Rocketman - Who's going see it? (HIDDEN Spoilers only, Please.)

I finally saw Rocketman. I'll probably not be in the majority, but that's okay. This is how I feel. Feel free to think differently. :)

After all that anticipation,
722d1924.gif%7Eoriginal
I didn't care for it.
bf89f0ce.gif%7Eoriginal
:duck: No, it wasn't because I was comparing it to Bohemian Rhapsody. It's quite apparent from the first song that Rocketman is a traditional "musical," with someone bursting into song and an ensemble, fancifully coming out of the woodwork as backup singers & dancers. It's in the style of La La Land, or Mamma Mia. Whereas, Bohemian Rhapsody is more in the form of a "documentary," following the lives of Freddie Mercury & Queen and staying rather chronological. (Although, not quite accurate at times, for drama's sake.) So, there's really no comparison of the two, other than they are both famous musicians of the 70s and on and their battles with drugs, fame & identity crises.

I though Rocketman was boring in parts and could have used a lot of editing to tighten up some of scenes. At the same time, where they had pruned, it could have used more development between the relationships between Elton & others and made us, (well ME, since I'm only speaking for me,) CARE more about Elton. There's a basic problem in a film when viewers don't care about the main characters. I felt really, "Meh!" about him. Even if the character isn't likeable, there are ways to write the character to make him interesting, intriguing, fascinating, etc. I didn't feel any of those things.

So what I was left with was waiting for my favorite songs. I felt like I would have preferred to have watched it at home when it came on my TV. Then, I could get up during the boring parts to get something to eat & drink and come back to see if something more interesting is finally happening or a song I liked came on.

But, I felt there was something even weird about how they did the songs. Yes, they were often done big and sensational and a lot going on. Sometimes, I thought too much going on that it distracted from what the singing was about. Taron Egerton did a great job singing and dancing. Although, he didn't really sound exactly like Elton John. Close, but not exact. They could have fixed that by using an equalizer and adding more bass to his voice.

Yet, I wonder :scratchin if Elton actually wanted Taron to sound like Taron. In every interview I saw with Elton, he made sure to mention how Taron sang every song, throwing shade at Bohemian Rhapsody. I think they actually wanted people to know it was Taron singing, and not lip-syncing, like Rami Malek in BoRhap. (But Freddie Mercury had a 4 octave range. And Queen spanned so many styles of music that when they did Freddie Mercury tribute to Freddie, 6 months after he died, it took 20 different other famous rock musicians, including Elton John, to sing all the songs. No one artist, at the time, could sing all the songs and do them justice. And Freddie was loved that much by his contemporaries, that they all showed up.)

However, while the songs in Rocketman are visually spectacular, I felt dissatisfied after the songs were over. I'm still befuddled as to WHY??? :confused: It's like the songs didn't finish or something. At one point I even wondered if they sang the complete songs all the way through. That maybe they only sang the first verse & the chorus and I was used to hearing a whole complete song and wanted that. I can't put my finger on it. :scratchin And I have no intention of watching the movie again to figure out what it was.

I DID find a review by the New York Times which described the same thing:

"The other thing you want is Elton John’s music, a desire that “Rocketman” by turns satisfies, sharpens and frustrates. The songs aren’t quite the way you remember them, and in most cases the new versions are put to effective dramatic use. But they don’t quite stand alone, and they’re unlikely to displace the originals on anyone’s streaming playlist."​

Finally, I thought Rocketman ended at a disappointing spot. When it ended, I thought, "THAT'S where they are ending it???" :eek: :headache: Elton John has accomplished so much in his life, AFTER where the movie ended. They only touch upon that stuff, in the same way BoRhap did with some photos at the end, mentioning what happens in the future. Elton could have taught and inspired so much by putting that stuff in the movie, in my opinion.

Again, this is only MY opinion. I don't mean to dissuade anyone from going. It got many good reviews and a high score on Rotten Tomatoes. So, go for yourself and form your own opinions. popcorn:: :thumbsup2

Me, I'm now anticipating my next musical movie, premiering at the end of the month: Yesterday. It's about a man who wakes up in a world where no one knows about or has ever heard a Beatles song. No I'm not talking about millennials or Gen Z people. :lmao: This movie looks funny and endearing. In the story, someone wants the main character to change the lyrics of "Hey Jude," to "Hey Dude." :rotfl:

:scratchin Some of the numbers almost felt more like dialogue than music.

I think I figured out WHY I didn't care for Rocketman. I think it was because the songs were changed in a way I wasn't expecting and didn't care for.

Kind of like when some celeb sings the Star Spangled Banner, and adds their own spin on the song and changes it to make it into their own "rendition" of it. Even if their rendition is fine, I'd rather hear the Star Spangled Banner, sung the "usual" way. :headache:

Same with some concert footage. Some singers have sung their songs so many times, that they start changing up the song, to keep it fresh for themselves. I'd prefer to hear it the way I know it, and the way that made it famous & so popular in the first place.

Also the same when a singer sings a cover of a song. Sometimes, it's perfectly fine. Most times, I just like the "original" way better.

In Rocketman, Taron Egerton plays Elton John, but then he doesn't sing the songs the way Elton usually sings them. He either does his own rendition/cover of them, or as the movie is a musical, he does some of the songs as a dialogue with the other actors.

I didn't realize it, but I guess, I don't want my Elton John songs re-interpreted. I've been singing along with them for decades and have my own interpretation of them and am attached to the way the original songs were done.

It also explains why the only song I liked done in the movie was "Your Song." It was done, naturally, close to the original version.

If (general) you aren't attached to the original songs. Would be interested in seeing them done in a new, interesting way. That they are done with a fresh approach & interpretation, definitely go. You'll probably like it. Many here have said they do.

Last edited:
@Imzadi. I haven't seen it yet (I think I will wait until I can watch it at home) But I totally get what you are saying. Honestly, I have no desire to listen to Taron Egerton's interpretations of the songs. I want to hear Elton John's songs the way I remember them...sung by Elton John.

@Imzadi. I haven't seen it yet (I think I will wait until I can watch it at home) But I totally get what you are saying. Honestly, I have no desire to listen to Taron Egerton's interpretations of the songs. I want to hear Elton John's songs the way I remember them...sung by Elton John.
Well then, this isn't the movie for you. But honestly, it's kinda mezmerizing and after about the first 10 minutes you stop missing the original versions. Taron Egerton is masterful in the role.

Well then, this isn't the movie for you. But honestly, it's kinda mezmerizing and after about the first 10 minutes you stop missing the original versions. Taron Egerton is masterful in the role.
I agree 100%. I LOVE the new arrangements of the songs.

Just saw this movie tonight. I wasn't too sure I wanted to see it because it's a fantasy rather than a biopic, but I really enjoyed it. I thought it was clever how they introduced the songs, and told the story through them. I also agree that it's not a film for the young. I thought it ended at a good spot because it was telling a certain time in Elton John's life. His story is still being told, so I didn't feel I missed out by not seeing what he's done in the past 28 years.

I loved this movie, and spent a solid week listening to only Elton John (and the soundtrack versions of the songs) afterward. It was really refreshing, since Elton has always been someone who's music i like, but I am not a HUGE fan so I don't spend a lot of time with it. I found quite a few songs I didn't know well that stuck and are now added to my "favorite tunes" playlist!

I also thought Taron was phenomenal. His journey as Elton is so thorough, and his range is incredible.

It's not a documentary, nor did I expect it to be, so I was happy with, excited by, moved by, the things that told the story and moved it along.

Enjoyed it. Not as much as Bohemian Rhapsody, but still enjoyed it.

This was the big deal for me ---

Mesmerized by Jamie Bell. As in could see it again just to watch his performance. And to simply stare at him.

Bernie Taupin has described their - Elton and his relationship - as a non-sexual love affair. And whether it all was completely true to life, you know I don't really care (and usually I do). Because the beauty of seeing love, and intimacy, between two men was like a piece of art for me. Touched me deeply.

--------

And Rocketman is a good illustration that the past can often sit - until it doesn't.

Last edited:
I was surprised by the portrayal of John Reid (and I know the background of his real life betrayal).

It reminds me - and bothers me the same way - of the portrayal of Johnny Cash's first wife in Walk The Line.

Most people are not black and white in life. Even harder personalities usually have positive attributes.

And this was Elton's first love it has been said.

There would be no way in hell that I would want my first love to be portrayed so one dimensional. And ditto for Mr. Cash, who I like and loved Walk The Line, who allowed the mother of his children portrayed in such a horrid light.

I was surprised by the portrayal of John Reid (and I know the background of his real life betrayal).

It reminds me - and bothers me the same way - of the portrayal of Johnny Cash's first wife in Walk The Line.

Most people are not black and white in life. Even harder personalities usually have positive attributes.

And this was Elton's first love it has been said.

There would be no way in hell that I would want my first love to be portrayed so one dimensional. And ditto for Mr. Cash, who I like and loved Walk The Line, who allowed the mother of his children portrayed in such a horrid light.
Some really are that bad, even if just in relation to the emotional carnage they leave behind. For one on the receiving end of it to be more even-handed in a retelling from their own POV would take a grace most of us don’t possess. You Lisa, seem to be an incredibly kind and open-hearted person and you have my admiration. :flower3:

Some really are that bad, even if just in relation to the emotional carnage they leave behind.

I honestly hear you Annette :flower3: and can both understand and relate. And I also want to make sure that I am not arguing that many people can be horrid and destructive, including John Reid.

Nor do I believe that any past love means things need to be remotely sugar-coated.

But I really dislike when writing a character becomes almost disingenuous by not recognizing the full human being. Almost becomes a cardboard cut out portrayal. And hardly adds to the converation in my eyes.

Okay then, maybe it is time I stop typing. :laughing::drinking1

*raises hand* Me!

I was raised on Elton John. My dad took me to see him when I was 14. I had hoped there would be a way I could get my dad to this movie but unfortunately he passed in November. My oldest is going to take me. It’s going to be an emotional movie for us both.

I am so very sorry wenrob.

I find that one of the hardest parts of mourning. All the experiences where you so wish to have them right there. And their input/conversation.

Just seeing the late sixties/seventies made me shed a tear - and smile too. And of course the music.

I must go back and see what you thought of the movie. :goodvibes

Thank God for music. That's what the movie left me thinking. So much joy and healing. Rocketman did a fabulous job of illustrating its power.

I was surprised to see John Reid show up in Rocketman. I didn't know he had factored in such a large way to both Queen & Elton. It would have been interesting if the same actor had played him in both movies. :lmao:

It was awful. Not every LGBTQI musical has to be a comedy. Fun Home was superior on Broadway in every way. The problem is the script or screenplay is terrible. The first 20 minutes felt like Billy Elliott, I know Lee wrote the Billy Elliott Musical too. I enjoyed Billy Elliott and want to see DWP but why this Sir Elton?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter