Room Discount with CAD Res tickets Question

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
Room discounts came out today and we can apply it to our reservation. Yah. (Have only booked the room so far)

Question 1....I assume that I would have to call in to get the room discount applied? Or can you do it online with the app? (Long distance charges or Google Hangout option, but there is a time limit and phone lines will be busy).

Question 2...We have yet to purchase the Canadian tickets but will do so in the next couple weeks. Any advantage to bundling it with the room discount? From my calculation, purchasing them separately is $558 cheaper, but any reason to bundle or not bundle? We have our flight booked so our dates are set (i.e. don't plan on cancelling unless for emergency or weather issues, which we will have insurance)

You can go online and see if you can book your dates online with the discount. Then go in and cancel your origianl reservation. This will result in another charge to your CC. If you have a US$ card not likely an issue but if you have to pay forex fees on the credit and the new charge it may not be the best option, but it is quick.

The only time I have bundled tickets and room is when I have been able to take advantage of free dining. Otherwise it's room only and tickets separately (even if I get them from Disney)

you should be able to just go into your reservation and change the room without a phone call or canceling your current reservation. If this is possible you'll see a button that says something like change or modify (I was trying to do a screenshot but I can't get signed into my aaccount, the new discounts must be overwhelming the site) just click on that and you'll be able to change anything. I've done that twice with a current reservation as I waited for the right resort and then room category to pop up. I'm not sure how the system handles a drop in price because mine actually involved an increase and I had to pay the difference. I kept the same reservation number and everything, super easy.
as to is there any benefit to building a package? I don't think so, you'll then be stuck with the cancellation policies for a package compared to the room only. You'll get a few coupons but personally we never use them and the plastic luggage tags that are included don't get shipped so you really aren't missing any benefits.

I'm not sure how the system handles a drop in price because mine actually involved an increase and I had to pay the difference. I kept the same reservation number and everything, super easy.
They handle a price drop by applying the room deposit you already paid to your "new" reservation. You will get a statement that shows your new total, minus the deposit that you had previously paid, and a new (hopefully much lower!) bottom line.

Thanks. I ended up calling. The one thing the agent says is that if we purchase the package, then tickets + room are 100% refundable up to 30 days before, so I just bundled the resort discount and Canadian tickets. If we purchase the Canadian tickets separately, then it's a separate ticket not refundable (and if we can't make our date, we wouldn't' be able to go before Dec 31st).

And yeah...the agent cancelled our original booking (refund coming in next 5-9 business days) and did new booking with new deposit.

So should be all good.
Thanks!

And yeah...the agent cancelled our original booking (refund coming in next 5-9 business days) and did new booking with new deposit.
Just a little trick to avoid the FX fee being charged on your credit card: If you buy Cdn Disney gift cards with your CC there is, of course, no FX fee as they are in Cnd $, And Disney converts the gift cards to US$ with no fee as well. So when paying off vacations we go to Shopper's and get 5 or 6 $500 (or however many you need) gift cards and pay the bill off that way. Voila no FX fees!

Just a little trick to avoid the FX fee being charged on your credit card: If you buy Cdn Disney gift cards with your CC there is, of course, no FX fee as they are in Cnd $, And Disney converts the gift cards to US$ with no fee as well. So when paying off vacations we go to Shopper's and get 5 or 6 $500 (or however many you need) gift cards and pay the bill off that way. Voila no FX fees!
I've seen the Disney cards at Shoppers but not clear on what you mean. If you purchase the Disney gift card with your cc, it doesn't go as credit on your CC. You then have the gift cards in hard....so how do you pay off your package with them? (plus as you say, the package is in USD but card/cc in CAD)

I've seen the Disney cards at Shoppers but not clear on what you mean. If you purchase the Disney gift card with your cc, it doesn't go as credit on your CC. You then have the gift cards in hard....so how do you pay off your package with them? (plus as you say, the package is in USD but card/cc in CAD)
You just choose the gift card as your payment option and the system will charge the card with a Canadian amount equivalent to the US amount at the prevailing exchange rate.

You just choose the gift card as your payment option and the system will charge the card with a Canadian amount equivalent to the US amount at the prevailing exchange rate.
Is there a limit to Disney Card amount you can use? Ours costs 2000 USD for room + Canadian tickets.

Is there a limit to Disney Card amount you can use? Ours costs 2000 USD for room + Canadian tickets.
The gift card has a $500 limit but you can buy as many as you like. I have previously you the Disney gift card website to combine some (only up 1000) but I have heard some talk about that no necessarily being safe so your likely better to just add one at a time. If you run into any issue you can call. If you owe 2000 Usd, then I would purchase either $3000 Cnd and you can use any left over at the parks or resort for food. Or you can start with $2500 and then get one for the remaining amount based on the exchange rate Disney uses that day!

The gift card has a $500 limit but you can buy as many as you like. I have previously you the Disney gift card website to combine some (only up 1000) but I have heard some talk about that no necessarily being safe so your likely better to just add one at a time. If you run into any issue you can call. If you owe 2000 Usd, then I would purchase either $3000 Cnd and you can use any left over at the parks or resort for food. Or you can start with $2500 and then get one for the remaining amount based on the exchange rate Disney uses that day!
Thank you for the tips! Need to read more up on the Disney Cards but the above might be useful as we don't have a dining plan so would be paying as we go (not even sure how it works at WDW if you purchase food....if you just tap your magic band to pay, or if you pay cash / credit or gift card)

Thank you for the tips! Need to read more up on the Disney Cards but the above might be useful as we don't have a dining plan so would be paying as we go (not even sure how it works at WDW if you purchase food....if you just tap your magic band to pay, or if you pay cash / credit or gift card)
You can pretty much pay either way. If you tap your band it gets charged to your room (ie the CC attached to the room) or you can pay with gift cards or cash or even a combination of the three. Gift Cards are a great way to go to avoid the unnecessary FX fee for all your Disney needs.

You can pretty much pay either way. If you tap your band it gets charged to your room (ie the CC attached to the room) or you can pay with gift cards or cash or even a combination of the three. Gift Cards are a great way to go to avoid the unnecessary FX fee for all your Disney needs.
This is great to know. Thanks!
Even if we don't pay off our package using gift cards, it seems handy to purchase some cards here (in CAD) and then use them for food when there. If I understood you correctly, the CAD gift card amount gets converted to USD amount at the current exchange rate....but would save the extra foreign exchange charge that credit cards charge.
Then when we run out, use our magic band to pay for the rest.

This is great to know. Thanks!
Even if we don't pay off our package using gift cards, it seems handy to purchase some cards here (in CAD) and then use them for food when there. If I understood you correctly, the CAD gift card amount gets converted to USD amount at the current exchange rate....but would save the extra foreign exchange charge that credit cards charge.
Then when we run out, use our magic band to pay for the rest.
You understand correctly. You can also pay by tapping your band and then going to the front desk at the hotel each night and paying off the balance with a gift card, to avoid it being charged to the credit card. That seems like a lot of trouble to me but some people prefer it. Actually on my last trip, I paid for the tickets and dining plan using Cdn$ gift cards, (hotel was DVC) and then brought cash and paid for tips and shopping that way. Worked well for me but everyone is different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter