Robes in Alaska?

Mich123

DIS Veteran
Do people wear robes to the hot tubs/pools on the Alaska cruise? Since all of the pictures I see on deck show windbreakers and coats, I'm wondering about the logistics of getting to and from the pool without freezing.

I'm considering purchasing the robes for 2 package (looks like a great deal for 2 robes as compared to the single robe options, and a fun DCL souvenir) to have on the ship, but I want to balance the usefulness of the purchase. DD19 and DD22 might use the robes as well, if wearing robes is not unusual on deck.

Last August I just wore a t-shirt and swim trunks with flip-flops to the hot tub. I didn't see anyone in a robe. IMO you are not outside very long but the robes do look nice and would be a neat if you like wearing one at home as well. Either way, sitting in the hot tub with a beverage in hand is a great way to sit and watch the beautiful scenery go by. Have a great trip!

We went in mid-June and had mixed weather...sun, clouds, rain, repeat! That's Alaska!! When the sun was out and since the pools are protected from the wind, the temps reached near 80...no robes needed. It will be a flip of the coin each day as to what the weather will be. Earlier and later in the season, the temps will be lower and rain more probable. The robes are cool no matter the cruise, weather or hot tub styles expected. Take two bottles of wine with you for happy hour during the cruise and you will have room for the robes on the way home...problem solved!!

We went in mid-June and had mixed weather...sun, clouds, rain, repeat! That's Alaska!! When the sun was out and since the pools are protected from the wind, the temps reached near 80...no robes needed. It will be a flip of the coin each day as to what the weather will be. Earlier and later in the season, the temps will be lower and rain more probable. The robes are cool no matter the cruise, weather or hot tub styles expected. Take two bottles of wine with you for happy hour during the cruise and you will have room for the robes on the way home...problem solved!!

Agree, we brought wine from our room to the hot tub, the silver gift sling bag was perfect for this. We brought plastic cups and glasses and had a great time! The servers didn't say anything as we kept is discrete and we more than made up for not buying drinks at the hot tub with the money we spent in the Crown and Fin.

Last edited:
Do people wear robes to the hot tubs/pools on the Alaska cruise? Since all of the pictures I see on deck show windbreakers and coats, I'm wondering about the logistics of getting to and from the pool without freezing.

I'm considering purchasing the robes for 2 package (looks like a great deal for 2 robes as compared to the single robe options, and a fun DCL souvenir) to have on the ship, but I want to balance the usefulness of the purchase. DD19 and DD22 might use the robes as well, if wearing robes is not unusual on deck.

I think a good idea and I have purchased that gift myself.

Haven't seen robes around the hot tubs or deck strolls for the Alaska cruise. Mainly ex large t-shirt cover ups at the tubs and sweaters/jackets on the decks. Guess you could start a trend.
The weather is so variable at any point in time that you should consider the robe or T-shirt will be on the lounge chair probably getting rained on. Just grab a pool towel and wrap yourself.

Never thought of "wine and boil". Have to try it in Sept.

I didn't see robe wearing out on decks as a common thing on Disney Cruises but I have never been on an Alaskan one so it might make more sense on that one.

I have not done Alaska on Disney, but I did not see them on deck on HAL or RCCL.

I personally think of robes as a private, in your own space kind of thing, not something for wearing out in public. But maybe I’m weird that way.

The pools in Alaska, and for the same matter, Iceland and the Baltic are heated and well used. But getting out, is an issue.
We were blessed with great weather in Alaska and Iceland, even ok in a tee shirt. However when wet and getting out of a heated pool and wet, you really feel the cold quickly.

You need a rub down with DCL towels quickly, then a change of clothes, it's not the Caribbean where you can just dry out.

To me a robe is no different than a tailored towel, it's use is very logical. I recall seeing student age children wearing onesies not that different.

I have even seen cruisers in robes at Castaway.

Being honest seeing how " small" some swimwear is and in a Disney cruise, robes are modest.

I have ordered a set of two, the romance package with rose and chocolates for my next cruises, whilst they are not Alaska I may use mine on ship......

What is the difference really? If you think about a standard cover-up, it’s purpose is to cover your swimsuit make it appropriate for you to walk into buildings or lounge at a table. Many of them wrap just like a robe. Since the water is heated in the pool and the hot tub, but the air is not, it seems quite logical to use a bathrobe. If you look at those winter chalets where one skis and the hot tub is outdoors you often see bathrobes there. I think it would make less sense to bring a flimsy summer cover up. I’m pretty sure people will say “Wish I thought of that!” And mean it!

If you take your DCL robe to the hot tub, then take it off to get in, you risk having it walk away, as someone might think it's theirs or think it's a ship freebee, like the towels. If you choose to do this, make sure to bring something to add to it to identify it as yours and not a complimentary robe.

If you take your DCL robe to the hot tub, then take it off to get in, you risk having it walk away, as someone might think it's theirs or think it's a ship freebee, like the towels. If you choose to do this, make sure to bring something to add to it to identify it as yours and not a complimentary robe.
JK here...
If your concerned about theft of your DCL robe you could always do the security system that my daughter was taught in junior high school....

If it’s hard goods for example a cup or a book you lick it with your tongue so everyone can see it.

Since this is the towel consistency you most likely will have to pretend you’re wiping your nose on both your sleeves.

Just Kidding!

But in reality, I guess no matter what we bring out, there’s always a concern someone could walk off with our stuff.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts