Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

@CheapRunnerMike Fun Fact: they recently re-did a bunch of the bad sidewalks in my neighborhood...so some of my only chances at "real elevation" (stepping over slightly buckled concrete) is now gone :(
It's ok if you feel sad for me about it.

I sure hope not!!!

I was banking on millimeters!

@CheapRunnerMike Fun Fact: they recently re-did a bunch of the bad sidewalks in my neighborhood...so some of my only chances at "real elevation" (stepping over slightly buckled concrete) is now gone :(
It's ok if you feel sad for me about it.

Love it.

And that waterfront route is awesome...I've said it before and will keep saying it, the Lake Front Trail is one of my favourite running spots anywhere.

Loving all of the Halloween attire!

And that waterfront route is awesome...I've said it before and will keep saying it, the Lake Front Trail is one of my favourite running spots anywhere.
This is definitely on the list! Hubs and I have never been to Chicago...have been at the airport for layovers, but that doesn't count.

Oh, I love the Halloween plans. It's good that you have Roxykiddo there to tell you what characters you should be. Hopefully she'll wise up about Gaston soon.

Running is great and all... but THOSE COSTUMES. Love it! You will be the Belle of the MNSSHP-Ball! I haven't watched Elena, but I love her look! I was watching my niece last night and she also likes Gaston better... come on kiddos! ;)

Ok, because running actually is GREAT (despite my opening comment): I think after tonight you ARE tapering! How did that happen?? Bring on the crazies!! And if Chicago measures elevation in mm, it even further solidifies my need to do a Chicago race someday.

Tonight is my last training run that isn't an easy pace prior to my race. Does that mean after tonight I'm officially in the taper zone? Or am I already tapering?

Either way, let's distract myself from the fact that there are tempo paced miles in my near future with some Halloween costume chatter!

I posted in the W&D thread but I finally decided to get a "real" costume for the MNSSHP on Halloween night. I had kiddo approval that Blue Town Belle was a good idea. I've wanted to dress up as her for some time now, but I hate hot, itchy, store costumes and didn't feel like buying a $200 one from Etsy. So I'm kinda disneybounding with an almost costume.
Bought this off Hot Topic. It looks like it'll be comfy. I plan to wear it with some black leggings or capri leggings or normal shorts depending on the temp that day. I'm tall so I don't pretend to think this will be appropriate sans pants underneath.
Two models...I'll probably look somewhere in between these gals. I appreciate websites that show stuff in multiple body types btw.
11088944_hi
11038493_hi

Let's hope it fits.
And because I had a $15 coupon and shipping was only $2....yeah I had to get the bow.
10880522_hi

It may not match exactly but close enough. We'll see how it looks in person. (plus it has a chip charm!)

roxykiddo approved my outfit. Hubby is now on the hunt for a Gaston inspired look. Because kiddo seems to like Gaston more than the Beast and demanded it. Eventually she'll wise up to who the better "catch" is but I think she just has a crush on gaston.
So far we've got this one (which may need to modified with tan cargo shorts...because Florida)

and this shirt from Spencers which I find hysterical
07477417-a

And although we tried talking kiddo into being Chip...she's had her heart set on Elena of Avalor. So I went full disneystore and got her all the accesories, etc. I have a FP+ at 5:20pm pre-party to meet Cindy and Elena so she's gonna be pretty pumped about that.
DSCostumeElenaJuneS16

And yes, I got her the sceptor wand. And also this crown.
51JbBhWwdmL._UX385_.jpg

and maybe also this mini jaguar, Skylar

so she can put it in this minnie treat bucket that was $8 with purchase

So yeah....I spoil my kid and I like to shop and I'm giddy about our trip. At least I waited until mostly everything was on sale and I had free shipping codes. All that was less than the deluxe dress by itself at full price...JUSTIFICATION!
Also my Belle dress was only $30 something after coupon. JUSTIFICATION!

Now is it October yet?

LOVE these! I so love MNSSHP - so fun! Can't wait to see Elena photos! That meet and greet is just the best - @mateojr dressed up as Mateo for it and both Elena and the photopass guy were super excited. (It was entirely pieced together at home and they recognized it immediately - yay!) So happy for you!

Love the costumes!!! That Belle dress is so cute! And Elena!! my 6 year old has aged out of Disney junior shows in the past few months and sometimes I put on Elena when she's in another room hoping she will want to come and watch. I really like that show!! Roxxykiddo is going to look gorgeous princess:

Yes, I agree that everyone should come visit Chicago and run on the lakefront with me. When should I pencil you all in?

I finished my "hard stuff" for training last night. Last time I want to see 6.2mph on the treadmill until after my HM. At least it feels easier than at the beginning of the plan, but there were moments I felt like giving up and then I'd get like a second wind. I really hope that happens out there when I do decide to crank it up. I cut my WU miles short (I did only one mile) because otherwise I would have been in bed past 11pm instead of just before it.

Question for Taper buddies...Is today too soon to start weather stalking? Because EEP look at this forecast for coming days.
9/16 83 degrees F
9/17 84
9/18 82
9/19 78
9/20 80
9/21 85
9/22 86!
9/23 89!!!
9/24 79

Omg FALL where are you???????

Lots of things:

A) Love the costumes! I also did the Disney Store thing for my daughter - she's going to be Anna from Frozen and she looks SO CUTE in the outfit. I got her the $8 bucket, too (except I got the Mickey one for her).

B) I definitely think that once your last "hard" run (tempo or long) is done, you're in taper, even if you have a normal EA/EB left for the week!

C) Legit checked the weather for Parks as far out as I could. Good news though: It changed a lot between when I first started checking and race day.

The costumes are awesome! I love them. You guys will look fantastic.

Welcome to taper time (and the madness that ensues)

Yes, it's too early to check weather, but I would be doing the same thing. :D

Yes, I agree that everyone should come visit Chicago and run on the lakefront with me. When should I pencil you all in?

I finished my "hard stuff" for training last night. Last time I want to see 6.2mph on the treadmill until after my HM. At least it feels easier than at the beginning of the plan, but there were moments I felt like giving up and then I'd get like a second wind. I really hope that happens out there when I do decide to crank it up. I cut my WU miles short (I did only one mile) because otherwise I would have been in bed past 11pm instead of just before it.

Question for Taper buddies...Is today too soon to start weather stalking? Because EEP look at this forecast for coming days.
9/16 83 degrees F
9/17 84
9/18 82
9/19 78
9/20 80
9/21 85
9/22 86!
9/23 89!!!
9/24 79

Omg FALL where are you???????

Hang in there - almost there!! And boo for humidity! What is this? I spent all of my run today irritated by the weather and seriously hoping that this gets better for all of us in the coming weeks. Fingers crossed!!! Not too soon for weather stalking. I'm stalking 10/1 already.

OMG! I love the MNSSHP dress, it's perfect! (And I love that you got the bow too).

I would say maybe not long pants and boots for Gaston in Florida in October/November. Definitely go with something more comfortable. I kinda like the funny Spencers shirt.

Also .... I love that you went full Elena outfit plus accessories for roxykiddo. It really is the best way to do MNSSHP. Also, the Disney Store is addictive.

Also ... it's never too early to check weather. Just be aware that it will drive you crazy.

Don't have time for a full update just yet. But looking forward to a week of very short easy runs.
I'm going to leave this right here though. Sunday is gonna be hot. And sunny. And not cloudy. And ooooph!

9/24 DAY
87°HIRealFeel® 92°Precipitation 20%

Very warm with more sun than clouds
  • Winds from the
  • SE 8 mph
  • Gusts: 15 mph

• Max UV Index: 11 (Extreme)
  • Thunderstorms: 9%
  • Precipitation: 0 in
  • Rain: 0 in
  • Snow: 0 in
  • Ice: 0 in
  • Hours of Precipitation: 0 hrs
  • Hours of Rain: 0 hrs
giphy.gif

Well at least there won't be icy conditions? Don't you just love all things summer?
giphy.gif

(please note that this gif was titled "Let it Goat")

So bib assignments come out today and corral placement. Literally can't remember submitting proof of time since I signed up at an expo but hubby thinks I did and he's a smart cookie so I hope he's right.

Let's hope that it changes to something cooler than T+D = face melting.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
UGH, that's not such nice weather, but maybe things will cool a bit in the forecast before Sunday. I'll send my best cooling thoughts up to the north for you!

57cbb13e20b9afae6bfeb7e111acd332.jpg

UGH, that's not such nice weather, but maybe things will cool a bit in the forecast before Sunday. I'll send my best cooling thoughts up to the north for you!

57cbb13e20b9afae6bfeb7e111acd332.jpg

Thank you! Our air conditioner broke this weekend (don't worry, all fixed up by Sunday afternoon) so I was cursing the weather. I appreciate all cooling thoughts for sure!

I am so glad you included this tidbit. Seriously!

Also, here's your mantra for the race: "Some goals are worth melting for."

Haha, well said! Although if I melt hopefully my hubby will be along with a bucket to scoop me up and carry me to the finish line. I'd hate for someone to slip and fall in a roxypuddle.

This made me laugh- great point!

Hopefully the early morning temperatures will be cooler? What time does the race start again? A lot can change between now and then... hopefully it changes for the cooler!

Race starts at 7am. Sun rises at 6:40am. I'd imagine I'm not gonna be as close to the front of the corral system as Tink since there are exponentially more speedies at this race and more dudes than Tink. Looks like it'll be at 69/70 degrees for a good chunk of my run and then climbing...better to run quicker to get it over with sooner before it gets hotter. I just hope my body does what my mind wants it too. I'm not real good at pushing myself the hotter I get. I kind of "power off" when I'm too hot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter