Rooms for Disabled in WDW Resorts

Mazzy

Planning for 2019
Hi everyone!

I am partially deaf and have visited WDW twice before and never stayed in a room specifically for the disabled as my DH, DD and DS are all hearing so we managed for most of the time.

We will be visiting again in Dec next year staying at the All Star Movies Resort. This time round I am thinking that it would be good to have the disabled room as WDW provide vibrating pads/flashing lights to help the deaf. The problem I have is that if I am in the room on my own, as does happen now the kids are older, we tend to split up more often, I don't hear anyone at the door. The rest of the family do have a key ofcourse but I do like to have the bolt on the door for safety.

Has anyone who is deaf used these appliances? What exactly do they provide for you? Something to hear someone at the door? Also, we have booked with a travel agent and the cost includes one room with two double beds, for the 4 of us. From what I have read the disabled rooms only have one king bed, is that right? If we had to have two connecting rooms the price would be having to pay for 4 adults so there is no way we could afford that!

Sorry this is so long, any help would be appreciated :D

They have both types of rooms that are handicapped, the room with the king size bed is for the mobility impared. I'm not sure if they have special rooms just for the hard of hearing or not or if the flashing lights and stuff is portable but I would call and ask.

Welcome here with your questions.
The "disabled rooms" that they talk about at WDW are for people with mobility problems. I don't think all of them have one king size bed, that's just one type of wheelchair accessible room.
Here is a number for you to call:
WDW RESORTS/SPECIAL RESERVATIONS (407) 939-7807 [voice] or (407) 939-7670 [TTY].
This number is listed in the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities as the place to call for special equipment or facilities. Some of the things they list as being available include: knock and phone alerts, TTYs, strobe light smoke detectors. I don't know, but I think most of these things would be portable and would just be brought into whichever room they are needed in. The TVs in all the rooms have close captioning already. If you go on past all the channels on the TV that don't have it, you will find the same channels with closed captioning.
Hope this helps.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

Actually SueM there are two types of handicapped rooms at WDW depending on how old the hotel is and if it's been remodeled lately. They have a hadicapped room which has the grab bars, higher toilet, roll under sink, tub with hand held shower head and other things that ADA requires and then there is a barrior free room which replaces the tub with a roll in shower. Some of the resorts have both types of rooms and some of the older resorts don't so you need to ask when you call them. Also you can ask for 2 full size beds like all the other rooms or you can request the king size bed.

We stayed at CBR in Sept, DH is hearing impaired and we requested a "kit" for our room. We stayed in a regular room with 2 double beds & when we got to the room a technician was waiting for us with the equipment. They bring in a long suitcase type box which stores under one of the beds & includes telephone couplers and a TTY. They also bring a special smoke detector, alarm clock(I think), bed vibrator and door knocker that transmit back to a small device that sits on the nightstand. Very helpful when I ran down to do laundry & he stayed in the room with the security lock on the door. Also very safe in case of a fire, etc.. They were very happy to accomodate us with these things. On a side note--we were so pleased with the R Captioning for so many of the rides/attractions/shows and got into to see Fantasmic 2x's with the great seating & captioning. Hope this helps!

Karen

9/00-CBR-1st time visit to WDW
9-10/01--CSR or WL who knows-heehe

Thanks pugdog and Karen. I knew the info about the different types of handicapped room because we've stayed in both types, but you clarified it pugdog. And thanks, Karen for that first hand info. I thought that was how the did it, but I wasn't sure.

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
cinderella08.gif
ˇ

Thanks everyone for your replies :D

Karen - thanks for telling me about your experiences - I will be contacting my travel agent to let them know what you have told me so they can arrange that for me. I also think the RC is great, and we too saw Fantasmic with the captions, it made a real difference as I didn't realise how much I was missing first time round!

Mazzy

Hope you enjoy your stay there in Dec! Just be sure to confirm at check-in that they have equipped the room with the items. If they have not, they can call a tech right away & they would meet you at your room. We finally decided that for our Sept. trip we will be trying out 2 adjoining rooms at ASMo. I'll let ya know how it goes!

Karen

9/00-CBR-1st time ever to WDW!
9/01-ASMo :D

Thanks Karen! We will just have the one room at the All Stars and I know that the rooms are smaller than DXL where we stayed last year, so I'm hoping there is enough room for the equipment and the four of us :)

It will be interesting to hear how you get on, and thanks again for helping me out :D

Mazzy

May 1999 WDW Dolphin
Sept 1999 DLParis Offsite
Nov 2000 DXL
Dec/Jan 2001/2 ASMovies

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter