Room Checks

CarouselofPop

Earning My Ears
Currently here at Pop Century, it’s our last day and it’s SO hot (my weather app says the “real feel” is 112 degrees!) So, we are in the room trying to relax, stay cool, and nap. We are aware of the room checks, and the other day when we were napping they came in, apologized, and walked through the room into the bathroom (flushed the toilet?!?), then left. Cool, that’s no problem, we expected that (well maybe not the toilet flushing part.) Well today someone knocks until my husband gets up to answer the door. We didn’t have the latch on, but they just kept knocking instead of coming in, so he got up. Once he answered the door, the lady said she was here to do a room check. He told her ok that’s fine, go ahead. She then says “ok, can you step out of the room for a minute?” So here I am, laying in bed in my pjs with a pillow over my head, being asked to get up and exit the room. What?? After a few minutes of me stuttering “what, what’s going on” (seriously, I was confused and disoriented) she finally says she can come back later. Has anyone else ever been asked to get up out of bed and leave the room for a room check?? So weird.

Currently here at Pop Century, it’s our last day and it’s SO hot (my weather app says the “real feel” is 112 degrees!) So, we are in the room trying to relax, stay cool, and nap. We are aware of the room checks, and the other day when we were napping they came in, apologized, and walked through the room into the bathroom (flushed the toilet?!?), then left. Cool, that’s no problem, we expected that (well maybe not the toilet flushing part.) Well today someone knocks until my husband gets up to answer the door. We didn’t have the latch on, but they just kept knocking instead of coming in, so he got up. Once he answered the door, the lady said she was here to do a room check. He told her ok that’s fine, go ahead. She then says “ok, can you step out of the room for a minute?” So here I am, laying in bed in my pjs with a pillow over my head, being asked to get up and exit the room. What?? After a few minutes of me stuttering “what, what’s going on” (seriously, I was confused and disoriented) she finally says she can come back later. Has anyone else ever been asked to get up out of bed and leave the room for a room check?? So weird.
I don’t know what the protocol is during these times, but Maybe she thought you’d be uncomfortable with her coming into such a close space with you?

She shouldn’t be asking people to get out of bed though. Maybe she thought just your husband was in the room.

I don’t know what the protocol is during these times, but Maybe she thought you’d be uncomfortable with her coming into such a close space with you?

She shouldn’t be asking people to get out of bed though. Maybe she thought just your husband was in the room.
Yes, she saw me pop my head up from the covers and pillow like a gopher lol. Then asked again if we cared to step out of the room for a minute. Stood there long enough for me to knock almost everything off the little side table thing while searching for my glasses. Then once I put them on and looked at her and started with my “huhs?” and “what’s?” again, that’s when she said she could come back.

We’re in POP room now also and noticed the room check on first level so we are waiting ... last trip a few weeks ago they knocked and came in to look specifically behind the TV...
And yes HOT in HS and fairly crowded.

I was never in the room when they came by last weekend at YC, but I always turn all the lights off when I leave and every day I'd come back to the room and the bathroom lights would be on. I was wondering exactly why they were so interested in the bathroom (maybe looking for signs someone is nursing an illness with meds? who knows). So weird they flushed the toilet, but I wouldn't be thrilled to be asked to leave my room so they could come in and look.

I was never in the room when they came by last weekend at YC, but I always turn all the lights off when I leave and every day I'd come back to the room and the bathroom lights would be on. I was wondering exactly why they were so interested in the bathroom (maybe looking for signs someone is nursing an illness with meds? who knows). So weird they flushed the toilet, but I wouldn't be thrilled to be asked to leave my room so they could come in and look.

Given that the primary reason for the checks is looking for signs of human trafficking, the bathroom search is understandable. It would be more likely to have signs of it in there if not someone actually put in there. Not sure why the toilet flushing bit (though that could be a way to check and make sure drugs aren't being hidden in there).

I was in the room when they came to do the room check at Pop a few weeks ago. I said sure go ahead and the lady asked for a good time to come back, as they couldn't enter while guests were present.

Given that the primary reason for the checks is looking for signs of human trafficking, the bathroom search is understandable. It would be more likely to have signs of it in there if not someone actually put in there. Not sure why the toilet flushing bit (though that could be a way to check and make sure drugs aren't being hidden in there).
Well the YC bathrooms have glass doors so there in no hiding anyone in those showers, trust me, they don't have to turn on all the lights to see anything in there. Even with the lights off in that room during the day you could see what you wanted to do since sunlight came in that room all day. I hate having lights left on, and it always annoyed me when I came back, not that it's a huge deal it was just annoying. I get what they're looking for, but in my case they really didn't have much to look around since I was alone for just a long weekend and didn't bring a lot of stuff with me. Most uneventful and easy room check ever.

One I can't believe the world we live in, and two that it affects my Disney world.

I feel like they do the toilet flushing bit, check plugs behind tv, flick lights on/off etc..... because they like to give the illusion to guests that they are checking for maintenance issues.

I feel like they do the toilet flushing bit, check plugs behind tv, flick lights on/off etc..... because they like to give the illusion to guests that they are checking for maintenance issues.

thats what I think too. Last pop trip we were there for a few afternoons napping. Once the lady saw my sleeping teen and apologized and didn’t come in. A couple of times the person walked through the room looking around as she did and went into the bathroom and flushed the toilet and left. So odd. I figured it was to give that illusion or else Pop has a lot of toilet problems lol

The ideal time to actually check for maintenance issues would be before the guest checks in, so as not to disturb the guest. IMHO it looks incompetent to look for unreported maintenance issues once the guest is already in the room. So if that is the impression they are trying to give, it doesn't impress me. I feel that it is also more respectful to the guest to be straightforward about the actual reason for visiting the room.

I know. But Disney (or any amusement park really) would sadly be a perfect cover.
How do you figure? Why go to such an expensive place with so many people coming and going instead of some fleabag motel on the outskirts of town where no one asks questions about the variety of odd things they see? That's such a weird problem to assume is rampant at Disney hotels specifically and an even stranger "solution" to it.

How do you figure? Why go to such an expensive place with so many people coming and going instead of some fleabag motel on the outskirts of town where no one asks questions about the variety of odd things they see? That's such a weird problem to assume is rampant at Disney hotels specifically and an even stranger "solution" to it.

I don’t “figure”. Taking them to Disney is an easy way to build trust and show them - even though in reality it is creating an illusion - they will be taken care of. It is not always grab and then into a cellar.

Last edited:
The ideal time to actually check for maintenance issues would be before the guest checks in, so as not to disturb the guest. IMHO it looks incompetent to look for unreported maintenance issues once the guest is already in the room. So if that is the impression they are trying to give, it doesn't impress me. I feel that it is also more respectful to the guest to be straightforward about the actual reason for visiting the room.
Oh, I agree. We’ve been in the room during plenty of room checks and I always ask them straight up what they’re looking for. The things security does and says are often laughable. They usually give a maintenance spin or sometimes they come in and say something to the effect of them looking for ways to increase guest satisfaction and making sure we’re happy. :rotfl:

So they can come in daily for room checks but they can’t come in daily to clean the rooms?!!
Exactly! I used the new chat on the app before we arrived to ask if the gift card was still available if we declined housekeeping. The CM on the chat told me yes, but that I needed to go to the front desk and ask about it. At the front desk I was told “we are not doing the gift card now, because of the pandemic.” After I got back to the room I started thinking that if we weren’t going to be reimbursed for declining housekeeping, then I would rather just have housekeeping! I called the front desk and asked if it was possible to request housekeeping for our stay (even if it was every other day and not full service as usual). The CM told me she would have to check, put me on hold, then came back and said we would be added to the list. Our room was never cleaned once the entire week. We did call for towels once though, and they came within 10 minutes. They emptied our trash when they brought towels. I asked what we needed to do with any further trash that needed emptied and they told us to put it outside the door. Seems to me that this would attract lots of bugs/critters! Also, for whatever reason, no can liners/trash bags are in the cans anymore. I asked the guy that brought the towels if I heard correctly that we just set any trash we want picked up, outside in the little gray trash cans without bags, and he said yes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!