Riviera only offers 2020 points?

KirbyAu

Earning My Ears
Hello,

I was speaking to our sales rep the other day and he mentioned that for Riviera the only points available for anyone who is buying at Riviera is 2020's points. That means that you're instantly borrowing. I always assumed you get points immediately and then it refreshes on the chosen Use Year. For example, if I bought Riviera at 200 points right with a February use year, I would expect to get 200 points right now then 200 points in 2020. He said that would not be the case since the resort isn't open yet. That I would need to be immediately borrow from 2020 to get points to use when Riviera opens in December. Does this sound right? I feel like I'm missing something...

(To be clear, I actually want a December Use Year haha)

Last edited:
Everyone gets 2019 points except for February. For some reason, if you buy a Feb UY, it starts with 2020 points. All other UY’s right now, Mar-Dec get 2019 points. This is confirmed and not a rumor. No one knows the reason why Feb doesn’t get 2019 points. My guide said it isn’t because it went on sale in March. It’s for some other mystery reason.

Everyone gets 2019 points except for February. For some reason, if you buy a Feb UY, it starts with 2020 points. All other UY’s right now, Mar-Dec get 2019 points. This is confirmed and not a rumor. No one knows the reason why Feb doesn’t get 2019 points. My guide said it isn’t because it went on sale in March. It’s for some other mystery reason.

Thanks for the information. I used February for that example but I actually asked our sales rep if that makes a difference since we actually want a December Use Year. He said it made no difference. So in that example February but we aren't that particular on Use Year. So I should get it for any other Use year?

Thanks for the information. I used February for that example but I actually asked our sales rep if that makes a difference since we actually want a December Use Year. He said it made no difference. So in that example February but we aren't that particular on Use Year. So I should get it for any other Use year?

That is correct. If you purchase any UY other than Feb, you will receive 2019 points. Your guide is incorrect and misinforming you. There was another poster who was told that if he purchased any UY, he would only get 2020 points as well. After he purchased a Feb UY, he called his guide and asked why he wasn't told that he would get 2019 points with other UYs. This guide said that he must have misunderstood as all other UYs get 2019 points. He assured us that his guide, like this one that you are talking about, was very clear that ALL UYs only got 2020 points, not just Feb. Maybe it's the same guide trying to push people into Feb UYs or something...

That is correct. If you purchase any UY other than Feb, you will receive 2019 points. Your guide is incorrect and misinforming you. There was another poster who was told that if he purchased any UY, he would only get 2020 points as well. After he purchased a Feb UY, he called his guide and asked why he wasn't told that he would get 2019 points with other UYs. This guide said that he must have misunderstood as all other UYs get 2019 points. He assured us that his guide, like this one that you are talking about, was very clear that ALL UYs only got 2020 points, not just Feb. Maybe it's the same guide trying to push people into Feb UYs or something...

Thank you so much for the information. Something just didn't sound right when he brought it up and I was very adamant about a December UY but I thought something might be messed up because the Riviera opens in December. I'll call back and ask. I truly appreciate it.

So just double checking so that I understanding correctly:

We buy Riviera 200 points right now, we get 200 points.

We choose December UY

December 2019 comes up, and we get 200 more points.

This means that in January 2020 we effectively have 600 points we could use from banking and borrowing 2019/2020/2021?

We choose December UY

This means that in January 2020 we effectively have 600 points we could use from banking and borrowing 2019/2020/2021?
No, if you buy December UY you get 2019 points on December 1, 2019 then in January 2020 you would have 200 in your current UY and 200 you could borrow from your 2020 UY. It's important UY and Calendar year are very separate.

Also I could be mistaken but I think anyone that buys Riviera doesn't technically get points until December 16, 2019 the opening date. Basically all Riviera points can't access their points for bookings unless the booking is after December 16, 2019, no matter the resort.

We choose December UY

As mentioned, it is 2019 points that buyers are starting with for all UYs except Feb. Feb doesn’t get points until 2020. With a Dec UY your would have points that start Dec 1st, 2019 and access to borrow from 2020 so up to 400 points for a reservation between Dec 16, 2019 and Nov 30; 2020. No Riviera points can be used for reservations prior to the Resort opening on Dec 16, 2019. MFs will also be prorated to Dec 16th for the 2019 points. Feb UY will have their 2020 points prorated to Feb 1, 2020 and of course no 2019 MFs.

So if someone were to buy a March use year would they be able to bank the 2019 points before the banking deadline is up since they can't use them til December?

So if someone were to buy a March use year would they be able to bank the 2019 points before the banking deadline is up since they can't use them til December?

You can bank points whenever you want. You cannot make reservations at any resort with Riviera points for stays before December 16, 2019. You could buy a March UY and bank your points immediately to use for a trip for March 2020-February 2021.

We got a March use year and got 2019 points. They were pushing a December use year and said they had to get approval for any other month. I really wanted February but I would not have gotten 2019 points so I chose March. December use year will have points available for December 2019. 407581

We got a March use year and got 2019 points. They were pushing a December use year and said they had to get approval for any other month. I really wanted February but I would not have gotten 2019 points so I chose March. December use year will have points available for December 2019. View attachment 407581

Awesome thanks for the confirmation! December actually works best for my family since the industry I work in we can’t really go from west coast to east coast during September/October/November. Fortunately, we go to Disneyland all the time so that is all decked out during Christmas time.

I bought Sept UY and received the 2019 points immediately but as others have commented they can only be used for stays after Riviera opens.

This is so very confusing. We bought at Riviera and booked for May 2020. I was advised that as we did not pay a maintenance fee for 2019 we did not have points for this year. We could have booked for January but was waiting for the better weather. Also, as previous post stated, you do not get to use the points until the resort is actually open.

This is so very confusing. We bought at Riviera and booked for May 2020. I was advised that as we did not pay a maintenance fee for 2019 we did not have points for this year. We could have booked for January but was waiting for the better weather. Also, as previous post stated, you do not get to use the points until the resort is actually open.

What is your UY?

Also, no matter what, "paying MF's" has next to nothing to do with what points you get. You were told incorrectly on that.

I ended up buying October use year for Riviera. My online account shows that in October 2019, I will receive full 2019 points. I was already able to book a Feb 2020 reservation using those points so even though points aren't "granted" for use yet, the system automatically knows that your trip falls within your use year of those points and it will allow you to book using those points. What is your Use Year? I believe you just want to make sure you bank those 2019 points if your trip won't fall during your 2019 UY.

You don't have to wait until December 16th to log on and make the reservation. You can make a reservation today, tomorrow, whenever for any trip scheduled December 16th onwards. You cannot make a reservation for any stay that occurs before December 16th. For example, I can make a reservation today for January 1st, 2020 because that falls after December 16th, 2019. I cannot make a reservation today for October 31st, 2019 because that trip would happen before December 16th, 2019. It has nothing to do with when you log on to make the reservation. The only thing to remember is that the dates of your stay must be December 16th or later.

You don't have to wait until December 16th to log on and make the reservation. You can make a reservation today, tomorrow, whenever for any trip scheduled December 16th onwards. You cannot make a reservation for any stay that occurs before December 16th. For example, I can make a reservation today for January 1st, 2020 because that falls after December 16th, 2019. I cannot make a reservation today for October 31st, 2019 because that trip would happen before December 16th, 2019. It has nothing to do with when you log on to make the reservation. The only thing to remember is that the dates of your stay must be December 16th or later.
yes, I made my reservation for May 1, 2020. Wanted better weather and the Flower and Garden Festival. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!