Rose & Crown A Major Disappointment

KenHutch

DIS Veteran
I never thought I would write those words in all 4 of our previous trips to this one Rose & Crown was our Epcot mainstay. We had several issues the waitress showed up and quickly and this was a good thing because after our drinks and food was delivered we only saw her waiting on the heavy drinking party of 12-16 people next to us. Now I have to say out of the 8 of us the person who had the fish & chips said they are still the best in the world. I had the Corned Beef & Cabbage. The cabbage was cold and the corned beef was tough. My girls both had the shepherd pie and it was cold. A couple had the bangers mash and told me if the food had been hot it might have been pretty good. I use a 3 strike system before dropping a restaurant from our rotation but the girls have used the rarely used veto on this place. Both have banned me from ever getting an ADR here again. If anyone else has eaten here recently I would like to know if this is a trend here or if we caught them on a very bad night.

We tried it in December and it is off our list. We had all sorts of issues with out server, she was also serving a large table next to us and they got all her attention, it was just two of us. We had to wait for her to come take our orders after every course and had long waits in between each course. My son can't eat without something to drink and more than once his glass was empty for at least 15 min. before she came and checked. The table on the other side of us, who didn't have her, rotated twice while we were there. We actually had to flag down a different server to go find her to get our bill, he couldn't find her and finally came back after about 5 min. to tell us she was "out back". I got the cabbage and corned beef and had literally one piece of cabbage. It is the one and only time we have left less than a 20% tip, we actually left a 10% tip and only because I wasn't sure if all the staff shared the tips. We won't try it again because there are still so many TS restaurants on site we haven't tried and it's not worth repeating one that we didn't have a great experience at. In all fairness, we try not to repeat any restaurants but there are some if we are looking for somewhere to eat around 4 pm for 6 that night and they are the only thing that will pop up we will repeat. This is not one of them.

We ate here a few trips ago and had two reservations at 8pm, but wanted to be seated near each other outside. Our 5 top was seated outside and there was a table empty next to them. The hostesses told us we could not have that table as it was taken. Closest they could get us together was inside. The inside table had a table open next to us. We ate the entire night and no one was seated in either location. They were just rude. My wife was furious. We will not go back.

@WallE71 It will be a very long time—or never—that we eat at our local PF Chang’s due to their seating policy which sounds like what you describe at R&C.

Us: “Can we sit at that booth?”

Hostess: “No. It is meant for 4, but you are only 2. Here is a nice wobbly table with the kitchen entrance on one side and the bathrooms on the other. Yes, half the place is empty, but this is the only table you can have.”

If we weren’t really hungry, we would have walked out. Naturally, not long after we were seated, two people were given the booth that we asked for. The food was lousy, so the next day, I wrote a sharply worded Email message to the manager for which I never received a reply.

I never thought I would write those words in all 4 of our previous trips to this one Rose & Crown was our Epcot mainstay. We had several issues the waitress showed up and quickly and this was a good thing because after our drinks and food was delivered we only saw her waiting on the heavy drinking party of 12-16 people next to us. Now I have to say out of the 8 of us the person who had the fish & chips said they are still the best in the world. I had the Corned Beef & Cabbage. The cabbage was cold and the corned beef was tough. My girls both had the shepherd pie and it was cold. A couple had the bangers mash and told me if the food had been hot it might have been pretty good. I use a 3 strike system before dropping a restaurant from our rotation but the girls have used the rarely used veto on this place. Both have banned me from ever getting an ADR here again. If anyone else has eaten here recently I would like to know if this is a trend here or if we caught them on a very bad night.

If it was me the food would have sent back with discussion with management.!

So sorry to hear of your disappointing experience, OP! We actually have R&C booked for Christmas Day...now I'm rethinking that choice. As a PP said, there are so many other great options at Epcot there really isn't a need to waste an ADR on a bad one.

So sorry to hear of your disappointing experience, OP! We actually have R&C booked for Christmas Day...now I'm rethinking that choice. As a PP said, there are so many other great options at Epcot there really isn't a need to waste an ADR on a bad one.
Agreed. Probably my least favorite and I would rather just get the fish and chips outside instead

We ate there in November mainly because DS requested it. Now we ate there before and I have a decent memory for food at WDW. What i remember about the fish and chips was that the fish took up a majority of the plate and therefore worth the price. This time it was the same amount as the counter meal outside. We too were ignored for the drinks. We knew exactly what we wanted even before looking at the menu. and ordered quickly,A table close by had the same waitress, were seated after us, they were unsure of what they wanted and had tea after their dessert, and were out before us. A manager came through and asked how everything. I told her and she was taken aback about the size of the food in my memory, told me I was absolutely wrong. Apologized for having to wait for food and drinks. She claimed the fish was always the same size. Sorry but the reason I remember the fish size is because the stepson made a comment on the amount of fish.

Rose and Crown has been a must do for our family the last 2 years. But now reading about the recent menu change and seeing the removal of our favourite NY Strip and Fish entree, I'm seriously rethinking my upcoming ADR.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience at Rose and Crown. It has been a tradition of ours since 2008, but I've heard many bad reviews lately, especially due to the menu change. I'm sad to see it getting a bad reputation now.

We were there in June, and we were immensely disappointed. The chicken curry dish was horrid — there were few pieces of chicken and the tzaiki sauce had tomatoes in it. My DD had the fish and chips, and she said it was okay, not great. We did the cheeseboard for dessert, which was also downsized in selection and quality. We won’t be back until the ship is righted. (And yes, we completed our survey to that effect.)

Oh no, sorry to hear this. I read great things about the Rose and Crown (in guide books) and have a dinner reservation but now not sure if I made the right choice. I am new to this board and I am getting so much helpful information even if it's not what I wanted to hear. It's better to hear it now than get there and be disappointed.

Well, yes the menu change could be offputting to those who are used to having the fish and chips & steak duo, that's gone from the menu, as is my smoked salmon appetizer. However, had lunch there in August and the Fish and Chips is as good as before and the Bangers (succulent) and Mash is still banging (served with a savory sauce of caramelized onions and red wine reduction, it's still a winner) My son had the Corned Beef & Cabbage, came piping hot, lean and tender, just as good as the year before. So, take reviews with a grain of salt, the steak is gone, so for steak lovers, yes opt to go elswhere if that's your go to meal!

And, there's no excuse for putting up with cold food, every restaurant can have an off night but to serve several dishes cold, I'm getting the manager ASAP!

The menu change came with an explanation that the Chef wanted to provide a more authentic Brittish menu, well my suggestion, bring back the Sunday Roast dinner from years past, now that was a winner!

Last edited:
We went the end of last November. It used to be our favorite. I have now taken it off our list. We were sat outside in a corner with no lighting it was pitch black. There was supposedly a light out. They did supposedly call for maintenance but hello just move us!. The food was ok but we always ordered the steak and fish which has been removed from the menu. I'm boycotting until they add it back.

Well, yes the menu change could be offputting to those who are used to having the fish and chips & steak duo, that's gone from the menu, as is my smoked salmon appetizer. However, had lunch there in August and the Fish and Chips is as good as before and the Bangers (succulent) and Mash is still banging (served with a savory sauce of caramelized onions and red wine reduction, it's still a winner) My son had the Corned Beef & Cabbage, came piping hot, lean and tender, just as good as the year before. So, take reviews with a grain of salt, the steak is gone, so for steak lovers, yes opt to go elswhere if that's your go to meal!

And, there's no excuse for putting up with cold food, every restaurant can have an off night but to serve several dishes cold, I'm getting the manager ASAP!

The menu change came with an explanation that the Chef wanted to provide a more authentic Brittish menu, well my suggestion, bring back the Sunday Roast dinner from years past, now that was a winner!
I don’t mind menu changes if they are competently executed. Our experience in Jun was way short of competent.

We were disappointed in our Rose and Crown dinner August 2018. I knew about the menu change ahead of time and thought we would give it a try anyway. It has always been a favorite for us. We had Bangers and Mash and the salmon although we really wanted the steak and fish that is now gone. Then bangers and mash is about 1/3 the size from the original dish of a few years ago and no longer has the braised cabbage. The salmon - the salmon was good but the kale and brussel sprouts were nasty. Our server said they menu change was because the restaurant was trying to be more authentic to the region and the time period represented.
We have cancelled our reservation for October and have no plans to return anytime soon.

yea it’s off our list too now with the removal of the steak and fish. i loved the peppercorn sauce and it was a great meal. now we just want the fish and chips and get them right at the walk up counter. still go for drinks but not dinner until i start seeing some more positive reviews

Still getting lots of great reviews on TripAdvisor. I'm not a steak fan so that change on the menu does not upset me. We love the fish and chips and the Welsh pub burger was probably the best burger I've had in wdw.
I would never cancel a reservation on the back of forum reviews especially if I've never been before. Try first before you decide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!