Rollator walker vs wheelchair vs scooter - Crazy Christmas season!

elaine amj

DIS Veteran
My mother will be 71 when we take her for her first visit since I was little this Christmas. We plan 2 park days over a two week camping trip to Fort Wilderness. She is active and mobile, able to hike 30-60 mins at a time. She does find wheelchair assistance at the airport less stressful and occasionally uses a scooter at Costco.

I have done the parks during Christmas week with my dad when he was 68 and we did fine, just kept walking to a strolling pace.

We plan on taking it relatively slow (will bring her back for a long trip next August) so don't need to see everything. We do want to do NYE at Epcot though.

My worries about a scooter is managing the insane crowds. I think it will be a horrible pain in the crowds and slow us down a lot. With a manual wheelchair, we can push her quickly (4 of us active folks to push her). However, we do already own a rollator (she doesn't use it) and that could be a lightweight, manageable device. Simpler for boarding buses too. We have experimented with her sitting in it while we push her around the living room and it works fine (prob more comfortable for short distances).

Suggesstions/tips/advice/war stories?

Also wondering how we would secure something like a walker or wheelchair if we want to park it for a bit.

I strongly caution against pushing her in the rollator. I saw someone pushing someone on one once and they hit a fairly small bump and it tipped over backwards dumping the person down on their back and head and the person pushing fell right on top of them. Most are not made for pushing people on actually.

My mother will be 71 when we take her for her first visit since I was little this Christmas. We plan 2 park days over a two week camping trip to Fort Wilderness. She is active and mobile, able to hike 30-60 mins at a time. She does find wheelchair assistance at the airport less stressful and occasionally uses a scooter at Costco.

I have done the parks during Christmas week with my dad when he was 68 and we did fine, just kept walking to a strolling pace.

We plan on taking it relatively slow (will bring her back for a long trip next August) so don't need to see everything. We do want to do NYE at Epcot though.

My worries about a scooter is managing the insane crowds. I think it will be a horrible pain in the crowds and slow us down a lot. With a manual wheelchair, we can push her quickly (4 of us active folks to push her). However, we do already own a rollator (she doesn't use it) and that could be a lightweight, manageable device. Simpler for boarding buses too. We have experimented with her sitting in it while we push her around the living room and it works fine (prob more comfortable for short distances).

Also wondering how we would secure something like a walker or wheelchair if we want to park it for a bit.
before you decide on the rollator try pushing her around outside on uneven ground with her seated in it. not sire I would want to push one around a park

Maybe you could rent a comfortable wheelchair for her to use. If she wanted to, she could sit and let you push her or she could use it as a walker. She could certainly use it sit in and rest.

She could fold it up for bus transport and in your room.

You could put identifying markers on the rental chair to mark it as yours in case a cast member has to move it.

I have a luggage tag on mine with info, name, resort, phone number, etc..

You could put ribbons or tie something else around it so someone else would not accidentally think that it was their wheelchair.

I just make these suggestions based on your comments.

I strongly caution against pushing her in the rollator. I saw someone pushing someone on one once and they hit a fairly small bump and it tipped over backwards dumping the person down on their back and head and the person pushing fell right on top of them. Most are not made for pushing people on actually.

GREAT point! Didn't consider the whole uneven ground thing.

Hmmm.....

So scratch pushing her in a rollator - I guess it is scooter vs wheelchair vs rollator as a seat/walking aid.

Really worried about scooter/wheelchair in Christmas crowds. Especially since fireworks shows and NYE dance parties are high on the priority list.

Maybe we are better off just taking her slowly through the parks (she often leans on one or two of us when her legs get tired). We did that with my father and he had no issues managing 2 park days.

GREAT point! Didn't consider the whole uneven ground thing.

Hmmm.....

So scratch pushing her in a rollator - I guess it is scooter vs wheelchair vs rollator as a seat/walking aid.

Really worried about scooter/wheelchair in Christmas crowds. Especially since fireworks shows and NYE dance parties are high on the priority list.

Maybe we are better off just taking her slowly through the parks (she often leans on one or two of us when her legs get tired). We did that with my father and he had no issues managing 2 park days.

Since the ECV is obviously a concern, I would scratch that off the list. And everyone else up there is absolutely correct: The wheels on the Rollator are great for using as a walker, but if you check with the manufacturer, they actually discourage pushing someone seated. There is also a device called a "companion chair" that has four small wheels on it, but it is not meant to be used all day, and especially not on rough, uneven, patterned concrete. Those skinny little wheels are a nightmare waiting to happen! :(

But I would still strongly consider the Wheelchair, if only because it will give her a seat at a moment's notice - and that is something that will be *sorely* lacking at the time of year you all are going. Plus, at the end of a tiring day, it will give her a place to sit while you all wait for the bus back to FW :) If she wants to walk for a while, you all could take turns riding in it - or just fold it up and push it along. Remember to fold up the foot rests if you do, and if you plan on that, bring along a strip of Velcro OneWrap long enough to hold the handles together.

Personally, I think a wheelchair would be fine during the holidays, even on NYE, if you use the "bubble" technique! Lots of folks use this at WDW - think of it like this: You are pushing your Mom in the chair. Have a family member walk on either side of the chair, and one in front (or behind you, if you feel like you need the "bubble" more). There will be times - like when you are against a curb, or a wall, when you will have to have one of your side people drop back or move forward, but you get the idea - you are literally creating your own bubble of safety and keeping the wheelchair in the middle of it! This helps prevent a lot of the folks who aren't paying attention from just walking right into the path of the chair, or even walking directly *into* the chair, because they aren't paying attention... or they have been "Drinking Around The World!" (they always have t-shirts on with that slogan, like they are the first ones EVER to think of it LOL)

Overall, we don't have issues with the theft of mobility devices at WDW - it's much more likely that a Cast Member will move it in the service of keeping walkways open and tidy, or in the very rarest of cases, there could be a case of "mistaken identity" where someone else grabs your rental, thinking it is theirs. As @RaySharpton said above, that's why we recommend using brightly colored ribbon or bandanas tied onto the rental; it helps alert others that "Hey, this isn't the chair I rented". Never leave bags, parcels or other items in/on the device, obviously.

If you all are staying in the Cabins at FW, they have HA units with roll-in showers that have a fold down bench so that she can safely sit to shower with a hand wand. Those units also have a ramp for mobility devices, and are located on a couple of loops. You do need to specifically reserve one of those units; otherwise you will most likely be put into a standard cabin.

Let us know if there are any other questions we can help with - and :welcome: to our little corner of the DISBoards! :)

Thanks so much for the advice! The bubble would be a good plan.

We are actually tent camping. My mother does well sleeping on the ground. Just need to bring her hiking sticks along so she can haul herself back up again. She really is quite mobile and active for her age but naturally I want a reasonably comfortable trip for her.

We are very used to threading efficiently through huge crowds so worried a scooter / wheelchair will just be frustrating to deal with at that time of year.

I do think it will be helpful though and a rollator won't be helpful enough. So next question - scooter or wheelchair?

So next question - scooter or wheelchair?

Will your mother want to be able to explore the campground on her own or be able to do things there independently? If yes, the answer is a ECV (scooter) but that will be harder to manage in crowds in the park. That is where the wheelchair has the advantage. If you are doing two weeks but only two park days, you could rent an ECV from an off-site vendor to have for the whole time. Once your mother has gotten comfortable using it at the campground, she will be ready to handle it in the parks. Or, if she realizes it will be too much, you could just rent an in-park wheelchair on your two park days. You will have to figure out a cover for the ECV for the campsite and how to plug it in to charge.

With a manual wheelchair, we can push her quickly (4 of us active folks to push her).

It's going to be very crowded, so there will be no way to push her quickly. But it would be handy to have 4 people able to alternate in pushing her slowly.

So next question - scooter or wheelchair?

Wheelchair - and you can leave it in stroller parking if you don't want to push it through the entire land.

Wheelchair for sure. I find navigating in an ECV in October exhausting. I can’t imagine at Christmas.

I only use an ECV at Disney. It gives me the opportunity to go by myself. If I was,using a wheelchair i would need someone pushing me. With the heat and crowds, someone in party would be pushing. There is,a lot of walking! If I have a hard time with my hands, its,easier for my daughter 32) to use the handles and drive it for me walking on my side. She and I have discussed this often and while she would be willing to push me, the scooter is just a lot easier!

You could try without a wheelchair the first day, and then around two hours from park close, you can go get one from Guest Relations. They are sometimes free within 2 hours of park close (at least they were last September at Epcot). They you can "test" the wheelchair option. If it goes well, then you can opt for that on your next park day.

Last edited:
Hmmmm...just had a chat with her. She is now saying she thinks a rollator walker will be sufficient. Just so she can have somewhere to sit when she is tired and something to lean on to aid her walking.

Lots more to discuss as I am starting to wonder if a wheelchair is better.

Using my rollator...I don't feel safe sitting down unless I have my back to the wall. Even when the wheels are locked there is chance I feel like I may tip over and fall. When I place the rollator against the wall I feel a little better. I am speaking as a solo person.

Have you seen her use the rollator and sit down?

However, we do already own a rollator (she doesn't use it) and that could be a lightweight, manageable device. Simpler for boarding buses too. We have experimented with her sitting in it while we push her around the living room and it works fine (prob more comfortable for short distances).

Actually FYI, many rollator companies deem it against policy to have someone sitting on the rollator while it's moving. Some have signs on them that say not to use the rollator as a wheelchair. We live in an area where lots of people try to push the user on the rollator, but it's dangerous. When my rollator was delivered, the salesman was telling me about a case where the "rider" fell off the rollator when the "pusher" went over a bump in the parking lot. They sued the rollator company and lost.
I'd go with the ECV option. When Mom wants to walk around, just park it (usually along with the strollers) and it should be fine. Just don't leave anything of value in the basket and take the key with her.

I agree with Ray Sharpton, I don't feel safe sitting on rollator without it being up against a solid surface (wall).

Thanks so much for the advice! The bubble would be a good plan.

We are actually tent camping. My mother does well sleeping on the ground. Just need to bring her hiking sticks along so she can haul herself back up again. She really is quite mobile and active for her age but naturally I want a reasonably comfortable trip for her.

We are very used to threading efficiently through huge crowds so worried a scooter / wheelchair will just be frustrating to deal with at that time of year.

I do think it will be helpful though and a rollator won't be helpful enough. So next question - scooter or wheelchair?

Hmmmm...just had a chat with her. She is now saying she thinks a rollator walker will be sufficient. Just so she can have somewhere to sit when she is tired and something to lean on to aid her walking.

Lots more to discuss as I am starting to wonder if a wheelchair is better.

First of all, let me just say that I wish I could be your mom when I grow up! Wow. Sleeping on the ground? If I am on the ground these days, typically an ambulance has been called, and people are saying things like "Are you OK? Did you break any bones? Where does it hurt?" LOL

Although I understand your fear about using a wheelchair in such crowded conditions (believe me, I wish I never had to use a mobility device at Disney World again under the *best* of conditions, let alone at the holidays) in your shoes, I would lean towards the wheelchair for these reasons:

- As I mentioned before, it gives her a place to sit at a moments notice.
- It also gives her a place to sit while waiting for buses/boats back to FW.
- Someone in your group can push her, allowing her to rest fully while she is seated.
- Although she is in great shape for her age, walking an average of 3 to 10 miles *per day, every day* can - and does - take a toll on even young healthy Guests.
- Epcot is harder to walk, because of it's design - and so she could tire out sooner than she is prepared to.
- Walking in crowded conditions like you will have can actually be stressful and hard for some folks, because they don't do well reigning in their gait, and their stride. Especially if she is used to walking fast, it can be tiring to have to walk slowly, and dodge others when your legs just want to GO! :)
- Pride goeth before a fall. Literally. She needs to know that no one is going to give her a second glance, she won't stand out in any way; there are too many folks who use mobility devices at WDW. But - worst case - if she falls down, there *will* be a commotion the likes of which she hasn't seen for a while - including lots of Cast Members and possibly the folks from Reedy Creek EMS as well.
- I know that she is obviously strong and healthy, and in her everyday life at home, there is nothing she probably can't do. But WDW Is *not* like anyone's home life - and the stress tends to be cumulative as you go through your days there; everyone starts off fresh and ready to go, but by the end, we often feel like we need a vacation to recover from our vacation at Disney World! Having the chair with you all, kind of "on standby" might be a great way to go.

I know you only want what is best for your Mom, and what will help her have the best possible trip. It sounds like you know what you feel like you *should* do... you just aren't ready to pull the trigger. :) Taking care of our parents is tough to begin with, and it doesn't get any easier. I hope you have a great trip, and make all kinds of wonderful memories with her, and everyone gets home feeling happy - and most importantly - healthy! :)

My Mom has been fine renting an ECV at WDW for about 10 years now. First few years were in the park, but only Epcot (so big) and AK (paths too uneven). She gave in after a few years and now we rent offsite.

We are local to Disneyland with APs and go a lot for just a day. About 2 years ago, we started a day and after the 4th time sitting and resting after going just a short distance by 10 AM, I suggested we get a wheelchair. To say she was against it was nice, but I told her I can push her for a day (a day yes - a week at WDW, no) and I think it would help. And if she wanted to walk, she could push an empty wheelchair for a bit. She went for it and we had a fantastic day. And since then, we have always gotten the wheelchair unless it is a short shopping only visit (and then we will stop to rest a bit), and our Disneyland days have been so much better. We can stay longer instead of being done by 12-1 PM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter