Rob and Scott's Big Fat Gay Disney Wedding-TR Pg 92; Photo Update pg 133

Nice installment! Thanks!

Nassau had rather venomous religious based protests during the time Rosie O'Donnell was there with her lesbian and gay families cruise. She chose to stay on board to keep the media at bay, but it was still a very unpleasant time.

I'm of the "not going onshore there, thanks" mindset. We'll be cruising with DCL next year (my wife's Mother's 75th birthday) and I'll stay aboard, thanks.

Looking forward to your next installment!!! (Oh, ummmm...so yep, call me nosey but could you elaborate just a teeeeeny bit on the food)? :teeth:

Oh, ummmm...so yep, call me nosey but could you elaborate just a teeeeeny bit on the food? :teeth:

There was food. ::yes::

And it WAS elaborate! ::yes::

If your asking what we ate for breafast and lunch . . . um . . . . what did YOU eat for breakfast and lunch two months ago? :confused3

Cuz I don't remember what we had. :rolleyes:

Awwwww... I'll have to leave it to my imagination then. :teeth:

You have a good point though. :teeth: I can't remember yesterday's dinner! (On the other hand, I wasn't on my honeymoon then either). ;) I CAN remember what I had that night (of the ceremony). :teeth: Does that count?

Yeah, when I went to Nassau with Royal Caribbean in 2006 I was not impressed with it either:sad2: . My parents went off and did their thing while my brother and I took a shuttle to Atlantis and then walked around the port area. This random old man came up to us and gave us each a gumdrop from the package he was eating from. I said thanks and waked quicky away, tossing the candy in an empty lot. My brother, who was 13, ate the candy, and I gave him a talking to about eating things from strangers (do they never learn???). The look on his face was SO funny, though; he looked as though he thought he had been poisoned!

On the subject of cruises, I thought you would all enjoy this link (Rosie-related; O'Donnell, that is!):
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2008/07/15/nb-cruise.html

So, so cool...I'm just proud of the way that my city has warmly welcomed all travelers! You guys should do a Canada/ New Englad cruise in Fall 2009!

Huh? What did they do to Rosie and all those kids?

Yes in fact Rosie stayed on board the ship, but that didn't stop the protesters! They screamed and picketed same sex families, right in front of the children! Disgusting! One man had to slip into a bathroom so his children wouldn't see him sobbing! Very sad indeed!:sad2:

The caribbean is very homophobic, I'm afraid. My beloved is from Nassau and is currently dealing with coming out to her family who are still there. It hasn't been a pretty scene thus far. We're hopeful that they'll eventually come around, but the political and religious climate there is SOOOO conservative, worse than the worst small town in the USA. So, who knows? :confused3 I know we wouldn't feel safe holding hands in Nassau, and I would never recommend a same-sex couple exchange any sort of pda while in the islands in general. It's truly just unsafe. :sad1:

On a lighter note, Rob, thanks for taking the time to write this trip report! I'm thoroughly enjoying it. :goodvibes

Hey Rob I just got caught up! I'm really enjoying your TR. I felt the same way about Atlantis when we visited a few years ago; it's beautiful but way too touristy. It still sounds like you both had a relaxing time. And I haven't gotten a chance to say this so, congratulations!

Day Nine - Friday, October 3rd, Part One

So far almost a carbon copy of my Bahamas' experience.
kinda yucky place. :sad2:

We didn't do Atlantis.
We had Spa stuff on the Boat booked for the afternoon.

Day Nine - Friday, October 3rd, Part Two

So after our nap, we got ready for our evening and headed out. Our first stop was the Walt Disney Theatre for "Toy Story: The Musical". Since we'd missed the "Golden Mickeys' the night before because of our spa treatment, this was our first time to see a show in the that theatre. It's a very impressive theatre, the fact that it's on a boat is even more impressive.

Toy Story was okay. Not spectacular. Parts of it were very fun, and other parts not so much. The song that Sid sings (Davinci of Destruction) goes on for about three days too long. And then he sings it AGAIN! :scared: I won't go into the full theatrical critique of what Scott and I thought. The kids seemed to like it, so I guess it served its primary purpose.

After the show, we shopped a bit, and then headed to Triton's for dinner.

This time, at dinner, the seating situation changed. We were joined at our end of the table by a very nice couple that had made only a brief appearance at dinner the night before (they had booked Palo for the first night). I'll be honest, we were kind of nervous. We knew that most likely we'd encounter other Disney fans on the cruise. Take a look over at the Community Board on the subject of gay marriage and you'll see why we were worried. We really, really didn't want to get stuck having dinner with people that were going to hassel us for being on our honeymoon. Even awkward silence would have been a real let down. So we relaxed when casual conversation with them was very pleasant. Experienced cruisers, they gave us a few tips. Then the lady leaned in and asked us which buttons we were wearing. I showed her that it was the DCL Honeymoon button, and they very sincerely and heartily congratulated us. What a HUGE relief! I joked that "We paid twenty grand for the Disney Wedding, we're gonna wear the buttons all week!" Which of course, brought about the next question. "Where did you get married?" When we told them that our ceremony had been at the Adventurers Club and got "We love it!" as a response, all worries were gone. We introduced ourselves "I'm Rob, and this is Scott . . ." and officially met Randy & Mary Kay. They live in the Fort Worth area, and being a former Dallas boy myself, we had some points of reference in common. We also talked about being DVC members, about the Adventurers Club and how stupid we thought it was that it had been closed, and they let us go on and on about Our Big Fat Gay Disney Wedding without looking bored out of their minds, as I'm sure they were. :rotfl: On the whole, we couldn't have asked for better dinner companions, and we would have liked to have gotten to know them better. Two dinners and one breakfast weren't enough.

Somewhere mixed in all of that, we ordered and ate dinner. And I DO remember what I ate for dinner (mainly because the DCL Menus are posted online! :rotfl2: ) I started with a Pomegranate Martini and then switched to a glass of La Crema Pinot Noir with dinner (along with the glass of ginger ale that showed up every time I sat down to eat! :lmao: ). I went with the escargot (love me some snails in garlic butter!) and then a mixed green salad. I ordered the Coquilles St Jacques (Scallops, mushrooms, & shallots baked in a Mornay sauce in a dish lined with whipped potatoes) and had the Honey & Cinnamon Apple Tart. It was all fantastic! Oh. Scott ate some stuff, too, but I don't remember what he had. It was different from mine, but very good as well.

Here's the dining room photo from that night:
scan0048.jpg

After dinner, we stopped in the atrium outside Trition's and posed for a picture in front of a backdrop that had the boat at sunset. It's my favorite picture from our cruise.
scan0052.jpg

From there, we ventured up to Deck 10 for the Pirates in the Carribean Party. Oh, I forgot to mention, It was "Pirate Night" and all evening we'd been seeing people pirate dress ranging from t-shirts all the way to "OMG, how much money did they spend on a custom costume!" Not knowing what to expect, Scott and I hadn't really gotten into the pirate theme. Next time, we'll go for broke! :thumbsup2

Thankfully, the weather had cleared, and the pirate party would be able to proceed on schedule. The pirate party is cute, and fun, and probably would have been more fun if I'd been able to drink more (the seasickness was still around in a very mild way each night, so I decided not to chance any more cocktails that night.) We'd been led to believe that the fireworks at the end of the pirate party were really lame, and that they're only impressive because they're launched from on the boat itself. Disney is the only cruiseline that can do this. Actually, I thought it was a pretty good showing. Better than they "New Years Every Night" fireworks they'd had at Pleasure Island for the last couple of years they did it.

We wandered around Decks 9 & 10 a bit, enjoying a romantic, stroll on the boat, before heading back down to our room for the night.

Next installment: Castaway Cay!

I'll be honest, we were kind of nervous. We knew that most likely we'd encounter other Disney fans on the cruise. Take a look over at the Community Board on the subject of gay marriage and you'll see why we were worried. We really, really didn't want to get stuck having dinner with people that were going to hassel us for being on our honeymoon. Even awkward silence would have been a real let down.

Glad everything went well with your table mates - we have been on Disney cruise 4 times now and never encountered any problems - admitedly we were never celebrating our Honeymoon. What made you think it would happen on the cruise?

So glad you had good tablemates!! :thumbsup2 Dh hates that part of cruising. Althought....i think he won't be pleased with 3 days of sitting with 18 of my closest family members either. :rotfl:

Glad everything went well with your table mates - we have been on Disney cruise 4 times now and never encountered any problems - admitedly we were never celebrating our Honeymoon. What made you think it would happen on the cruise?

We didn't assume that it would happen, we were just wary of it. You never know how strangers will react, that's all.

I'm coming out of lurkdom to say that I've been enjoying your wedding TR! I'm a big fan of MK & Randy and that is how I ventured over here. I'm glad to finally read about your meeting them. They are truly special & they spoke highly of you two, as well! A belated congrats on your wedding!

Love Hearing About your Cruise, I am a cruise bride and love the Cruise trip reports!

i've stumbled upon this post rather late and i've only gotten up to the ceremony, but i have to tell you that just reading the ceremony made me cry. it was absolutely beautiful. and you both looked wonderful. :thumbsup2

I'm coming out of lurkdom to say that I've been enjoying your wedding TR! I'm a big fan of MK & Randy and that is how I ventured over here. I'm glad to finally read about your meeting them. They are truly special & they spoke highly of you two, as well! A belated congrats on your wedding!

Love Hearing About your Cruise, I am a cruise bride and love the Cruise trip reports!

i've stumbled upon this post rather late and i've only gotten up to the ceremony, but i have to tell you that just reading the ceremony made me cry. it was absolutely beautiful. and you both looked wonderful. :thumbsup2

Thank you all for your compliments and congratulations. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Details of our Castaway Cay day are coming up shortly.

Day Ten - Saturday, October 4th - Castaway Cay

I woke up Saturday morning in time to open the curtains and see that we were in the process of docking at Disney's private island in the Bahamas - Castawy Cay. This would have been a lot more exciting, had the view not included grey cloudy skies and a slight drizzle. Craning my neck, I could see that there was indeed a great deal of blue sky off in the distance and there was a chance that the day wouldn't be a total wash out.

Scott and I showered and dressed for the beach fairly quickly. I packed a few supplies into a tote bag, and we were ready for our day at the beach! Before disembarking, we stopped at Triton's and had breakfast. It was an EXCELLENT breakfast (I'm a sucker for good Eggs Benedict) and the servers were much cuter than the ones we had regularly at dinner (not that our guys weren't great, but the two cute French guys were kind of adorable).

After breakfast we headed down to disembark and walked off the boat . . . to a beautiful sunny day. The clouds were gone, no drizzle, perfect weather. We breathed a sigh of relief and headed over to the shuttle stop.

Here we are, fresh off the boat, ready for a day of fun in the sun:
scan0049.jpg

And with one of the "locals""
scan0050.jpg

Can you tell that Scott and I rarely every wear flip-flops? :lmao: What little tan we've managed to get while living in Florida stops right at the sock-line. :rotfl2:

As we made our way to the "adult beach" (called "Serenity Bay") we stopped and bought a small collapsible cooler with ice and six bottles of water. This was a very smart idea, and kept us from dehydrating.

We caught the second shuttle that takes you down the island's landing strip to the adult beach. It was fairly busy, but not packed (yet). We made our way about half way down the beach before finding a space under and umbrella in an uncrowded area of the beach. We played around in the water for a while, and soon our uncrowded area of the beach was teeming with people. Serenity Bay my sweet patootie! You remember all those DCL ads, with one couple walking hand-in-hand along a deserted shoreline? Yeah. I'm thinking those two work for DCL and are the people who stay on the island when the boat's not there. Otherwise, I can't figure out how they got any alone time on that beach. Sure, there were no kids around, but romantic it wasn't. I will say one thing though. All those other people made me feel MUCH more comfortable. I was afraid that I'd look like a beached white whale lying on the sand. I needn't have worried. By comparison, I was buff, young, and tan. That fact (and a couple of Conch Coolers - the signature cocktail of Castaway Cay) helped me to relax and just have fun.

Scott and I split our morning between playing in the water, and relaxing on the sand. At one point we struck up a conversation with a couple from Upstate New York that were sitting in the chairs right next to us. Nice folks. Don't remember their names. More gushing congratulations on our recent commitment, so I started to think that I'd been completely wrong to worry that people would have a problem with gay guys on their honeymoon. And in fact, we didn't run into anyone who had an issue at all. One clueless guy, I'll talk aobut in a bit. But no out and out homophobes at all. Which is one of the reasons we'll recommend DCL to our friends and will do it again ourselves.

We decided to head over to have lunch before they stopped serving so that we didn't miss lunch. As we were rinsing off the sand at the little outdoor shower thingy, we ran into Randy and Mary Kay. It was nice to see them, and I saw that Randy was wearing the same shirt I'd worn the night before at dinner (one of the Disney Hawaiian prints). I joked that I was glad we hadn't shown up at the table wearing the same thing, then we were off to the lunch buffet. The food was pretty good, and we were surprised to find out how hungry we'd gotten "doing nothing."

After lunch, the sky started looking ominous again, so we picked up a few "Castawy Cay" souvenirs at the store on the island before heading back to the boat. We timed it perfectly. Just as we got under cover at the gangway, it started to rain.

We headed up to our cabin for a quick shower and change of clothes, and then up the adult pool for a drink. We got out onto deck, and had to stick to the covered areas. The skies had opened up and it was pouring. There were times that we couldn't see the far side of the bay where we were docked.

We stopped and got frozen coffees at the coffee shop, and then sat on the deck and watched the rain.

At this point, a crew member came over and asked if we wanted another set of drinks. We said we didn't and he spotted the honeymoon buttons. He pointed at the buttons and asked "So, are your wives at the spa?" We laughed and said, "Nope. No wives." At which point he points to the island (that we couldn't see due to the downpour) and says "Oh, they're still on the island, shopping." To which, I said. "Um, no. We're together. It's our honeymoon." Which caught him by surprise. Then, trying to fix his faux pas he said "Oh! Well, that's okay, too!" :rotfl:

He was the exception to the rule. In complete contrast to our experience with the "Just Married" buttons in the parks, the crew of the Wonder and even most of the guests, saw the buttons, figured it out, and congratulated us heartily. A couple crew members let us know that they'd recently had their first Disney Fairy Tale Commitment Ceremony on the Wonder and were very glad we were joining them for our honeymoon. I'm not sure why we didn't get that kind of reaction at WDW (where we were expecting it) but were sure glad that the folks on the boat made us feel so special.

And next time, we'll talk about dinner that night at Animator's Palate.

And here I was thinking that sock tan was due to taping your ankles for football practice. :teeth:

NICE report! Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter