Rose & Crown ...or Chefs De France?

DisneyTravelers2008

Sally & Clay (Disney Travelers 2008)
We have been to Chefs de France twice and like it a lot. But, we have not been to Rose and Crown. If you could pick one of these two for dinner, which would it be and WHY?

If we don’t have dinner at Rose and Crown, can we go in and sit at the bar and order an appetizer and a drink/beer?

I have heard Rose and Crown is great for viewing fireworks, however we will probably have dinner / drinks before that time frame.

The R&C menu has never really appealed to me so I’d do CDF.

ETA: Yes you can certainly go to the bar and have a drink. I think there is a slightly different food menu tho

We have been to Chefs de France twice and like it a lot. But, we have not been to Rose and Crown. If you could pick one of these two for dinner, which would it be and WHY?

If we don’t have dinner at Rose and Crown, can we go in and sit at the bar and order an appetizer and a drink/beer?

I have heard Rose and Crown is great for viewing fireworks, however we will probably have dinner / drinks before that time frame.

This is the kind of dilemma I have...I am afraid to give up a place where I know I like the food for one I am not so sure about. But I am going to risk it this trip - I booked La Hacienda instead of CdF.

This is the kind of dilemma I have...I am afraid to give up a place where I know I like the food for one I am not so sure about. But I am going to risk it this trip - I booked La Hacienda instead of CdF.

I totally understand. We have been so "underwhelmed" by so many restaurants at Disney that I am cautious to add a new place. I think we will compromise....we will eat at Chefs De France and just go into Rose and Crown at some point for a snack / appetizer and beer.....

I will say this about Chefs De France...we have cut several places out of our list of restaurants and this one remains on the "go back" list. It is a little loud in there but most Disney restaurants are. But, we like the food a lot!

Last January my wife and I went to Rose & Crown, your choice of words is spot on, "underwhelming" is how we both felt. I think the fish and chips at Yorkshire County Fish Shop is much better then the fish (singular not plural) chips at Rose and Crown. My wife thought the Sheppard's Pie was ok, but nothing exciting. The single Scotch Egg was good, but for 1 egg it was not that good.

Ever time we've been to Restaurant Marrakesh we really enjoyed it, so it was sad that Rose & Crown didn't live up to that level of quality and enjoyment for us.

Did you go to Finnegan's when you went to Universal (I remember you posting over there). I like them a lot, and it's a very similar menu. Which is also part of the reason I haven't gone to R&C, cause it's so similar and I've heard nothing but mixed reviews of R&C.

We prefer Chefs and I only do Rose-Crown for grabbing a beer at the bar to go. We have also dined at Rose & Crown and were underwhelmed as we have dined at a set of better English restaurants at other destinations/cities.

Just be aware that there is very little actual seating in the Rose and Crown bar area. There are only 4 or 5 tables with chairs in there and it can be hard to get a seat. The whole length of the bar is standing only, there are a couple high top tables that don't have chairs.

Our practice is we always try one new restaurant on a trip, and keep the old standby favorites the rest of the trip. That way we never feel like we are missing out on our go tos.

Did you go to Finnegan's when you went to Universal (I remember you posting over there). I like them a lot, and it's a very similar menu. Which is also part of the reason I haven't gone to R&C, cause it's so similar and I've heard nothing but mixed reviews of R&C.

We have been to Finnegans ...good guess!!! I think we will stick with Chefs de France and just grab a beer at Rose and Crown if its available :) I looked over the menus and definitely prefer the French style of food

We are not fans of R&C, which is just okay in our book. Just okay is not good enough for the prices charged.

We enjoy Chefs much more. That bread alone is worth a reservation.

My DH loves, absolutely loves, the R&C bar however.

For what it’s worth, we weren’t expecting much from La Hacienda and were completely surprised with a terrific experience. The Del Mar dish for 2 is outstanding.

It is one of our favorite WDW restaurants now.

We have been to Finnegans ...good guess!!! I think we will stick with Chefs de France and just grab a beer at Rose and Crown if its available :) I looked over the menus and definitely prefer the French style of food

Good choice!

Rose and Crown used to be a must for us! Then the menu changed and we skipped it this year for Chef's De France. Boy were we glad we did.

Chefs De France was amazing!! A new must do for us :)

Good choice!

Rose and Crown used to be a must for us! Then the menu changed and we skipped it this year for Chef's De France. Boy were we glad we did.

Chefs De France was amazing!! A new must do for us :)

if you like Chefs Dr France you should try Monsieur Paul sometime...it was amazing but for the price we are just doing Chefs de France this time

We have loved R&C for years but June trip left us underwhelmed with the reduced menu and quality of the items that remained. We were disappointed and passed our comments along. I would skip it.

If you had asked me this before our June trip I would have sung the praises of Rose & Crown but after that trip I have to vote for Chef De France. Our meal at Rose & Crown we got a waitress who phoned it in. She worked a massive drinking table next to us and the normally great food was really bad. The one person in our party who had the fish sang its praises but the shepherds pie was cold and I joked that the corned beef I had was closer to bad horse meat than anything else.

If I had to choose between the two I'd go with Chefs but frankly, I'd probably pick somewhere else. We had one of the our two worst service experiences of going to WDW for over 30 years at R&C. The food was just o.k., I got corned beef and cabbage and literally had one piece of cabbage which was disappointing. We do eat at Chefs if we are walking around and can't find anything else and are just too tired to go to a different park. We find the food o.k. but the service just about every time slow and not slow in an allowing you to enjoy your meal but slow in they just don't care sort of way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter