Rogue One catch all thread

3. Like Awakens, everyone is able to travel anywhere in no time at all. In the original trilogy it took many hours if not days days to travel to other planets.

I don't think I would jump to the conclusion that it takes no time to travel, I think they just don't want to slow down the movie to show people sitting around. If you recall, ANH is the only one of the original trilogy that shows people waiting out the ride in hyperspace. in ESB, the Falcon's hyperdrive was broken through most of the movie, and it only makes a jump at the end. There isn't much time spent on Luke's trip to Dagobah either. Just a short conversation. In Jedi, when the Tydirium makes the jump, they cut to another scene. Same when the Rebel fleet jumps. It's just a narrative choice.

Last edited:
Just finished watching the making of specials that came with the bluray/dvd release today. I enjoy watching these so much, but I was surprised and a bit bummed that they didn't include anything about the music for this movie. That seems like a big oversight to me. The rest of it was great though, although I'd always love to see more - there was only about an hour's worth included.

Just finished watching the making of specials that came with the bluray/dvd release today. I enjoy watching these so much, but I was surprised and a bit bummed that they didn't include anything about the music for this movie. That seems like a big oversight to me. The rest of it was great though, although I'd always love to see more - there was only about an hour's worth included.

I watched those as well...the music was widely panned for rogue one, however. I noticed that as the biggest, most consistent criticism and agree. The pacing and feel didn't give that emotional pull.

Notice what they did concentrate on? The bringing back from the dead? One character at the time and now two that they still have no clue what to do with and it's a bit of a mess.

I watched those as well...the music was widely panned for rogue one, however. I noticed that as the biggest, most consistent criticism and agree. The pacing and feel didn't give that emotional pull.

I'm not familiar with this particular score ... but I think that Michael Giacchino doesn't have anywhere near the chops of any of the previous generation of big name movie composers, John Williams especially.

This might go back to the Rogue One director's limited grasp of music and his selection of both the soundtrack composer and the temp track he gave him as a guide. (I speculate)

Notice what they did concentrate on? The bringing back from the dead? One character at the time and now two that they still have no clue what to do with and it's a bit of a mess.

Isn't that also, sort of, one of the problems with Force Awakens? Poe was literally brought back from the dead within the film, and now there is the issue of reviving the character of Leia and the charisma of Han Solo.

Isn't that also, sort of, one of the problems with Force Awakens? Poe was literally brought back from the dead within the film, and now there is the issue of reviving the character of Leia and the charisma of Han Solo.

I see the parallel...yes. Poe is a great actor but is in this odd kinda "limbo" as far as where he fits. It's awkward.

Anyone at Lucas film that says fisher's death hasn't completely thrown the story off is lying.

I don't think they were ever going to kill that character. Hamill? Absolutely...which sucks because he is Star/soul of the whole enterprise and always has been...no matter the level of silliness with solo and boba fett and ninja yoda:..it was always him.

So what do they do now? Something really awkward at the beginning of episode 9 and a rewrite. Do they "swap" Luke for leia?

Or just off them all and say "don't worry, Daisey Ridley is just as awesome"

She's not...and likely will never be. We gen xers have a lot more time and money to spend on Star Wars...we are the core. Don't mess with me!!

Last edited:
I don't mind if they simply move to a new generation, so long as the actors are actually capable. I thought Daisy Ridley showed a lot of promise and, frankly, there is no going back. Carrie Fisher is dead and while they can bring Leia back for small parts, ala Grand Moff Tarkin, you can't build a movie around that kind of special effects. At least not yet.

But this trilogy seems to be following in the same tradition as the two other Star Wars trilogies in terms of casting. You pay for 1 real brand name actor to help out launching the first movie, and you give a bunch of mostly newbies or moderately seasoned others a shot at main roles. Here's the big correlation: Alec Guiness (ANH) = Liam Neeson (uggh Prequel) = Harrison Ford (SWFA). Star veteran actors playing starring roles killed off in the first movie of a new trilogy.

As for the less seasoned but experienced actors, Harrison Ford (ANH) = Portman (Episode I) = Carrie Fisher (Episode VII). Name recognition for all, experience for all, but few starring roles. Ford had a ton of roles, but nothing really starring before ANH. Portman had a few roles, including a turn as a child actress as a star, but nothing ground shaking, and Fischer's starring roles by the time Episode VII happened were 35 years stale with lots of minor roles and industry experience since. You could also throw McGregor into the mix as he had some experience before Episode I, TV and Trainspotting, but if you dive into it, it was pretty thin.

Finally you get the starring turn newbies. Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill in Episode IV, Jake Loyd (uggh) in Episode I, Daisy Ridley and John Boyega in Episode VII. There is nothing new here. Losing Fisher hurts the pattern as Ford, Portman and McGregor carried on throughout the prequels, but I don't see it as make or break. Especially as they can fill her role with Mark Hamill if they really want to. Seasoned actor, few starring roles (and those long in the past), but name recognition.

Regardless, the stories will make or break this trilogy, and the story in Episode VII was passable. Was it ANH or ESB? No. Not even close. But it was better than the prequels and, in my opinion, Jedi, which I always felt was the worst of the originals by far. The seeds of Jar-Jar and the stupid battle at the end of Episode I can be found in the abomination of the Ewoks and their role as a primitive species fighting a technologically superior foe. The difference, of course, is the characters and actors of the original trilogy could carry Episode VI, they couldn't carry the abysmal story boards of the prequels.

So long as the sequels are written decently, and the acting is ok, which Ridley and Boyega seem capable of, it will be good, solid entertainment. With or without Carrie Fisher.

I don't see fisher as the "star" of the current slate at all. She was downright awful in 7 and looked a little "worn" out by life. That is no joke intended...as it turned out.

Boyega and Ridley have lot to prove...I thought they did a good job...but thought the characters were a bit forced as well. Just as much as Adam driver.

The question is will they actually give them a story to tell? Because that was some Abrams nostaligia reboot puff piece...

What's past is prologue. Gary Kurtz and Irvin kershner (perhaps the two most significant players in the franchise after inception) both have repeatedly said that mark hamill made the franchise in empire and his performance based on the new ground they broke with the scale and special effects of the movies was breathtaking. Frank oz as well.

We used to make fun of him...but never really thought how hard it would be to sell the puppet and the family struggle angle.

Episode 8 is going to have to be his to save (it does need "saving" in a way...because of the choices Disney made by rebooting). Then he can be done...but he's kinda like "the once and future king"

I watched all the special features last night after watching the movie. I am bummed there isn't commentary or deleted scenes for bonus features. There were lots of scenes shown in the trailers that aren't in the final cut and I would have loved to hear more insight.

I watched all the special features last night after watching the movie. I am bummed there isn't commentary or deleted scenes for bonus features. There were lots of scenes shown in the trailers that aren't in the final cut and I would have loved to hear more insight.

There as an article in Forbes about this today...the suggestion is that Disney is too cheap to pay for the postproduction work on special features the way Lucas enjoyed to do it.

They're probably 100% right. Special features cost money.

There as an article in Forbes about this today...the suggestion is that Disney is too cheap to pay for the postproduction work on special features the way Lucas enjoyed to do it.

They're probably 100% right. Special features cost money.

It's been awhile since I watched it, but didn't TFA have more bonus material?

This might go back to the Rogue One director's limited grasp of music and his selection of both the soundtrack composer and the temp track he gave him as a guide. (I speculate)

I thought I'd heard that the composer was chosen kind of last minute due to someone else backing out? I wasn't thrilled with the music the first time I saw the movie, but I definitely appreciated it more after the 2nd, 3rd, 4th... lol... viewings. I really like the music they used during the confrontation on Eadu and also during the last battle at Scarif - oh, and also Krennic's theme music that they'd play every time he or his ship was onscreen.

It's been awhile since I watched it, but didn't TFA have more bonus material?

On the second, "3D" release...so that was a money making scheme.

Undoubtedly they paid more attention to filming extras as well...as the whole thing appears in retrospect to be Abrams, Kathy Kennedy, and Disney ego stroking each other from the jump.

Disney wasn't too keen on rogue one...they seemed to go through the motions. I honestly think it annoys them that the core fans have sunk their claws into it and it's getting "billion dollar cult status"...first record case of that.

How people accept this movie will effect the next two movies perception in particular.

That depends on what they're making. Fans don't want Han Solo reboot...and if they just rehashed empire for ep 8...well then some of the prequel angst is gonna start seeping out.

I thought I'd heard that the composer was chosen kind of last minute due to someone else backing out? I wasn't thrilled with the music the first time I saw the movie, but I definitely appreciated it more after the 2nd, 3rd, 4th... lol... viewings. I really like the music they used during the confrontation on Eadu and also during the last battle at Scarif - oh, and also Krennic's theme music that they'd play every time he or his ship was onscreen.

Agree 100%

The final sequences when Raddus is looking down on the planet was one of those chills Star Wars moments (a mon calamari trademark since 1983)...I thought the score highlighted that brilliantly there. The saw scene worked on that front as well.

Just to kick the can: my favorite two chill scenes are when R2 activates the hyperdrive from empire (with William's "hyperspace" thundering in the background)...which also followed my third favorite: Luke reaching out to leia under cloud city...excellent piece of music there as well.

And the other was the fleet coming out of hyperspace at endor (following Williams great "into the trap") and Akbar's "May the Force be with us...".
...the best

Of course, the green light saber flashing for the first time was a life changing moment as well.

All those scenes are about the music and much as the visual. True Star Wars fans are as big of a fan of the music as anything.

Agree 100%

The final sequences when Raddus is looking down on the planet was one of those chills Star Wars moments (a mon calamari trademark since 1983)...I thought the score highlighted that brilliantly there. The saw scene worked on that front as well.

Just to kick the can: my favorite two chill scenes are when R2 activates the hyperdrive from empire (with William's "hyperspace" thundering in the background)...which also followed my third favorite: Luke reaching out to leia under cloud city...excellent piece of music there as well.

And the other was the fleet coming out of hyperspace at endor (following Williams great "into the trap") and Akbar's "May the Force be with us...".
...the best

Of course, the green light saber flashing for the first time was a life changing moment as well.

All those scenes are about the music and much as the visual. True Star Wars fans are as big of a fan of the music as anything.

Vader taunting Luke in the shadows and the ensuing fencing match. My favorite scene in any Star Wars movie. The male chorus gave it a lot of weight.

Vader taunting Luke in the shadows and the ensuing fencing match. My favorite scene in any Star Wars movie. The male chorus gave it a lot of weight.

That entire sequence is usually referred to in interviews by those that worked at Lucas film as being the best work of the whole franchise...

From first appearance backlit through the fall...it's the essence of the genre.

That entire sequence is usually referred to in interviews by those that worked at Lucas film as being the best work of the whole franchise...

From first appearance backlit through the fall...it's the essence of the genre.

Excellent point. It really sums up Luke's struggle and the trilogy--flirting so closely and even dipping into the dark side. His father, the Emperor, the Rebellion's plight flashing in the background. And then he just gives in to whatever will be.

Aw, man. Now I'm going to have to go back and watch it again.

Excellent point. It really sums up Luke's struggle and the trilogy--flirting so closely and even dipping into the dark side. His father, the Emperor, the Rebellion's plight flashing in the background. And then he just gives in to whatever will be.

Aw, man. Now I'm going to have to go back and watch it again.

Don't you do that weekly anyway? Is that not normal?

The worst/best part about empire is that it makes all the whiffs since that much more pronounced...how did a rubber puppet and stop motion seem more "real" than all the garbage since?

Though a return to physical sets has Disney moving in at least the right direction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter