ROL or Pandora evening

I459WDW

Mouseketeer
I know there is going to be such a wide range of opinions but I am so torn and need input. Our plan is to be there the last week of August - AK has 8:30 closing with 8:45 ROL. I HAD made the dining package reservation to view ROL in reserved area because it just helps me to not stress out about it. So it's worth it to me. But I'd really like to see Pandora at night. We MAY be out of luck anyway as we looked up sunset that day and it says 7:55. What's your thoughts? Will it be worth seeing with a 7:55 sunset? Would YOU prefer to do that to ROL? I know lots don't like it. But I'll feel incomplete if I don't see all the nighttime shows! LOL (Could we stay at Pandora till 8:30 and run over to ROL for our preferred seating? Or will that be filled in by then?)

So we had a similar situation with wanting to see Pandora at night as well as ROL (with dining package). We attempted both but I felt so rushed and I couldn’t enjoy or explore Pandora. We got to ROL about 10 minutes prior to the showtime and got spots but they were at the benches in the back which aren’t the best view. So in my opinion to actually enjoy one or the other you should choose between Pandora + Tree of Life Awakenings or Rivers of Light

I did like Rivers of light, with gorgeous lighting and fountains; I think a lot of people were disappointed based on high expectations. I also spent more time exploring Pandora on this past trip and loved all the details.

So I think it depends on your own preferences-would you like to spend time sitting and watching a new show, or walking around exploring a new area. How busy will your day be-would you rather sit at the end or walk around some more?

I would pick one or the other. You'll want to arrive to the RoL theater at least 30-45 min before showtime.

I prefer Pandora at night but I would rather walk to my car than wait for RoL lol. If missing RoL would make the day feel incomplete then I'd do RoL.

Good thing for you is August is far away in terms of Disney calendars, so it's likely they'll extend closing time

I would pick one or the other. You'll want to arrive to the RoL theater at least 30-45 min before showtime.

I prefer Pandora at night but I would rather walk to my car than wait for RoL lol. If missing RoL would make the day feel incomplete then I'd do RoL.

Good thing for you is August is far away in terms of Disney calendars, so it's likely they'll extend closing time

I agree with this (except I liked ROL slightly more, LOL!). We were there the last week of August and the park hours extended to a 9:30 pm closing, so let's hope that happens again this year! I would keep your ROL dining package for now and plan on getting to the theater at least 30 minutes ahead of time. We had ROL FP+ last year and booked over there from Pandora about 15 minutes prior and barely squeaked into the theater in time to get a seat. If they do extend the hours, you'll have time to see the show and then walk over to Pandora afterward to see it at night. If they don't extend the hours, maybe plan to be in Pandora until 8:10 pm and then walk quickly over to the theater.

OK - now that is funny. I kinda agree with you. One of my best friend's brother works at Disney. As they were trying to originally get this attraction up and running, and were WAY behind, they started referring to the attraction as Ruin My Life. It was difficult on them. Company was pressing to open, yet the attraction was just not working correctly.

If you feel like your trip won't be complete without doing ROL, then you need to do that. I know that a lot of people hate on it, but we really enjoyed it. We also were underwhelmed with Pandora at night. It's pretty, but just not as spectacular as I thought it was going to be.

I’m in the Pandora camp, I love walking around the area at night. That said, I did think RoL was beautiful... for the first 10 minutes. After that the kids were bored and we were trapped on the benches in the theatre with no escape. It did not help that it was hotter than hades that day, and the stone benches held on to so much heat that we felt like lizards on a heat rock. I much prefer RoL from the walkway where we can observe and move on!

Rivers of Light was a one and done show...I know how you feel that you need a nighttime show to satisfy the day. However, you’re really not missing much.

I would do Pandora evening- but we don’t do nighttime shows, since we have much more fun riding our favorite rides over and over.

I know there is going to be such a wide range of opinions but I am so torn and need input. Our plan is to be there the last week of August - AK has 8:30 closing with 8:45 ROL. I HAD made the dining package reservation to view ROL in reserved area because it just helps me to not stress out about it. So it's worth it to me. But I'd really like to see Pandora at night. We MAY be out of luck anyway as we looked up sunset that day and it says 7:55. What's your thoughts? Will it be worth seeing with a 7:55 sunset? Would YOU prefer to do that to ROL? I know lots don't like it. But I'll feel incomplete if I don't see all the nighttime shows! LOL (Could we stay at Pandora till 8:30 and run over to ROL for our preferred seating? Or will that be filled in by then?)
We really enjoyed Rivers of Light, so I would recommend that.

I really liked Rivers of Light. It was different and beautiful. If you have your heart set on that, i'd go for ROL for sure. But you are going in August...as another poster said, no doubt they'll extend park hours at AK. When i went in November they extended the park hours just a month or two before my trip I believe. So you could still possibly do both. :)

Pandora is cool at night...but man is it dark!

I personally love Rivers of Light. It is my favorite night show at Disney. I see every time I go. As far as Pandora, I finally saw it at night when I went back in Jan. I don't know if my expectations were raised due to everyone saying how much they love it at night, but I was very underwhelmed.

Regardless of what you decide (although I’m in the Pandora camp if it’s an either/or) do not miss the Tree of Life Awakening.

It was mesmerizing and beautiful. And there’s no timetable planning involved, it’s a continuous showing until park close.

I'm so glad you asked this question, because I myself was having a hard time choosing. I've been watching the podcast for a while now and I've heard not-so-great things about the ROL show. To me, it sounds stunning. I think I watched their review of it some time ago when they first released it, and it looked pretty to me. We made dinner reservations at Tusker House and then have reserved seating for ROL directly after. I also would enjoy walking around Pandora at night. Hopefully they extend the hours at least just by one hour so we could have a chance just to see it at night. I don't know how we will feel, we may just be exhausted and want to go back to the room. I guess we will just have to see. Thanks for asking this question, I had the same question!

I vote for Rivers of Light. Pandora is okay, but there isn't really anything to do other than the rides, and I found the lighting to be a bit underwhelming. We went over there after our RoL show, but I don't know what the park hours will be like for you.

Pandora at night is like nothing I've seen before from the lighting on every surface, the increase sounds, the beautiful lighting of the plants, and the peaceful feeling. Add to that the Awakening of the Tree of Life light shows ......... between the two of those I feel like they are a wonderful way to end the day, a colorful show that really highlights the park atmosphere. I can't imagine missing those things.

I liked ROL! here's what we did, Pandora stuff till almost showtime,then we hoofed it over to the backside of the ROL lake,and watched from there.... not the full effect,but very nice! I'm planning on that again! completely avoided the whole seating area which is fine by me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!