at Riviera

I know this is the conventional thought, but this may change with Riviera. The market for a small resale contract at Riviera is going to be very small because it has to be used at Riviera exclusively. For it to make sense, you really have to own another larger contract at Riviera already. 50 points on its own isn't going to go far.

I know there may be a few other very specific scenarios where it would make sense, but at the end of the day, Id imagine the demand for a small 50 point contract at SSR to have more demand than one at Riviera
I think it's the opposite. An owner of the L14 resorts may want to add a small add on there to complement a split stay with an Epcot resort or stay there every other year.
I can see the market for larger contracts to be even worst than for other resorts. One must really be sure to like it to buy a large contract there.

A 50 point contract could be used in Adventure season, every other year, to get someone 6 nights in a SV studio.

Well having watched the videos of it, it’s nice, but a bit like BLT without the park outside. I don’t think I’d want to stay exclusively there with my points.

If a new-to-DVC buyer wants to actually book a stay at Riviera -- their only choices are to (1) buy direct or (2) buy DRR resale. They can't buy SSR resale and use those points.

Or buy direct somewhere else that is cheaper and has lower MFs. AKV, BRV, SSR and OKW apply here right or not anymore?

DRR has the advantage of getting to epcot in about 12 minutes and DHS in about 5 minutes (with less of a walk than the buses have for both DHS and epcot).

Road the skyliner for the first time today and was 30mins from the line at HS to Epcot. That is without any stops, a tiny line at CBR, and no requirement to wait on RIV loading where they have to send empty/semi-empty vehicles.

The friendship boat was pulling up right when we got off the skyliner and took 25 mins back to HS.

If you want to stay at Riv as a new buyer you do have no choice but to buy there, but even the Riv apologists must admit that having 14 options must be

See previous post about cheaper alternatives direct. I do agree though having the 14 options will be beneficial to most. RIV resale will be for those who want to stay no where else like many at BWV, BCV, GFV, POLY.

The market also never values stripped or banked points anywhere near that rate (even if they maybe should).

Completely agree. I was always surprised to see maybe a $2-5/point bump to get a fully loaded contract and the latest contract we didn't even have to pay MFs with 143 of 150 banked. Gladly paid an extra $2 on our first contract for the extra points.

Or buy direct somewhere else that is cheaper and has lower MFs. AKV, BRV, SSR and OKW apply here right or not anymore?

Road the skyliner for the first time today and was 30mins from the line at HS to Epcot. That is without any stops, a tiny line at CBR, and no requirement to wait on RIV loading where they have to send empty/semi-empty vehicles.

The friendship boat was pulling up right when we got off the skyliner and took 25 mins back to HS.

See previous post about cheaper alternatives direct. I do agree though having the 14 options will be beneficial to most. RIV resale will be for those who want to stay no where else like many at BWV, BCV, GFV, POLY.

Completely agree. I was always surprised to see maybe a $2-5/point bump to get a fully loaded contract and the latest contract we didn't even have to pay MFs with 143 of 150 banked. Gladly paid an extra $2 on our first contract for the extra points.

Yes, you can still get the resorts you mentioned for less than RIV less buying direct so that would be an option for a new buyer who doesn’t want to own RIV but at least wants qualified points to try to book it at 7 months.

Well having watched the videos of it, it’s nice, but a bit like BLT without the park outside. I don’t think I’d want to stay exclusively there with my points.

It is funny you say that because it’s one of the things that, after seeing more pictures of the resort, made me like it. I love BLT and it’s hotel feeling. While it may not be 5e castle, I actually like the view of a CBR...and The rooftops...reminds me of Key West!

For a long time I have thought the Resale Restriction would be a killer. Not so sure any more. As posted above, there are many passionate owners of places like BWV and GFV that only want to stay at those locations. The key will be in the Resort, will it have such a great appeal that many will only want to stay there. Will the Skyliner be a big enough/convenient mode of transportation that it becomes the best way to get around (at least to the 2 parks). Only time will tell, but if Disney is correct on the appeal of the Riviera, the resale restriction may not be as big a deterrent as I originally anticipated. I do have to say, I was at WDW last week and took a Skyliner ride to the Riviera from Epcot. The ride was scenic and uneventful (a good thing) and the Riviera really looks beautiful from the outside.

For a long time I have thought the Resale Restriction would be a killer. Not so sure any more. As posted above, there are many passionate owners of places like BWV and GFV that only want to stay at those locations. The key will be in the Resort, will it have such a great appeal that many will only want to stay there. Will the Skyliner be a big enough/convenient mode of transportation that it becomes the best way to get around (at least to the 2 parks). Only time will tell, but if Disney is correct on the appeal of the Riviera, the resale restriction may not be as big a deterrent as I originally anticipated. I do have to say, I was at WDW last week and took a Skyliner ride to the Riviera from Epcot. The ride was scenic and uneventful (a good thing) and the Riviera really looks beautiful from the outside.

I agree. As someone who reversed course and bought RIV, I wonder if it will be as bad as many of us think it will...me included!

I can see a person who loves the resort picking up a resale contract for use there along with having ownership at other resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!