Riviera Resale-Wow?

This is just bad math. Hilton Head points are some of the most expensive in the system, and they paid more than you did, in dues and maybe even in total ownership, since that seems to be your measure of worthiness. So, they are actually BETTER DVC members than you, by your analysis.

https://www.dvcresalemarket.com/blog/best-economical-dvc-resort-to-purchase-spring-2020/
It's me who stayed next door to you at VGF with cheap SSR points you are talking about. And my room was the same as yours.
and yes, i practice what i preach...someone who owns 1000 points, 1500 points is totally a more important dvc member than us! i cant believe we are arguing that point.

i mean, yeah. by the tone of your post, i feel like you think you are taking the moral highground, when i didnt think that was even the question here. i clearly have the moral highground. entitlement is the feeling that you have the right to something that you didnt earn, which is exactly what you are saying with the airplane analogy. we get upgraded all the time at hotels, but of course we dont deserve it and deserve lesser perks! you paid for business class while someone paid for first...of course they deserve more perks. someone paid $70000 for their car while i paid $400000, of course they deserve all the newest bells and whistles and i dont. i mean, i could go on with examples forever. i doubt you would say "how come that person gets more nights on disney property even though we both own dvc". well, they paid more for more points. more points (more money) means more nights. more money (paying more direct with disney) comes with more perks. whether someone who pays more deserves more i dont think is the argument at all right? yes, well take the upgrade at the hotel, but know full well we didnt deserve it and are grateful for the luck.

I think you missed my point, and perhaps it was the way I colored my post; I agree there was an obvious "tone".
I actually did feel grateful, in that airplane analogy, when I was upgraded. But when having the shoe on the other foot, when we paid for Business Class on a vacation to Hawaii, and there was a passenger that was given a complementary upgrade to business from coach, and I know this because we chatted across the aisle to one another, I did not begrudge his ability to partake in all of the benefits that business class afforded him. That's what wrinkled my brow, when first reading your post. I had a DVC owner that bought their Aulani points direct from Disney, and when I used my SSR points (My Direct SSR points-FYI) to grab a January reservation there, she was not happy about it. She didn't think that anyone who paid considerably less per point than she did should be able to use those points for the "higher priced" resort. That attitude is mystifying to me. Do I feel grateful when I can get a BWV studio in January at 78 points, with the SSR points I bought resale? Grateful - Yes! Lucky - No ! Luck has nothing to do with it. If I plan ahead and am diligent, I'm getting a better bang for my DVC buck, and that shouldn't "chap" anyone. That's just leveraging my resources. I think the feeling that someone else should not enjoy that same airplane seat as you, because they didn't "deserve it", they're the ones with a false feeling of entitlement.
Regardless, I appreciate your sharing your views on this and, if we're ever DVC neighbors on vacation, I'll buy you a coffee and we can chat until we find some more common interests, beyond our Disney habit. :goodvibes

Disney sets the exchange rate between resorts and could give SSR points a different trading value than VGF points if they wanted to. The fact that they don't means it is not worth the effort to them to bother doing so (yet). Other than the home resort booking window, a point is a point, doesn't matter where you own or how you got it. The only thing Disney is getting from you is their management fees off your dues.

As for perks, members don't pay for them and they are meant solely to attract NEW customers.

someone paid $70000 for their car while i paid $400000, of course they deserve all the newest bells and whistles and i dont. i mean, i could go on with examples forever.

So this means you turned down all the incentives on DVC and paid the full $195 per point, right? After all, you need to protect the value of your investment.

Did you know that with incentives others were able to pay as little as $165 per point and they got THE SAME PRODUCT AS YOU??? THE HORROR! That must really grind your gears, the rifraff is paying $30 per point less and getting all the same stuff! How do you sleep at night?

I agree that we are getting way off topic. Let’s get back to discussing RIV resale and the prices it is going for and what people think about it.

We all get to agree to disagree about how people become members.
I don't remember seeing it mentioned but there is a 160 point contract in the ROFR thread:

DisneyFanThi---$133-$23300.60-160-RIV-Mar-0/19, 320/20, 160/21, 160/22- sent 9/15

This thread is getting hard to read...
I just went to see the doctor and explained, “Doctor, I need your help. Some mornings I wake up thinking I’m Mickey Mouse, and other times I think I’m Donald Duck!”

The doctor nodded. “I see. And how long have you been having these Disney spells?”

I hope that cheered up the thread:rotfl2:

While RIV resale prices will probably be lower now because of the resale restriction, in 20 years from now I don't expect there to be any impact because of the resale restrictions provided DVC keeps that restriction on all new resorts going forward.

Did someone mentioned this postulate: If there exist RIV direct owners, who only ever wanted to book RIV and never wanted to sell, then those same owners would see RIV resale as cheaper way to achieve their goal.

Might not be a lot of such people in existence. Then again, if we consider that I’m not the smartest guy and far from good looking, nor do I have much money, and even I got my wife to say yes to my proposal. We shouldn’t be so surprised that someone actually bought RIV resale!

Did someone mentioned this postulate: If there exist RIV direct owners, who only ever wanted to book RIV and never wanted to sell, then those same owners would see RIV resale as cheaper way to achieve their goal.

Might not be a lot of such people in existence. Then again, if we consider that I’m not the smartest guy and far from good looking, nor do I have much money, and even I got my wife to say yes to my proposal. We shouldn’t be so surprised that someone actually bought RIV resale!

I think those people definitely exist because it’s people with other contracts that like that resort which is why direct sales need big incentives. A lot of the early direct sales are existing members, existing members like that resale value and already have blue cards. If they want to stay there, they’ll buy resale and trade around with their other contracts. I’m definitely interested in a small resale contract. I’d buy 100 points at $110/pt all day long, I think that was a one off. Would love to stay there for a race weekend as one example.

I have direct RIV points and will want to add more down the road and if I can get a great savings resale I will go that route,

But, I also have tons of points to be used elsewhere, including my direct RiV. So, adding RIV resale makes perfect sense in a few years.

no, its not being proud of spending more money. its "i paid $70000 for my luxury car and want others to pay the same i paid". like, if you live in a neighborhood where every house cost the same identical 200000, and then one of your neighbors list their home for sale for 110000, it would chap you some yeah?

A real eastate asset is one thing, a luxury prepaid vacation is another. It's like being upset because someone staying at your hotel got it with Priceline for 50% off or after you've bought a new TV you find the same model 30% off during Black Friday.
But if you want to go down the route of "DVC is an assett", then the resale restrictions do lower the value of that asset, because if you want to resell it, then it's worth less.

Enjoy your future vacations: if you're happy about the price you paid, that's all you should care about

Honestly, I think people like the resort and are willing to buy it even with restrictions, They do know because brokers disclose that information to them.

I am surprised by the price as well, but I do wonder if many of the buyers are current owners who have other points

I said this in the other thread that I know plenty of people who stay at the same WDW resort all the time who are not DVC.

I definitely think things will level out in the next year or so if And when more sell, but so far, it’s performing much better than people thought,

While I have not yet stayed, I did tour the grounds and love it. It is now one of my top resorts which never thought I’d say.
You haven’t stayed there yet??? I am surprised. Were your stays cancelled because of health issues??? You are such a cheerleader for the resort, just wondering.

We do not own there and have a three night stay planned for March. We had a Tower studio booked for one trip this year that we cancelled.

No one can be criticised for balancing their objectives and making an informed purchase.

My thought though is people who don’t really know or understand the restrictions are overpaying and only realise later.

it’s only when you go on some of the Facebook groups you see them full of people who even after some years of ownership, don’t understand what they bought. Some still have bought resale.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter