Road Trip Adventure from Roch, NY

MablePines24

Earning My Ears
Hi all!!

My family and I are going to Disney World the week before Thanksgiving from Saturday the 16th to Sunday the 24th. I originally wanted to fly but the price for 4 tickets was just too much. So to save money (aka spend more on souvenirs lol) we decided to drive from Rochester NY. There are three drivers. We’re planning on driving straight through, switching drivers every 4 hours or so, taking a route that avoids DC. I’ve never driven to Florida before so I would appreciate any and all tips, like when I should leave lol. We’re checking in on Sunday the 17th.

Thanks for all the help!

If you are avoiding D.C. (I-95) then I assume your route will take you through Atlanta via I-85/I-75? Plan your route to avoid Atlanta from 6AM-10AM and 3PM-7PM. Lot of construction on I-85 through SC and GA. You might want to plan the Charlotte to Atlanta leg for the late/early morning hours.

If you are avoiding D.C. (I-95) then I assume your route will take you through Atlanta via I-85/I-75? Plan your route to avoid Atlanta from 6AM-10AM and 3PM-7PM. Lot of construction on I-85 through SC and GA. You might want to plan the Charlotte to Atlanta leg for the late/early morning hours.
We’re taking 79 to 77 then meeting up with 95 in South Carolina, so it looks like we’re avoiding Atlanta as well. Thanks for the tip!!

Hi all!!

My family and I are going to Disney World the week before Thanksgiving from Saturday the 16th to Sunday the 24th. I originally wanted to fly but the price for 4 tickets was just too much. So to save money (aka spend more on souvenirs lol) we decided to drive from Rochester NY. There are three drivers. We’re planning on driving straight through, switching drivers every 4 hours or so, taking a route that avoids DC. I’ve never driven to Florida before so I would appreciate any and all tips, like when I should leave lol. We’re checking in on Sunday the 17th.

Thanks for all the help!
Drive is around 22 hours. We used to book a motel out of town to get a good nights sleep before checking in.

My parents drive from Rochester every winter! Driving straight through, its closer to 18 hours not counting meal and bathroom breaks. They take the same route you are going. The only challenge they've run into is traffic in and around Charlotte. Last year, they also hit dead stopped traffic just outside of Savannah, but I think that was more weather related which hopefully won't be an issue in November. They usually leave Rochester around 4-5am and drive to Asheville, NC which is about 11-12 hours. They stay the night there, and finish the drive the next day. They choose to do this because only my dad drives, so I think driving straight through would be more easily manageable with multiple drivers. Safe travels!

We’re taking 79 to 77 then meeting up with 95 in South Carolina, so it looks like we’re avoiding Atlanta as well. Thanks for the tip!!

79 to 77 to 26 to 95. (77 ends in Columbia SC)
My tip: either bring your EZ-pass from NY or cash for the WV turnpike. You will be passing through 3 toll booths on the WV turnpike and they don't accept credit cards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter