• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Room Maintenance at DVC resorts

tgj

Havin' a Zip-a-dee-doo-dah Day!
I know that some have expressed on these boards that room maintenance at some of the more popular DVC resorts (BWV, BCV, VWL) can, at times, be a challenge because the resorts are often at 100% capacity and cannot be taken out for maintenance as often as they may want.

I've also heard on these boards that since DVC rooms receive only T&T and not daily full housekeeping that there may be a little more wear and tear than at other non-DVC rooms that receive daily care.

My question is this:

1) Since SSR is the largest DVC and wouldn't be at 100% very often, and
2) since that may mean more non-DVC regular paying guests (CRO?) with daily housekeeping, and
3) since that may also mean it is easier to take a room out of service for needed maintenance,

is it reasonable to think that SSR might be in better shape in years to come than a resort that's much more popular?

I'm wondering especially from the OKW members, as I'm thinking that resort was/is in a similar situation. I'm also thinking the same might be true in the future at AKV, as they'll have a pretty high capacity.

PS:
(I'm not trying to start a war or anything. I've not even stayed at all the DVC resorts and I'm therefore not trying to comment on them. I'm mainly just concerned with SSR and OKW, not the other guys. Don't read too much into this....)

Thanks for your input,
TGJ

Good question
however I think you missed some of the equation the condition would also depend on how well the people who stay there take care of it. There is a vacum in every room if it is used by the guests the carpet will certianly look cleaner and stay nicer for a longer period of time. Also depends on how the room is treated I have seen bent tracks on the sliding doors which is obviously abuse....
To say the rooms in one resort will be in better shape than another has a lot of variables that can change at any time.
From my experience I have never had a room in OKW that was in bad condition or abused in BWV and BCV I have SSR would be irrelevant as it is to new.

DVC is designed so that all the resorts operate at nearly full capacity all the time. The smaller resorts get there first, but that doesn't mean SSR has low occupancy rates most of the time - they will still be very full when you check in. If it isn't, then there are problems with the system since those rooms need to be full in order to pay for trades. The exceptions - the rooms that don't need to be full - are points that go unused (and there are some) - and even those are sold via CRO to offset our dues.

Or, to look at it the other way, DVD sold enough points to fill the resort to something around 95% capacity - if it isn't at capacity people aren't using their points.

When I was at SSR a few weeks ago, it was not full.

I was at Boardwalk last year for 5 days and 3 of the days had vacant rooms all around us.

I was at Boardwalk last year for 5 days and 3 of the days had vacant rooms all around us.

We were at VWL 5/5-5/8 and I don't think it was anywhere near capacity. Rarely saw anyone in the hall(other than mousekeeping) or on the elevator. It was very quiet in the halls.

I might even do another trip next year at the same time, only ride we really needed FP for was Soarin'.

SSR isn't sold out yet. That will create occupancy. It won't last - unless people are wasting their points.

I know that some have expressed on these boards that room maintenance at some of the more popular DVC resorts (BWV, BCV, VWL) can, at times, be a challenge because the resorts are often at 100% capacity and cannot be taken out for maintenance as often as they may want.

I've also heard on these boards that since DVC rooms receive only T&T and not daily full housekeeping that there may be a little more wear and tear than at other non-DVC rooms that receive daily care.

My question is this:

1) Since SSR is the largest DVC and wouldn't be at 100% very often, and
2) since that may mean more non-DVC regular paying guests (CRO?) with daily housekeeping, and
3) since that may also mean it is easier to take a room out of service for needed maintenance,

is it reasonable to think that SSR might be in better shape in years to come than a resort that's much more popular?

I'm wondering especially from the OKW members, as I'm thinking that resort was/is in a similar situation. I'm also thinking the same might be true in the future at AKV, as they'll have a pretty high capacity.

PS:
(I'm not trying to start a war or anything. I've not even stayed at all the DVC resorts and I'm therefore not trying to comment on them. I'm mainly just concerned with SSR and OKW, not the other guys. Don't read too much into this....)

Thanks for your input,
TGJ

I believe construction quality will also play into this factor. For example, my understanding is that SSR has the advantage in that DVC learned a lot from the construction mistakes made with BWV.

I think room decor also factors in. The dark colors and "rustic style" furniture of VWL don't show wear/stains the way BCV and BWV do. SSR seems to be sort of in the middle in terms of decor - the color palatte/patterning seems a more stain-friendly, but the more "high end" look of the furniture may make small damage more noticable.

From the mock-ups, it looks like AKV has a pretty decent wear/stain resistant decorating scheme - especially since they made the smart move to get rid of the crazy leather couch idea!

Very interesting and thought-provoking responses...Thanks!

Just a few additional quick questions/comments for everyone's consideration...

Does daily housekeeping for cash guests make a significant difference in the overall upkeep?

Are SSR guests more likely to try and get in the smaller properties (as some have stated on these boards earlier)?

Therefore, does SSR now, and in the foreseeable future have a higher percentage open rooms and therefore more cash guests than the smaller, more popular DVC properties?

Was/Is there a similarity with occupancies over the last few years OKW?

Also, I agree with the color schemes/materials improvements in SSR. That's makes sense. I also think that DVC will probably use this new knowledge when renovating BWV and BCV in the future to avoid a repeat...

Again, thanks!

Good question
however I think you missed some of the equation the condition would also depend on how well the people who stay there take care of it. There is a vacum in every room if it is used by the guests the carpet will certianly look cleaner and stay nicer for a longer period of time. Also depends on how the room is treated I have seen bent tracks on the sliding doors which is obviously abuse....
To say the rooms in one resort will be in better shape than another has a lot of variables that can change at any time.
From my experience I have never had a room in OKW that was in bad condition or abused in BWV and BCV I have SSR would be irrelevant as it is to new.

People can be a problem. I can't understand how some of the damage occurs? I have seen the end on a drapery rod broken off. Large deep scratches in tables and furniture and carpet stains from who knows what. :sad2:

I definitely think OKW has held up better than BCV, in my opinion and this is no insult to anyone that owns there or the resort itself it took a beating very quickly. Not sure if it was due to the furniture and carpet they bought for it or the heavy occupancy.

I stayed there on opening day and I stayed there exactly one year later and I was amazed at how worn it looked. It looked older in a year than OKW did in 5 years.

And before anyone tries to say the decor is shabby shiek, I know the difference in a casusal decor and stains and graffitti carved in the tables. It just looked tired very quickly.

Personally I think and this would not apply to any of the DISers, that due to the attraction of SAB; guests have a tendacy to over load these rooms more than other locations.

I have friends that work there and they have also had some issues with renters. I know all renters are not destructive but when you know that damages are the responsiblity of the member and not the guest, it does not encourage one to care.

I agree that the colors at BCV and (to a less extent) BWVs are problematic.

And I do think that daily cleaning would take care of some of the issues - though each cleaning is expensive and a more frequent refresh may be cheaper than more cleaning. A daily cleaning would get stains before they set.

I also think DVC needs to take more steps to be more aggressive on room damage - big scratches in coffee tables should be being billed to the last guest, and the table should be getting replaced. If I were Disney, each room would be photographed as part of each cleaning, and extraordinary damage billed to the last occupant. It would help with quality issues in maidservice as well, if you had to photograph the room before you left and knew someone could evaluate those photos.

Does anyone think that OKW used better quality room furnishings and other room features since it was the first DVC resort? Also, could it be possible that OKW has more rooms than BC? If so, wouldn't that make BC ware quicker than OKW?

I know OKW has been around longer than BC, but just thinking in general.

Does anyone think that OKW used better quality room furnishings and other room features since it was the first DVC resort? Also, could it be possible that OKW has more rooms than BC? If so, wouldn't that make BC ware quicker than OKW?

I know OKW has been around longer than BC, but just thinking in general.

I definitely think OKW used a higher grade carpet and furniture, however the number of rooms would truly not be a test, only occupacy levels. I know the BCV stays very busy and possibly as stated by the OP, that does not allow for thorough cleanings and repair.

I think that BCV crowd is just a rowdy bunch. ;)

I'm just echoing comments from others but here goes:

I think the high occupancy is a bigger issue than lack of daily housekeeping. Daily housekeeping wouldn't keep people from scratching tables, ripping down curtains or gouging walls. But the high occupancy means that sub-standard rooms will often be given to guests. I hate to use this phrase but IMO it can easily lead to lower standards at the resorts.

For example, in the short term a resort may be completely unable to fix a hole in a room's wall due to arriving guests. But by the time occupancy has fallen-off and there is time to fix the problem, the attitude has changed to "oh, let's just wait until someone complains about it."

I agree with others that the quality of materials used at SSR and likely AKV too, is superior to some of the other more recent resorts like BCV. I don't think we need to look any further than the mattresses originally purchased for BCV to know that Disney built that resort on-the-cheap.

Fortunately many of the problems are correctible. Mattresses, furniture, carpet and wall coverings will all be upgraded over time. No, you may not see granite-style countertops or improved plumbing fixtures at BCV, but many of the original shortcomings are already being addressed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter