Rocket Rods???

Marilyn

Mouseketeer
Is there any news out there about resurrecting "Rocket Rods" at DL or placing it at WDW? This was a GREAT ride that was only up and running for a short time but it was extremely popular!! Another quiry...Any news about what or when they will do something where the old submarine ride use to be?? Its been gone for so many years why don't they imagineer something new there? Thanks for any info on these "?". Marilyn:)

Rocket Rods- I haven't seen or heard anything to indicate that it will be brought back, or that something else will replace it. The problem was that it had severe mechanical problems due to poor design.

20k- The question many have asked. No real plans that I've heard about. The most recent rumor I heard was that there was some consideration being given to making it into an Atlantis "scene", not an attraction. Apparently, draining the lagoon has even been a problem because the structure began to crumble (at DL I think...). The cost of clearing it out and rebuilding something is more than they are willing to spend at this time.

I think AV and others have more info on this...

Everthing I have read indicates that Rocket Rods is dead. There is some speculation at to new uses that might be found for the old people mover track, but those all cost money and most money slated for new attactions is targeted for DCA.

Personally I think they should just put the peoplemover back in I love that ride (or its WDW counterpart the Tomorrowland Transit Authority). I don't know how much the modifications made for rocket rods may affect it though.

You will see the pack mules and the stage coach return long before you will see the return of Rocket Rods. Anyone that had anything to do with this ride is busy erasing it from their resumes and everyone else is standing around pointing fingers at the innocent. The old Peoplemover track was so damaged in the limited operation of Rocket Rods that all the “rumors” say it can’t be salvaged for anything (including the “self-propelled” ride Disney thought about buying). The entire track needs to be torn down; but Disney won’t spend the money for that. It’s cheaper to let it sit there.

Similar issue with the sub pit; it’s cheaper just to let it sit there. Draining them would require that the rockwork either be removed or otherwise protected (water’s cheaper than a lot of tarps). There have been plenty of ideas about what to do in the areas, but nothing’s ever come close to being approved. It’s all about money. If you’ve seen any of the pictures of the Little Mermaid Lagoon section from DisneySea then you’ve seen what could really be done with this area.

The reaction to Rocket Rods is part of recent Disney culture’s approach to failure. Things aren’t fixed, they’re ignored. There is a tremendous stigma to being associated with a “failure” and if you want to survive you have to run away as quickly as possible. It extends from the little things like LuminAria and Rocket Rods, the big things like ‘Pearl Harbor’ and the really big things like California Adventure. Notice how little you’ve heard Eisner and the top dogs talk about the place, and how much praise they’re now heaping on DisneySea. A complete turn since last year.

Rocket Rods were popular, if only because it was the only new attraction in the “new” Tomorrowland. It could have been fixed, it could have been built correctly the first time. The empty buildings could have reopened with other shows. But there are too many career people running away to bother with that.

Just have to chime in, I thought the RR were totally lame and hated them:( , particularly that annoying little whining sound that went right down my spine ! Good riddance.
I would love to have the people mover back, what a shame the track is damaged.

The ride vehicels at TDS's JTTCOTE look just like the old RR's, mabye they can save them for this !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter