Rob and Scott's Big Fat Gay Disney Wedding-TR Pg 92; Photo Update pg 133

I must say I did disappear from this thread for a while ( I do that sometimes) and for that I am sorry, BUT I am really enjoying the TR!!!!! :thumbsup2

I'm enjoying it too, thank you for being so detail oriented.

I'm enjoying it too, thank you for being so detail oriented.

What else did you expect from me? :lmao: Y'all have followed along as I obsessively stressed on every detail of the planning. :rotfl2: Did you think I'd miss telling about every detail about when it actually happened?:rotfl:

Sadly, the details take time to document. I'm hoping to get Day 3 done tonight.

Glad you're all enjoying it.:thumbsup2

Rob - good work! :thumbsup2 You're so detailed in the descriptions, I love it. More pictures please!!

I'll post pictures as I get them. Right now I've put out a plea to friends and family to send anything they've got my way.

We've got at least another week (possibly two) before Randy Chapman will even have proofs for us.

Great start to the TR!!! I'm so glad the Adventerer's Club made it such a special night for you. That will be a great memory to look back on!

What a great start!! Sounds like a lovely last night at AC!! What a waste that they are closing it. :headache:

Your bbq sounded so fun too!! Glad that you had so much family and friends around for it!

Just had someone send us this picture.

Here we are standing in line to get into the Adventurers Club on 9/25/08 for our bachelor party.

1321102510.jpg

Rob, what do your pins say?

They're Adventurers Club Membership Pins. We've got a few of them.

pin-AdventurersClubMemberPlastic.jpg

Cast members would give them to people who got pulled up onstage to participate in shows. If I recall correctly, Scott got his first one for doing the sound effects for the Radio Broadcast, and I got my first one for being one of Babylonia's bodyguards. Pretty much anyone who was even a semi-regular guest was bound to have at least one.

Once it was announced that the club was closing, several people began wearing their AdvClub pins every time they went to Downtown Disney as a visual reminder that all the revenue we spent in that area was because we were for the club. "No club, no revenue." (Word was spread via the Adventurers Club yahoo group and word of mouth to do this)

Toward the end, there were more people in the club with pins than without. Pity an attraction that created so many repeat visits, and created so many Disney fans was closed due to shortsighted stupidity.

Day Three - Saturday September 27th - Part One

Since we didn't have to be anywhere too terribly early, we took the opportunity to sleep in a little bit. When we woke up, we spent a nice leisurely morning with my family at our house before getting showered and packing up to head over to WDW to check into our rooms at the Boardwalk Villas. Since Randy & Jodie had taken all of the supplies for the Hospitality Suite, we no longer had to take both my car and Scott's SUV, which simplified matters immensly. We only had to worry about a couple of small bags, our hanging bags (with freshly pressed suits for the wedding) and a box full of presents to be given out at the Rehearsal Dinner.

We left our house at around 12:30pm, and got to the Boardwalk in short order. There we learned that putting our names on the waiting list for the second night in the Grand Villa had paid off, as we were now booked for both Saturday AND Sunday nights. This was great news, because it meant that we could invite people up to the Hospitality Suite after the reception. We were also told that none of our rooms would be ready until after 4pm. :(

So we settled ourselves into the lobby at the Boardwalk for a little over an hour, and had a nice time people watching and talking amongst ourselves. On other days, the rooms not being ready probably would have stressed me out, but that day, I was refusing to worry about anything but having fun and enjoying the ride, so I relaxed a little bit and enjoyed spending time with my family.

We finally headed over to Pleasure Island for the wedding rehearsal some time around 2:30pm to meet Marion (our amazing wedding planner), Renee (our friend who is officiating), David and Tyler (Scott's attendants) and Randy Chapman (our photographer, who had called the day before to let us know that his Saturday wedding had cancelled and he'd like to tag along to the rehearsal and take some shots of that since we'd never managed to set up an "engagement shoot" which was part of the package we'd paid for.)

Now, here's where things get interesting. Back when they made the announcement that they were closing the Adventurers Club the day before our wedding, we contacted our wedding planner and raised our concern about the rehearsal (among other things), specificaly we were worried about my mom, who walks with a cane, having to fight her way through the crowd that we were sure would be camping out all day in front of the club for its last night. We requested that we be able to enter through the cast member entrance near the back of Comedy Warehouse and then through the tunnels where the dressing rooms, etc are located, thereby completely bypassing the crowd of AdvClub fans who probably wouldn't be happy about 10 people waltzing into the club at 3pm after they'd been waiting all day. On Wednesday before the wedding, we were told that P.I. Management had decided that this wouldn't be a good idea and we'd have to go through the front door of the club. We were extremely ticked off. But they weren't budging from their position, saying that it was due to increased security for the last night. We simply planned on fighting our way through the crowd as neccessary while trying to protect my mom from being jostled too much.

When we got to the Adventurers Club, here's what we saw.
1301711647.jpg

Yep. A tent city of people who had been camping out since 7:30am, just as we'd predicted. (It wasn't hard to predict, our friend Sharon was the first one in line. :rotfl: ). This picture doesn't really show the tarps that people had strung up to sit underneath, either. It was quite the elaborate set up.

So we walk up to this crowd, and the event manager that was supposed to meet us at the door says "We can't go in through all of this. They're right up against the doors!".

Well duh! What the heck have we been saying for the past three months!

So he then tells us that we'll have to go in via the outside stairs (in the picture, right where the light pole is on the extreme left of the photo, there is a staircase that leads down into a small courtyard and a service entrance into the club.

We point out once again that my mother uses a cane, and can't do stairs very well. (as we're standing near the stairs, surrounded by sweaty people, who are trying to protect their place in line).

The event manager turns and looks at the BET Soundstage club (which has no line at all, of course) with a questioning look on his face. I jumped right in. "I know that club connects. Is there an eleveator in there?" He says there is, to which I respond "Then you go down those stairs, and into BET and let us in that way." And he looks at me with a blank look and scurries off.

Honestly, if they'd just have listened to us in the first place.

In short order the BET door opens, and we're ushered inside (nice club, we'd never been in there before) and then down the elevator, through the tunnel and into our beloved club for our rehearsal.

Details about the rehearsal and the rest of Day Three coming soon.

Well since we dont have a West Coast Mod, someone has to do the job....:confused3

Day Three - Saturday September 27th - Part Two

Once inside the club, it was kind of odd. Being there during the day, with sun streaming in through the windows, and it being completely empty (especially because of all the missing chairs in the Main Salon). We made our way into the Library for the rehearsal.

20080927_0479.jpg

Yes, that is the way it looked. Thankfully we'd been promised that all of the "Christmaween" decorations would be down before we got there at 2pm the next day to take pictures.

We ran through the entire ceremony fairly quickly. Renee's ceremony, as beautiful as it was on paper, was even more breathtaking when spoken aloud (my mom cried and we were all a little bit misty eyed.) Sofia and David were spot on with the readings. Scott and I made it through the intent, the vows, and the ring exchange with only a minimum of eye leakage. We didn't have a chance to hear the music we'd recorded, but I had already timed the processional and the amount of time it would take us to walk in together, so it was not a problem. Surely with a rehearsal that went this well, we'd have no problems on Sunday for the actual ceremony. Yeah right. Nothing is ever THAT easy. :rotfl:

We then took some pictures around the club with Randy. Fun fun! We were sitting in "our chairs" right between the Colonel & the Library Stage when my phone rang. It was Sharon. She Pippa & Glen were wondering where we were. They were sitting right in front of the door, and knew our rehearsal was supposed to start at 3pm, but were worried that they hadn't seen us go in. I laughed and let them know we were inside and the rehearsal was over, we'd be out soon.

So back through the service hallway, into BET, and up the elevevator and . . . smack dab into the line for the Adventurers Club. It was now so long that it snaked through the stantions at BET. One particularly nasty and crazy AdvClub fan with a history of stalking CMs was right outside the door. When she saw us leaving she scowled and said "Where do you think YOU'RE going?" Renee answered, "Away from you." and walked away. :rotfl2: :worship: :rotfl2: Is there any doubt why we love her so much? :goodvibes

We were able to chat briefly with Glen and with Sharon. We waved at Pippa, but she was their designated place holder in line for their respective potty and food breaks. They soon had to get back into the tent city to wait for another two hours and we were off to the Polynesian for our rehearsal dinner at O'hana.

Details about the rehearsal dinner and the rest of Day Three coming soon.

Day Three - Saturday September 27th - Part Three

We managed to get to O'hana well before our 5:10pm reservation, so we waited for the others to arrive. While we waited, we order a round of the amazing Pina Coladas they serve, and relaxed. Soon everyone else arrived and party consisted of Rob & Scott, my parents (John & Dorothy), my sister Sofia, my brother Dennis, Tyler (our friend and Florida Family), David (Scott's best friend and former roommate of 12 years) and Wil (David's friend and performer at Disneyland), Renee (our kick a$$ officiant) Gary & Geoffrey (Renee's husband and son.) So we moved, pina coladas in hand, into the dining room. When I had booked, I had requested the table BEHIND the fire-pit so that it wouldn't be so hot and loud. OrlandoMike had very helpfully suggested that we request Ed as a server, so we'd done that as well. Well, we got there and were informed that Ed was off for the night and they were putting us at the first table in FRONT of the fire pit. I fully believe that the fact that I was almost done with my second pina colada saved someone's life at that point. I was a bit peeved, and was suddenly reminded of the horrific service we'd gotten at O'hana back in July. I forced myself to let it go, and to just roll with it and enjoy our meal. Thankfully, the staff at O'hana stepped up and did a great job, and everything was fantastic.

Before dinner arrived, a bucket with two bottles of champagne was delivered. :confused: It turned out that Gary had stopped by the bar and ordered it while we were getting seated. He then toasted us and said some nice things about how obvious it was that Scott and I are meant to be together and we're great guys, and other embarassing things. We were touched. Renee told us later that before he'd met us, Gary was a homophobe. Didn't know any gay people, didn't want to know any gay people, and was happy to never know anything about anybody gay. Just by being ourselves, and hanging with our friends and dealing well with Geoffrey, we'd changed his mind. He was truly happy for us and honored to be invited to join us for our happy day. (A quick note about Geoffrey, I guess I should have explained sooner, but it never crosses my mind. Geoffrey is 22 and is developmentally disabled in some way. I don't really know how, it's never been important to me, so I've never asked. He can't speak, but he can hear and understand quite a bit. He communicates via some signs, and gestures. He loves elevators, and watching things go in circles, and having people mimic his gestures. And he's just an amazing positive presence. We met Renee, Gary & Geoffrey at the Adventurers Club. We'd ridden up and down that AdvClub elevator with Geoffrey countless times, as had the performers and bar staff. We'd slapped our bellies along with him, and picked up our feet and rotated them in circles with him. As far as we're concerened it's simply impossible NOT to love Geoffrey and want to see him smile when you play along. When Renee offered to officiate for us, we made it clear that Gary & Geoffrey were "part of the family" and were most certainly welcome at all phases of our weekend. )

At any rate, we were very touched by Gary's toast, and the proceeded to have a very nice dinner. The problem with a table that large, is that you don't get the chance to participate in conversation with everyone, but we did our best. Right before the dessert (yummy bananas foster bread pudding) was served, we handed out our gifts. Scott got David & Tyler etched glass Mickey Mouse beer steins engraved with their names. I got Dennis & Sofia flasks. Dennis got the stainless steel flask with a scrollwork "D" that matched his "Personal Chef" buisness card logo. Sofia got the flask with the pink leather cover and her initials engraved. All four of our attendants loved their gifts (Dennis had bourbon in his within an hour). We gave my parents an 8 x 10 picture frame. It's the beveled silver-colored frame with the subtle Mickey Heads in the corners. We also told them that they'd be getting a full wedding album from Randy Chapman once we got the pictures back. And we got Renee a bottle of our favorite wine (the same thing we'd gotten for our Wedding Coordinator and Wedding Planner) along with a VISA gift card for $250 (the price that most of the officiants would have charged us for a generic ceremony with no rehearsal.) We felt Renee had gone WAY above and beyond what any other officant would have done for us, but couldn't think of a gift that was "right" so we'll let her pick it out. She was touched, and overhwelmed. That made us happy. At this point, my mom made a toast. More talk about how brave we are. And another warm welcome to Scott as a new member of our family. I got all teary again. I was sure to be bawling all day on Sunday the rate I was going.

Here's the picture of us at O'hana.
20080927_0482.jpg

From left to right we have: Scott, Renee, Geoffrey, Gary, Tyler, Wil, David, Sofia, Dennis, Dad, Mom & Me.

When I went to pay the bill, I gave them my DDE (oops, I mean "Tables in Wonderland" card) and was happily surprised when our server informed me that she'd taken the 20% discount off of all 12 meals insted of only 10 which is the policy limit. Yeah. She got an extra tip. A good one.

Scott and I then jetted off to the Boardwalk Villas to see what we needed to do for the Hospitality Suite before people started to arrive, and told everyone else we'd see them soon.

Details about the Hospitality Suite/Welcome Party and the rest of Day Three coming soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter