Riviera-wait to buy?

s*a*r*a*h

Earning My Ears
I REALLY want to buy at Riviera. To me it looks gorgeous! I have a big birthday in 2022 and was already looking to go ‘all out’ on a celebratory visit to WDW going through my usual Disney hotel route. After pricing it up (club level GF with deluxe dining) it was the best part of £20,000 for the two of us. I can buy 100 points at Riviera for £15000. I’m not worried about the resale restrictions as for me I was going to be spending the same amount on a one off visit as compared to the direct dvc purchase. My big concern is that there won’t be anything left when it comes to me buying. I was hoping to wait until early spring 2021 to buy my points ready to use them for the following summer visit (2022). I don’t want or need to buy earlier as I am not visiting until 2022. Any ideas of how long a dvc resort like this takes to sell out? Many thanks in advance!

I REALLY want to buy at Riviera. To me it looks gorgeous! I have a big birthday in 2022 and was already looking to go ‘all out’ on a celebratory visit to WDW going through my usual Disney hotel route. After pricing it up (club level GF with deluxe dining) it was the best part of £20,000 for the two of us. I can buy 100 points at Riviera for £15000. I’m not worried about the resale restrictions as for me I was going to be spending the same amount on a one off visit as compared to the direct dvc purchase. My big concern is that there won’t be anything left when it comes to me buying. I was hoping to wait until early spring 2021 to buy my points ready to use them for the following summer visit (2022). I don’t want or need to buy earlier as I am not visiting until 2022. Any ideas of how long a dvc resort like this takes to sell out? Many thanks in advance!

The price is likely to go up between now and then. I can't speak on if it will sell out, but other recent DVC resorts have sold out in less time.

Thank you, that does put my mind at ease. In the meantime I can enjoy LOTS of dvc research!

I mean to cite the obvious RIV DVC < GFV CL. Make sure you understand what you are not getting with this.

I mean you likely could rent the room from RIV for a fraction the price (and I mean direct from Disney not DVC rent). Not sure if GFV CL gets discounts but your RIV purchase won't include the Dining Plan and you will have maintenance fees remember.

If you visit a lot and RIV is what your heart set on then go for it.

Also being from the UK are you visiting for 2 weeks or how long? Have you done the math on how many nights 100 points gets you?

It's not even a week stay in a studio. People say you can book Tower Rooms for now but remember lots of new owners will be coming in over the next two years that buy that same 100-150 point total.

https://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacation-club/riviera-points.htm

I would also say with 100 points in 2022 you can bank 2020 into 2021 but then what will you do with the banked points? Sounds like to me you want to go all out, id wait and buy a loaded resale contract 6 months before you go and stay at gf. If you love Riv just buy a loaded resale contract and save yourself $80per point.

I'd also say there are no purchasing incentives if you're only buying 100 points direct.

Thank you for this very useful information. The main reason I am temped with Riviera is the drop down second bed in the deluxe studios. I will be purchasing with my sister and don’t much like the idea of one of us staying on a sofa bed. A one bed villa is just far too expensive though! You are right though, I would much prefer GF than RIV and can get a fully loaded 100 point contract on resale for around $20000. This won’t quite cover us points wise (plan on visiting for 10 nights every second year through bank or borrow) Until I can add more points! Food for thought (maybe I can persuade my sister onto that sofa bed!).
In your experience, should I be overly hesitant of the additional stress resale compared to direct will add? It’s putting me off as I’m new to dvc.

Thank you for this very useful information. The main reason I am temped with Riviera is the drop down second bed in the deluxe studios. I will be purchasing with my sister and don’t much like the idea of one of us staying on a sofa bed. A one bed villa is just far too expensive though! You are right though, I would much prefer GF than RIV and can get a fully loaded 100 point contract on resale for around $20000. This won’t quite cover us points wise (plan on visiting for 10 nights every second year through bank or borrow) Until I can add more points! Food for thought (maybe I can persuade my sister onto that sofa bed!).
In your experience, should I be overly hesitant of the additional stress resale compared to direct will add? It’s putting me off as I’m new to dvc.

You also don't need to buy VGF to stay at vgf, especially if you are staying in a one or two bedroom.

For example, I just bought at animal kingdom. Contract was $120 a point for 160 points and came with 300 banked points and I paid no MF (the use year was June so I pay 2020 maintenance fees). I could book five nights today at vgf for may in a two bedroom (and the whole month is available at vgf, BLT etc in a two bedroom). That's about $400 more than your 100 point contract at riviera and $1 less a point in maintenance fees. (EDIT Sorry not all 300 were banked: 140 were banked and 160 of the points are the 2019 use year points.)

Just some food for thought. as I'm writing this I'm forgetting what time of year you want to go. I would say that if you are always planning on going during the very busy times you should definitely try and buy where you want to stay. If you're only going every other year you can bank and borrow etc and stay in one bedrooms which are much easier to get at the seven month mark in general.

Resale buying is fine BTW. It made no difference to me but there are some threads talking about the difference. If you aren't in a rush (which you aren't) then there's no issue. I own 200 direct as well. It isn't as fun as buying at disney buying resale but I like saving the money (or getting more points for the same money).

Last edited:
You also don't need to buy VGF to stay at vgf, especially if you are staying in a one or two bedroom.

For example, I just bought at animal kingdom. Contract was $120 a point for 160 points and came with 300 banked points and I paid no MF (the use year was June so I pay 2020 maintenance fees). I could book five nights today at vgf for may in a two bedroom (and the whole month is available at vgf, BLT etc in a two bedroom). That's about $400 more than your 100 point contract at riviera and $1 less a point in maintenance fees. (EDIT Sorry not all 300 were banked: 140 were banked and 160 of the points are the 2019 use year points.)

Just some food for thought. as I'm writing this I'm forgetting what time of year you want to go. I would say that if you are always planning on going during the very busy times you should definitely try and buy where you want to stay. If you're only going every other year you can bank and borrow etc and stay in one bedrooms which are much easier to get at the seven month mark in general.

Resale buying is fine BTW. It made no difference to me but there are some threads talking about the difference. If you aren't in a rush (which you aren't) then there's no issue. I own 200 direct as well. It isn't as fun as buying at disney buying resale but I like saving the money (or getting more points for the same money).
Thank you so much for this! I am planning on using it at busy times unfortunately. Usually August but sometimes Easter as well. We are restricted to school holidays. Otherwise, the idea of buying cheaper points and using them at grand Floridian a seven month mark would be ideal! I am just not sure I should take the risk, just in case. However, I can see me getting addicted and adding on at other resorts later down the line. Thank you also for your reassurance on resale. I have plenty of time to look into this!

I believe that if the VGF is your resort of choice, I would buy there to start and decide later on if Rivera is a place to own.

DVC is way too expensive to buy in somewhere cheaper and hope that at 7 months you will get what you want. I have had success getting in to VGF at the 7 month window in both May, August, and June in a studio. But the May trip required a little bit of work.

Obviously, the drawback of resale are the restrictions to L14 and the loss of direct member benefits. However, if you don’t see yourself visiting enough to take advantage of the DVC AP, they are benefits that aren’t going to be worth paying extra for a direct purchase,

As already mentioned, if you wait until 2021 to buy, the price for Rivera could be higher, If you buy now, whether VGF or RIV, what you could do is rent or Transfer those 2019 and 2020 points the contracts may have, which would cover MFs for owning earlier And give you extra to offset the cost.

Buy where you don’t mind staying so that you can always book there at 11 months and at 7 months, try your luck elsewhere. If you find you can’t trade, then at least where you are, you will be happy.

Good luck!

I don’t want or need to buy earlier as I am not visiting until 2022.

First red flag: do you visit WDW on average every other year? You can make it work if you visit every three years, but it's more complicated and at greater risk of losing points. If you don't visit at least every 2/3 years then DVC is really not for you.

After pricing it up (club level GF with deluxe dining) it was the best part of £20,000 for the two of us.

I'm sure you know, but you're comparing two very different things. Club level at the most expensive WDW resort with deluxe dining doesn't compare at all with a DVC studios. Long term you would have an inferior experience (vastly inferior, if you compare deluxe dining + club level) for less money. If the compromises of a timeshare are fine for you, then go for it, but be sure to understand all the differences between an hotel room and a DVC studio.

Thank you for this very useful information. The main reason I am temped with Riviera is the drop down second bed in the deluxe studios.

SSR is going through a refurbishment right now and it will have the murphy bed in all rooms instead of the sofa bed. The same should happen to all resorts, new or when they undergo their next hard good refurbishment.

Thank you so much for this! I am planning on using it at busy times unfortunately. Usually August but sometimes Easter as well.

DVC busy times do not always correspond to WDW busy times. August and Easter, for example, are slow season for DVC and it's easier to switch at 7 months for other resorts during those times. Studios are, however, the most difficult category to book, so it's important that you buy a resort which you don't mind to stay at. If you think you won't like it, then don't buy SSR even if it's the cheapest option. But the new rooms look gorgeous and the proximity to Disney Springs can be valuable for two adults traveling to WDW, I think.

Are you aware of the Riviera resale restrictions and how they may impact the value of your contract long term in case you need to sell?

Have you considered buying resale? I guess you're looking to buy an 80 points contract at RIV, given you look to spend 15k. With 80 points you wouldn't qualify for membership extras (AP, dining and merchandise discounts, special events) anyway and if you don't visit too often probably the extra wouldn't be of great value to you anyway. You can buy 100 points resale at SSR for around 10k, have cheaper yearly maintenance fees and still exchange with all the original 14 resorts (but not with Riviera or future resorts, unfortunately). August is probably the easiest season to switch at 7 months to other resorts.

With waiting to buy, which month next year for a Dec UY do they start giving you double the points (last yr and this yr) at RIV since it just opened this dec?

With waiting to buy, which month next year for a Dec UY do they start giving you double the points (last yr and this yr) at RIV since it just opened this dec?

You could buy on Jan 1 and pay no 2019 dues. You only pay the proportion of dues for time the resort is open (Dec 16-31) currently but receive full 2019 entitlement.

The double points is nothing more than someone who buys late in a UY. You always get current UY points when you buy,

For Rivera, right now, you can get 2019 UY points for all UYs but February.
Once we hit March 1st, then March won’t get them as it will be the 2020 UY for that month Once the April 2020 UY starts, you won’t get 2019 for that UY, and that continues as each UY hits its start date.

I bought Rivera at end of October for my Aug UY, and got 2019 UY point because we are still in the 2019 UY.

Dues are based on calendar year and not UY. Disney prorates them from the dare you buy for that calendar year, or from the resort opening date for new resorts...that is why people who bought this year only have 2 weeks of dues..

haven't read through the comments -- but if you buy now -- you can simply rent the unused points in 2020 and 2021 and essentially get a rebate. You should be able to make at least $9-$12 in excess of your maintenance fees each year -- so you're looking at reducing the purchase price by about $2000 USD.

Or you bank your 2021 points into 2022 and use the extra points to book a 1BR villa and really blow it out.

My only question though is will 100 points be enough for the length of your planned stay?

First red flag: do you visit WDW on average every other year? You can make it work if you visit every three years, but it's more complicated and at greater risk of losing points. If you don't visit at least every 2/3 years then DVC is really not for you.

I'm sure you know, but you're comparing two very different things. Club level at the most expensive WDW resort with deluxe dining doesn't compare at all with a DVC studios. Long term you would have an inferior experience (vastly inferior, if you compare deluxe dining + club level) for less money. If the compromises of a timeshare are fine for you, then go for it, but be sure to understand all the differences between an hotel room and a DVC studio.

SSR is going through a refurbishment right now and it will have the murphy bed in all rooms instead of the sofa bed. The same should happen to all resorts, new or when they undergo their next hard good refurbishment.

DVC busy times do not always correspond to WDW busy times. August and Easter, for example, are slow season for DVC and it's easier to switch at 7 months for other resorts during those times. Studios are, however, the most difficult category to book, so it's important that you buy a resort which you don't mind to stay at. If you think you won't like it, then don't buy SSR even if it's the cheapest option. But the new rooms look gorgeous and the proximity to Disney Springs can be valuable for two adults traveling to WDW, I think.

Are you aware of the Riviera resale restrictions and how they may impact the value of your contract long term in case you need to sell?

Have you considered buying resale? I guess you're looking to buy an 80 points contract at RIV, given you look to spend 15k. With 80 points you wouldn't qualify for membership extras (AP, dining and merchandise discounts, special events) anyway and if you don't visit too often probably the extra wouldn't be of great value to you anyway. You can buy 100 points resale at SSR for around 10k, have cheaper yearly maintenance fees and still exchange with all the original 14 resorts (but not with Riviera or future resorts, unfortunately). August is probably the easiest season to switch at 7 months to other resorts.

This is all so helpful. Thank you very much for taking the time. I usually visit every year (or every other) but am waiting until 2022 for our 'BIG birthday' so that we love it even more during that visit with lots of new things to see. WDW is expanding so much! I'm glad you pointed out that Deluxe hotel rooms are different to DVC rooms. I had wrongly presumed they would be of a similar level. On second research it does look like a 1 bed villa would be wonderful. I am now in the process of weighing up the points needed for that at other properties on resale (taking into account the shorter deed as I am most interested in Boardwalk) against the studio at Riviera: 300 pt vs 200 pt for 10 days but at a similar price...hmmm! I am also pleased you pointed out the refurb at Saratoga Springs. I had no idea. It looks incredible! The price is a draw too. The only thing putting me off there is the transport links. I really do like the idea of having some sort of direct transportation for my home resort. Also (sounds a bit silly but...) we will be two sisters holidaying together can get a bit nervous walking around at night. Silly as it's Disney I know! The thought of long walks around the resort puts me off here and OKW.
Your post opened my eyes to the advantages of the resale market so thank you.

haven't read through the comments -- but if you buy now -- you can simply rent the unused points in 2020 and 2021 and essentially get a rebate. You should be able to make at least $9-$12 in excess of your maintenance fees each year -- so you're looking at reducing the purchase price by about $2000 USD.

Or you bank your 2021 points into 2022 and use the extra points to book a 1BR villa and really blow it out.

My only question though is will 100 points be enough for the length of your planned stay?
Thank you. I would love to buy now but am still saving. Oh it is boring! I will need two years worth of points to stay 10 nights at the Riviera so if buying there I would plan on buying in early 2021 and banking those points to use the following year. Then either holidaying every other year, or in reality, buying more points once I have saved more. I can see it becoming addictive!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!