Riviera or GF in December?

mlee.sunny

Mouseketeer
Hi! Just wanted some feedback on what to do.
We have a lake view studio booked at the Grand and are contemplating switching to Riviera.
We've never stayed at either resort.
Which do you think would be a better resort to stay at? It would be a five point savings to switch (not that that part really makes a difference)
I'm kind of leaning towards keeping the Grand for Christmas decorations but DH wants to try out the new resort :)

I would keep GF since you're unlikely to ever get that again for December if you don't own there. Riviera will probably take another couple years to sell out, so you may be able to squeeze in there as they keep declaring more inventory.

depends if you want to stay in the best resort there is or settle for VGF 😉

if you're there more than one night, maybe consider a split stay? if not a split stay, maybe stay at VGF and head to a meal at Topolino's at RVA to get a taste of both (pun intended); or vice versa (RVA stay w/ meal at Grand Floridian Café)

as lovely as the resort is, I can't imagine RVA's decorations being anywhere near the level of VGF; though personally, I recognize my partner's happiness > my own happiness so if I were you, I'd be figuring out how to get myself to RVA ... 😀

unfortunately, the booking gods may have made the decision for you; no availability for RVA in standard or preferred deluxe studios in Dec 2020; there is one night (16 Dec) in a tower studio if it's just the two of you (they only sleep two); certainly plans will change so if you do want RVA, just keep checking the booking tool to see if someone else has cancelled

RVA deluxe studio - standard
View attachment 507447

RVA deluxe studio - preferred
View attachment 507446

RVA tower studio
View attachment 507445
I also doubted thee would be any availability For studios without looking. Studios at RIV seem to go fast for a lot of the year. It looks like Standard View studios might be harder to get them Tower studios, when I was checking some availability in the spring.

I also doubted thee would be any availability For studios without looking. Studios at RIV seem to go fast for a lot of the year. It looks like Standard View studios might be harder to get them Tower studios, when I was checking some availability in the spring.
Studio Standard and Tower will be hard to get since there are less of them then the Preferred Studios. IF you are open to a split stay then you could stalk the last day of your trip and if a RIV room comes up, cancel you last day at GF and then get the RIV room. Im not to certain on the backend coding (pretty sure its when it asks where you want the points to come from) of at what point it checks your contract point availability, but when the RIV last day comes up, select it on the calendar and click continue which will hold the room and wait at that screen. Then in another window cancel your last day at GF via res modification. Once completed go back to RIV window and continue booking for your last day. This should allow you to not loose the last day at RIV while freeing up the points from the last day GF stay. Now at the current DVC side room stock, the room availability data I have for RIV for Dec, shows even at 10-11 months there are 3-8 days on average available within a two week span for both Std and Preferred studios, with Preferred having just a few days more available then Std. So I would stalk it if your thinking about doing a RIV stay and when they declare more or a cancellation happens and there is no waitlist, it should pop up.

Riviera since the food is better and to stay in the GF tower is way over priced. I like to visit the Grand and hang out with the band.

Hi! Just wanted some feedback on what to do.
We have a lake view studio booked at the Grand and are contemplating switching to Riviera.
We've never stayed at either resort.
Which do you think would be a better resort to stay at? It would be a five point savings to switch (not that that part really makes a difference)
I'm kind of leaning towards keeping the Grand for Christmas decorations but DH wants to try out the new resort :)
The Riviera is nice at Christmas but very contemporary and stark although beautiful. You may like this theming. For me the traditional victorian Grand Floridian hits the mark. I have stayed at the GF twice over the Christmas holiday. I have not stayed at the Riviera but did visit last Christmas the week they opened. The rooms are beautiful, new and pristine. The GF villas are very "tired". However, I personally would still choose GF on the monorail AND the walkway to Magic Kingdom may be open by Christmas. What an asset.

Another vote for GF. GF is a beautiful resort and at Christmas it's especially pretty. I don't think you will be sorry with your choice. Like another poster said you can always stay at RV another time and you could go there for a meal this trip. Maybe ride the Skyliner from IG at Epcot to RV for lunch or dinner. You will get to see the Christmas decorations at both locations, resort hopping which is always a nice thing to do. I hope you have a magical trip! :tink:

What are the chances of getting a 1BD at VGF at 7 month window for first week in December...not for this year, just thinking and planning ahead?

VGF definitely. We got to stay there in August 2018 in a
2 bedroom...beautiful! Plus your on the monorail and a boat or perhaps a walkway to MK! And as previous posters have mentioned that GF even more stunning at Christmas time. The decorations, Gingerbread House and the live Christmas music! Enjoy!

We are 🤞🏻🙏 that we will be there this November. A spilt stay a SSR and Rivera for the first time! 😎👍🏻

VGF definitely. We got to stay there in August 2018 in a
2 bedroom...beautiful! Plus your on the monorail and a boat or perhaps a walkway to MK! And as previous posters have mentioned that GF even more stunning at Christmas time. The decorations, Gingerbread House and the live Christmas music! Enjoy!

We are 🤞🏻🙏 that we will be there this November. A spilt stay a SSR and Rivera for the first time! 😎👍🏻
Thank you and enjoy your stay in November.
🤞🙏

Thanks, everyone! While I was debating, the booking gods made my mind up for me to keep VGF.
Now to break the sad news to my husband :P
I think you'll enjoy either! Our last Disney trip was a split stay between VGF and RIV over Xmas and New Years - If given the choice in the future, we'd do it again the same way: Christmas at VGF (decorations, MVMCP fireworks), and New Year's at Riv - possibility of seeing Epcot and/or MK fireworks - from our balcony at Riviera, we saw the MK New Year's fireworks with the Epcot ball in the foreground.

The decorations at Riviera were there, but much more understated (admittedly, they'd just opened). Still very pretty, but not as elaborate as VGF.

What are the chances of getting a 1BD at VGF at 7 month window for first week in December...not for this year, just thinking and planning ahead?
I own there, and even the 1BR stds were being walked in December. I can't remember if I walked, or just booked at 8am at 11 months to the day. If you want to be sure you can get it, I'd consider renting points.

I think you'll enjoy either! Our last Disney trip was a split stay between VGF and RIV over Xmas and New Years - If given the choice in the future, we'd do it again the same way: Christmas at VGF (decorations, MVMCP fireworks), and New Year's at Riv - possibility of seeing Epcot and/or MK fireworks - from our balcony at Riviera, we saw the MK New Year's fireworks with the Epcot ball in the foreground.

The decorations at Riviera were there, but much more understated (admittedly, they'd just opened). Still very pretty, but not as elaborate as VGF.

I own there, and even the 1BR stds were being walked in December. I can't remember if I walked, or just booked at 8am at 11 months to the day. If you want to be sure you can get it, I'd consider renting points.
Thank you for the info. Since we own at AKV, we were thinking of trying something different. Either way we will be happy because we will be in Disney and hopefully by December 2021 things will be back to the old normal.

Just had to share my excitement! After diligent stalking of the website, we’re staying 3 nights at the Grand and 3 nights at Poly the week after Thanksgiving (originally 1 night at Grand/5 nights at Poly) Still debating whether I should continue the stalking to try and switch the Poly nights to Riviera, but I don’t know if I can do more of this! 😜

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter