Rope Drop Timing?

PDettorre

Earning My Ears
I have never rope dropped before. If the Magic Kingdom has an opening time of 9AM, what time would you have to get there in order to be in a good position for rope drop? We are staying at the All Star Movies Resort, so the travel time is a bit long. Trying to figure out what time we would have to leave the hotel in order to make it for rope drop.

For a 9am park opening, MK lets people in the front gate in the 7:45-8am range, roughly speaking. Guests are free to roam Main Street and the Hub. Many shops are open, Starbucks is open. PhotoPass photographers are usually out, as our Main Street vehicles.

The opening show is on the castle stage at approx 8:55am, after which the “ropes drop” at the various spokes off the Hub and the park is open.

Given the nearly hour of “loading time” before the park opens, you have a lot of flexibility of just when to arrive. You can get there early and enjoy the sights/sounds of Main Street, or get there a little later in the hour - it’s really personal preference.

The only real time sensitive thing would be if you want to head to 7DMT. If that is the goal, you’ll want to be near the spoke that goes to Tea Cups. The crowd in front of that spoke will grow more quickly during the pre-9am time than other spokes.

Have fun!

For a 9am park opening, MK lets people in the front gate in the 7:45-8am range, roughly speaking. Guests are free to roam Main Street and the Hub. Many shops are open, Starbucks is open. PhotoPass photographers are usually out, as our Main Street vehicles.

The opening show is on the castle stage at approx 8:55am, after which the “ropes drop” at the various spokes off the Hub and the park is open.

Given the nearly hour of “loading time” before the park opens, you have a lot of flexibility of just when to arrive. You can get there early and enjoy the sights/sounds of Main Street, or get there a little later in the hour - it’s really personal preference.

The only real time sensitive thing would be if you want to head to 7DMT. If that is the goal, you’ll want to be near the spoke that goes to Tea Cups. The crowd in front of that spoke will grow more quickly during the pre-9am time than other spokes.

Have fun!
Perfect, thank you so much for this information! I have been to Disney millions of times, but always with children, and they always tend to have a harder time getting ready and to the bus in time no matter how we plan it. This time it will just be me and my husband, so we really want to do rope drop and see what its all about. Thanks for the information!

Since it's just you and hubby, figure on trying to catch the bus before 8. That will give you plenty of time to do bag check and stroll down Main Street.
We like to head towards BTMM at rope drop to avoid the crowd in Fantasyland, esp 7D (although going to try something different this time w/ BOG PPO)
Good luck and enjoy RD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter