Rotisserie chicken

Gumbo4x4

Note to the ladies who forgot to
Do you buy them at the grocery store?

What do you do with them?

We might serve them just as “chicken”, or shredded in casseroles, soups, etc. Regardless, I find it easiest to debone them right away. Home from the store, then let it cool on the counter just enough that it can be handled by hand. Meat peels right off and I typically don’t even need to use any utensils. Then, the carcass & skin go in the pot to make some stock.

You?

Do you buy them at the grocery store?

What do you do with them?

We might serve them just as “chicken”, or shredded in casseroles, soups, etc. Regardless, I find it easiest to debone them right away. Home from the store, then let it cool on the counter just enough that it can be handled by hand. Meat peels right off and I typically don’t even need to use any utensils. Then, the carcass & skin go in the pot to make some stock.

You?
Pretty much the same thing. I like to use them in a sauce, because I like the chicken shredded rather than cubed or cut.

I buy them fairly often—almost every time I go to Costco. The first night we typically eat it as just chicken with sides—potatoes, salad, veg of some kind. I then usually take most of the meat off and set that aside for another meal and throw the carcass in the crockpot, cover it with water and add carrots, onions and celery and let that cook overnight. I then typically either freeze the stock to use later or make chicken noodle or wedding soup. With the leftover chicken I will sometimes add some of that to the soup and/or make another meal such as salads topped with chicken, enchiladas, quesadillas, or chicken salad. Really depends on how much is left.

I got one once because I heard it was an easy way to have chicken for tacos. It was a lot of work to get all the meat off the bones, and it didn’t end up being they much meat. I just buy breasts now and cook and shred them myself.
I will admit the carcass was nice for making some stock.

I like to eat just a little shredded in salads if we get one of these. We don't get them often but they are fine occasionally.

We enjoy it with some type of potato, vegetable. Never thought of making stock with it and freezing it for future use for chicken noodle soup. Love homemade chicken noodle soup on a cold winter day. Thanks for the tip!:-)

We buy them from the grocery store or Swiss Chalet.
We always eat them with french fries and Swiss Chalet sauce.
When we’re done we’ll pick off the meat for sandwiches the next day, but the skin and carcass goes in the composter.

Rotisserie chickens are one of my cooking short-cuts. I buy them every once in awhile when I know I need precooked chicken for upcoming meals. We buy ours at Costco. I remove all of the meat and bag and freeze it in the portion sizes that I need. I then toss the bones and skin into a pot with onion, carrot, celery, water, and seasonings for making chicken stock. I strain and cool the liquid and then freeze that as well.

Having chopped cooked chicken in the freezer means that I can put together a number of meals quickly. I sometimes call it a rubber chicken, because one $5 bird can be stretched into several meals (depending upon how many people you are expecting that single chicken to feed). Some examples of what we make include:

Baked Chicken Tacos (We make ours less spicy and skip the beans, but they are very adaptable.)

Wild Rice Casserole (This is a similar recipe to the one I make. I use the rice medley from Trader Joe's.)

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup (Again, this isn't the exact recipe that I use. Mine has diced red pepper and I grate my carrots, but it is very similar. I use the broth that I have made with the bones in this and supplement it with canned broth if I don't have enough.)

Chicken Broccoli Alfredo (I make this up by just tossing broccoli, chicken, noodles, and homemade alfredo sauce together, but I'm sure there are any number of recipes online)

Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Soup

I’ve found them to be too salty for me personally. So, about twice a month I buy a whole chicken and cook it in the air fryer and shred it to freeze for recipes.

Lately I've been just buying and eating them as is, but there are times I get one specifically for a recipe that needs shredded chicken in it.

I no longer by the Costco ones. They are the largest, by far, of any stores chicken; however, I find that they "overtreat" theirs with sodium solution and sometimes the breast meat seems "mushy" to me. I now buy them at Wegman's (supermarket). Same price, they taste better (less sodium treatment) but they are a bit smaller.

I buy them at Sam's Club once a month or less. We eat some with potatoes and sides that day. Some meat will be left for snacking/light lunch the next day. I could never get enough meat out of one chicken for 2 or 3 meals.

Freeze the bones and boil a couple of carcasses all day with herbs, spices, carrots, onion, celery, garlic, bay leaf for a rich bone broth.

I like them when the weather is really hot and I can't face the thought of standing at the stove or the grill. I debone and use the shredded meat for hummus wraps or to add protein to a salad. Leftovers of either are great for lunch the next day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter