Rob and Scott's Big Fat Gay Disney Wedding-TR Pg 92; Photo Update pg 133

I logged into disboards for the first time today since nearly a year ago and was surprised to see that my screen name still worked so imagine my surprise to see this thread still active. I left this site after I left employment at Walt Disney World on medical leave because my heart ached so much when I realized that I would not be returning, but I just learned that the disability that a former supervisor recommended has been approved so it really is time to move forward and learn if I can prove my doctor wrong for saying that I will never be able to work full time again. I can at least be a part of people's vacation planning here because I have worked at both Disney World and Universal Studios so it will help me to feel productive with stuff that I know.

This is a lovely thread because it was so heartwarming to remember the vote about the wedding cake we were all invited to participate in. It was so sad that our disboards buddy's mother died so soon after his wedding, and then we all read that he too had passed. It is nice to see that he is still remembered here because I was thinking about him just a couple of days ago after reading about a mother who comes to Orlando every Christmas to visit and decorate a tree that she planted in her son's memory one year after he died on Christmas Day. Like our guy here, that 13-year-old died from pneumonia.

I'm not around much these last few years. But, it warms my heart to log in and see this thread still pinned.

I think of Rob and the sad loss of his presence in so many places a lot more often that I would have expected for someone that I never met in real life.

Scott, if you happen to be lurking here ever, I remain so sorry for your loss.

I see Scott about once a year at WDW, or whenever we go or Orlando and we keep on touch throughout the year. He's doing well, as playful as ever. I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing him in September.

I'm not around much these last few years. But, it warms my heart to log in and see this thread still pinned.

I think of Rob and the sad loss of his presence in so many places a lot more often that I would have expected for someone that I never met in real life.

Scott, if you happen to be lurking here ever, I remain so sorry for your loss.

Wow! its really getting very interesting. Never knew such a thing can be organized and carried out in Disney. Nice one disboarders.

zulemara, thank you for posting this and giving me a different perspective on "interactive dances". And we WILL now consider changing the "NO, NOT ANY OF THEM" stance.

That said, the chicken dance is not something we did in my family. The first I ever even heard of it was when I saw it in a movie when I was in college. We have no tradition or memories associated with it and Scott and I both DETEST it. I feel similarly about the cha-cha, electric slide, and mambo #5. I could probably deal with the Hustle, the Macarena (Scott would kill me, though, he hates it) or the even YMCA; though I have to say that I've always thought that a song about gay men cruising at a bathhouse was an inappropriate and odd choice to be played at a wedding and I always crack up when I see all the str8 people rushing out to the dance floor because it's playing. :rotfl2:

My thought is that there are plenty of really fun songs that will get us up and dancing without resorting to the "gimmick" dances. I've got "The Twist" on the "must play" list because it never fails to get my entire family on the floor, and at 65 my dad will be the best twister out there. He always was, and it fascinated us as kids.

But, you're right, we do want it to be fun for our guests, and maybe we'll change our minds. Or maybe we'll decide to have Mickey Mouse show up at our reception to dance and see if that takes the places of the gimmicky stuff. (And yes, I realize that Mickey in and of himself is a gimmick at the reception, but it's a gimmick that you ONLY get at Disney, so why the heck not.)

We're also asking them not to play any of the "Gay Anthems" at the reception. So no "I Will Survive" (the song that brings out the inner drag queen in EVERYONE), no "It's Raining Men", no "I'm Coming Out" etc. This may disappoint some people; but to us it seemed like "too much", for the same reason we didn't even consider doing our reception at "The Great Movie Ride" (which is an option Disney offers, by the way.) We thought that cutting the wedding cake at a gay wedding in the Wizard of Oz scene with the Wicked Witch there to say "and your little dog, too" was just TOO MUCH. Too cliche, too tacky.

Okay, I'll end my rant now. But truly, thank you for your thoughts, and Scott and I will discuss these things again looking at it from the perspective you've provided.
I just texted my 17 year old gay son and told him to read this thread and please God if and when you get married have the reception at the Great Movie Ride! His all time favorite Disney ride! I am so happy for you two and I love reading your post.

It took me about two days to read this thread from beginning to end. I didn't read every message but I read many of them. As I was reading through the planning and the wedding I thought to myself many times that it was the best thread I had ever read. So joyful and funny. And such a special, meaningful wedding. And then when I got to the end, the double tragedies of Rob's mom and Rob's passing, I gasped out loud.

And then I was struck by what a special gift this thread is. Real people - regular people - shared with strangers the highest highs and the lowest lows of their lives. The full glory of life. That's an amazing thing.

This thread is awesome! I've been wondering lately if disney is accepting of gay/lesbian weddings at their resort. I'm not getting married anytime soon but it's nice to know the option is there at a place that's always felt like home.

Oh jeez, just read about Rob's passing :(. I'm new here but I offer my condolences, hope the family is doing well, and thank you for sharing this piece of your life with us.

I haven't been on the DIS in ages, probably since the passing of our friend Rob. Many of us were in the middle of this whole thread, the planning, the fun, and for some the actual wedding. Hard to believe it's been so long.

I wish I could see the photos. The story alone brought tears to my eyes so many times. The Photos would have been magical. Rest in Peace Rob.

I'm going to hope that whoever unpinned this is new here and only read a bit of the thread and thought it is "just" an old wedding thread.
Maybe they don't realize how loved Rob was, and that we (and most of all Scott) lost him way too soon and that the thread was pinned as a bit of a memorial and to make it easier for us who miss him to come and read and hear his voice again when we need it.

Now that they know, hopefully they'll do the decent thing and put it back up top as a pinned thread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!