Riviera-wait to buy?

Buy resale. What about poly?
I am looking into resale now after lots of lovely help on here. Thank you! I hadn't thought of poly but shall have a look as the monorail certainly is a draw. I'm going to look into the '2nd bed' situation as if it is a sofa bed we would need a 1 bed villa I think. Do I remember from a DVC sales pitch years ago that they don't exist at the poly?

I am looking into resale now after lots of lovely help on here. Thank you! I hadn't thought of poly but shall have a look as the monorail certainly is a draw. I'm going to look into the '2nd bed' situation as if it is a sofa bed we would need a 1 bed villa I think. Do I remember from a DVC sales pitch years ago that they don't exist at the poly?

They do not. It is a problem if studios are not your number one pick. (Poly studios are big!) But yes, they just have the studios and bungalows (too expensive/just for show IMO). I think I said “what about poly” because it has a long contract, almost as long as riviera, low maintenance fees, is on the monorail, and the poly resale contracts are very reasonably priced.

We wanted to buy dvc for a long time and got serious about 2 years ago. We never thought we would buy resale. We did not trust the entire resale option. We were planning on 200-300 points direct. But... after reading extensively on these boards we jumped in on resale and were able to buy almost double the points we would have purchased direct. Any resale contract at any resort is much, much less expensive than direct. You can always go back later and add the minimum points direct for the blue card if you find you need it.

Good luck with whatever you decide! These boards are great, so keep reading!

Last edited:
They do not. It is a problem if studios are not your number one pick. (Poly studios are big!) But yes, they just have the studios and bungalows (too expensive/just for show IMO). I think I said “what about poly” because it has a long contract, almost as long as riviera, low maintenance fees, is on the monorail, and the poly resale contracts are very reasonably priced.

We wanted to buy dvc for a long time and got serious about 2 years ago. We never thought we would buy resale. We did not trust the entire resale option. We were planning on 200-300 points direct. But... after reading extensively on these boards we jumped in on resale and were able to buy almost double the points we would have purchased direct. Any resale contract at any resort is much, much less expensive than direct. You can always go back later and add the minimum points direct for the blue card if you find you need it.

Good luck with whatever you decide! These boards are great, so keep reading!
I had not thought of doing it that way around. Of course I could buy retail first and then get the blue card later! That makes a lot of sense! The blue card is certainly a draw but not necessarily my be all and end all. Seriously considering resale as my first option and adding on the 100 direct points later now thanks to this advice. Thank you

I'm going to look into the '2nd bed' situation as if it is a sofa bed we would need a 1 bed villa I think. Do I remember from a DVC sales pitch years ago that they don't exist at the poly?

Most 1BR units have a king bed in the master, a sofa bed in the living room, and a select few then also have a chair bed or a twin murphy bed. Refurbs are putting a wall-bed in place for the sofa bed, but to many, that is still a "sofa bed" in practice.

The only DVC that is going to have two queens in a studio is Old Key West. To get two "real" beds in any other DVC unit requires a 2BR. It will take about 15 years for all of the resorts with sofa beds to get the wall bed, and I'm already putting money down that a few don't for some structural or spatial reason.

I think resale is a great choice for you. Well, I think it’s a great choice for almost anyone, but especially since it appears you’re in the UK. You get such great deals on longer passes, and wouldn’t be taking multiple trips a year to use an AP I assume, so much less financial value in the blue card.

I'm going to look into the '2nd bed' situation as if it is a sofa bed we would need a 1 bed villa I think.

Most 1BR units have a king bed in the master, a sofa bed in the living room, and a select few then also have a chair bed or a twin murphy bed. Refurbs are putting a wall-bed in place for the sofa bed, but to many, that is still a "sofa bed" in practice.

The only DVC that is going to have two queens in a studio is Old Key West. To get two "real" beds in any other DVC unit requires a 2BR. It will take about 15 years for all of the resorts with sofa beds to get the wall bed, and I'm already putting money down that a few don't for some structural or spatial reason.

Would a single or double/queen murphy bed in a studio work for you and your sister? Poly studios have a pull out sofa, but also a slightly shorter single murphy bed (to sleep 5). Several other resorts have studios with that twin murphy that might work on a LOT less points than a 2br (although there is the OKW option as well). If you haven't seen them, it may be worth checking out in person.

So kinda skimming through this and I would like to stay our DVC guide did say the price per point is gonna jump. The 188 is only till the 16th and we can expect it to rise after that but to how much is still unknown. They only did the 188 as a pre-sale incentive

So kinda skimming through this and I would like to stay our DVC guide did say the price per point is gonna jump. The 188 is only till the 16th and we can expect it to rise after that but to how much is still unknown. They only did the 188 as a pre-sale incentive
Traditionally the active resorts being marketed jump at the beginning of the new year from 2018 to 2019 it went from 182 to 188. I believe 2017 to 2018 was 176 to 182. It's more just the time of year they tend to adjust the active resorts. The sold out resorts seem to get adjusted also at this time but also intermittently during the year (this year was special with the restrictions put into place and 75 to 100 minimum they upped those prices at sold out resorts knowing it would lead to higher than average demand so they took advantage).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter