Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

Corral update!
I am in K out of N. Hubby is in L. We had estimates roughly identical. So we are near the back but not the total back. Fortunately the event guide says "The first runners (Corral “A”) will start at 7:00 a.m. The final Half Marathon runners (Corral “N”) will cross the Start Line by 7:15 a.m." Music to my ears. I really was not looking forward to standing around forever in the corrals.
It's the same 16 mm as disney so at least I know we can crush that no problem even if we are having a bad day.
They have pacers but I now am doubting the ones I'd be interested in will be anywhere near me. Thinking there was A LOT of people in the 2:20-2:30 range if we are both far back in the seeding. Just a guess. Last year over 2000 people finished slower than 2:30 so we are gonna be okay.

I'm getting increasingly more nervous so that's about right for the Monday of race week. I can't stop texting @roxyhubby about the race so I am guessing he's gonna tune me out any second now :)

So looks like the T+D will be 131-141 (at the moment). So look at the chart below for a T+D pace adjustment:

Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 5.51.25 PM.png

So, based on your training, I'd say to stick around a 9:53-10:00 min/mile to start. Then proceed based on how you feel. But no need to reach for that 9:39 pace that you trained at based on the conditions. If you're still feeling good around mile 8-9, then feel free to pick up the pace. This slower start should help you beat the heat. Thoughts?

So looks like the T+D will be 131-141 (at the moment). So look at the chart below for a T+D pace adjustment:

View attachment 270551

So, based on your training, I'd say to stick around a 9:53-10:00 min/mile to start. Then proceed based on how you feel. But no need to reach for that 9:39 pace that you trained at based on the conditions. If you're still feeling good around mile 8-9, then feel free to pick up the pace. This slower start should help you beat the heat. Thoughts?

8.5 miles is about where the turnaround on the long out and back portion is and 8 is usually where I take my second gel so I'd say it's a good visual and mental place to start pushing my way home (if it falls into place.) I had a hard time pushing during my last half but I also had really really tired park legs. I feel like I'm going to really try hard to take it very easy (lots of sitting around) this week when I'm not doing my training runs, that is. And I've already been extra paying attention to hydrating and eating ok. My head sweats visor came in the mail and fits great. Going tank and shorts for the race. Just whatever can help me beat the heat at least a lil.

@michigandergirl thanks for the vote of confidence! And I will remember to body glide. I usually just do my toes and upper arms (where my armband is) but I'm thinking now may be the time to test new places to use it.

I got my new headsweats visor in the mail last night and it fits really comfortably and is so much cooler than my old pink hat (RIP pink hat...you'll never be forgotten.) I will test drive it tonight on my easy run. Speaking of my runs!

So I my last long run wasn't all that long (yay for short training runs on the schedule finally!), so why did I feel so stiff and tired after it?...probably because it was like 10pm when I got home from the gym. Let's just say I was avoiding the heat and the sun. Maybe I shoulda gone out there when it was hot for acclimation training?
@roxyhubby did his 10 miler Sunday morning and I was impressed with his time. He hit a "wall" at mile 7 and we texted each other to get through it. His initial miles we BLAZING (faster than I had on my previous LR) and then he slowed down at the end. I think if we just turn that pace structure upside down he'll be able to have a good outing on Sunday. His goal is 2:30 which I think with the right pacing he can do for sure. I'm gonna take the same "no below tempo paces or even tempo paces out the gate" approach.

Ok so this week I only have easy runs!!!
4.5 miles EB w/strides
3.5 mi EA
2 mi EB w/strides (can we call this my shakeout run? I like the sound of saying "Hey, I'm going on my shakeout") ALSO EXPO DAY SAT IS AT SOLDIER FIELD. This excited me more than the Bear's season.
13.1 mi @ a goal pace...so I guess let's talk goals...

Disclaimer: The weather may play a major role in these below. I'm not going to kill myself to reach a certain number if it means I may hurt myself. But I'm being as optomistic as I can that it'll not be as bad as I think it will be.
Goal A) Run a half marathon without stopping (I consider walking at water tables as not stopping). This race is basically my way of getting a HM on my list of accomplishments as one I ran without character or photo stops like at Tink. Just to say I did it!
Goal B) PR! Which would be a 2:27:24 or better
Goal C) "Moving time PR" based on my garmin data for my Tink half it said my moving time was 2:16. So a 2:15:59 would be my not totally accurate non-photostop PR time.
Goal D) I'm gonna let @DopeyBadger PM me at some point prior to the race to let me know what he thinks I could do if all things go right and I'll just kind of leave that as my reach goal and keep it super secret so as not to freak myself out too bad.

And the ultimate goal...a HUGE HUG from a sweaty @roxyhubby who will be crossing his first HM finish line and we'll cheers with some beer at the free Lagunitas tent.

Edited to add: the Real Feel temp just bumped up to 96 (blech) which I realize is for later in the day. So I'm gonna just pray for that to turnaround....please!

That's a great ultimate goal! I'll be cheering for you from just a little bit north! I feel the same about Lakefront and the marathon distance. I do love runDisney events, but am really looking forward to running on my own streets and completing the distance at "home."

That temp looks unpleasant but st least you will be running at the best time of day to mitigate. I’ll let you know my target time for you after the run so as to not put pressure on you!

Definitely manage pace st the start, finding the right pace might be tricky as race day will always give you a boost. And I always walk through drink stations, this will be even more important to keep hydrated given the temps.

Good luck to both you and @roxyhubby !!!

Good luck on your easier runs this week. I'm sure you and @roxyhubby will crush the half!

I also can't wait to hear about the superpowers the visor gives you.

That's a great ultimate goal! I'll be cheering for you from just a little bit north! I feel the same about Lakefront and the marathon distance. I do love runDisney events, but am really looking forward to running on my own streets and completing the distance at "home."

I'll take some cheers from any direction, so thank you! Only few more weeks until I can send some cheers to you from all the way down South (which is a funny thing to say about Chicago.)

That temp looks unpleasant but st least you will be running at the best time of day to mitigate. I’ll let you know my target time for you after the run so as to not put pressure on you!

Definitely manage pace st the start, finding the right pace might be tricky as race day will always give you a boost. And I always walk through drink stations, this will be even more important to keep hydrated given the temps.

Good luck to both you and @roxyhubby !!!

Yes, as much as I dislike waking up so early for races, I do appreciate that they happen at the coolest part of the day. I look forward to hearing about your target time guess for me after it's all said and done. I've got one kind of lurking in the back of my head but I've just never ran this far in this weather so we shall see!!!

Good luck on your easier runs this week. I'm sure you and @roxyhubby will crush the half!

I also can't wait to hear about the superpowers the visor gives you.

I'm kinda hoping that the visor creates a disco ball effect if the sun hits me right. That happens with my sparkle skirts now and again and it's kind of a fun distraction (though I do not plan on rocking a skirt this time.) @Ariel484 & @CheapRunnerMike Do you ever get disco-ball glitter shadows on the ground or people in front of you when you wear your sparkle visors in the sun???

And now an update from Taper Town:
Last night when going to get out of bed to turn the lights off for the evening, my calf muscles in my right leg seized up (like a giant ball of ouch) and my husband said "toes to the ceiling, toes to the ceiling" which worked to relax it. Is that what a charley horse is? I didn't like it. And it hasn't happened since. Grumble mumble. All I did was easy miles on the treadmill this week so not sure why that happened.
I've also had a phantom sore throat, a phantom nose cold, and a phantom lady cramps (none of which I think were really happening.) Sooooooooo.....is it sunday yet?

I'm kinda hoping that the visor creates a disco ball effect if the sun hits me right. That happens with my sparkle skirts now and again and it's kind of a fun distraction (though I do not plan on rocking a skirt this time.) @Ariel484 & @CheapRunnerMike Do you ever get disco-ball glitter shadows on the ground or people in front of you when you wear your sparkle visors in the sun???
Yep! not a bad thing, we can all use a little more disco in our lives, right??

Yep! not a bad thing, we can all use a little more disco in our lives, right??

giphy.gif

Well that would explain why it's always a party where I'm running! Just remember...

1w7qr0.jpg

And yes I just quoted a Housewife :duck:

Well that would explain why it's always a party where I'm running! Just remember...

1w7qr0.jpg

And yes I just quoted a Housewife :duck:

Bwahahahaha! I feel the same way about pixie dust. Don't get caught up in my dust storm if you don't want to fly!!
Too bad I didn't have time to buy this shirt.
Tee-Clothing-Fashion-Women-Crew-Neck-Short-Sleeve-I-Eat-Glitter-For-Breakfast-Funny-font-b.jpg

Boo for this weekend's weather. :( Just received a message this morning regarding the race I'm running with our oldest on Sunday:

It is going to be warm on Sunday so we are moving all the start times up one hour.

Boo for this weekend's weather. :( Just received a message this morning regarding the race I'm running with our oldest on Sunday:

It is going to be warm on Sunday so we are moving all the start times up one hour.

OOOPH...how early is that gonna be and how long is your distance?
It's 91 degrees outside right now, but I wouldn't know because I'm hiding in the air conditioning. I'm thinking if I do any outside training runs this week my easy pace may be a bit slower than normal. Even the gym was hot.

Much luck and maybe bring a change of clothes or towels for after if you sweat anything like I do!

I'm just going to quietly leave this here. You know. Food for thought for 2019.

wdwmm46756736.jpg

I can't let @FFigawi do all the work.

I didn't realize they released the 2018 medals yet. Gotta go take a look. That Dopey is much better than any they've had before (because bling on bling!)
I managed to get two Mine Train Fastpasses and pre-park BOG breakfast to try for another Mine train ride for kiddo. Do I get a "dopey" medal for that???? How about a sneezy?

OOOPH...how early is that gonna be and how long is your distance?
It's 91 degrees outside right now, but I wouldn't know because I'm hiding in the air conditioning. I'm thinking if I do any outside training runs this week my easy pace may be a bit slower than normal. Even the gym was hot.

Much luck and maybe bring a change of clothes or towels for after if you sweat anything like I do!

10K for purpose of updating 18-year-old son's POT for the WDW half marathon in January. He doesn't run except for races, but he can usually run a 10K in under an hour. Otherwise, we'll stick with his half marathon POT from either the princess half or avengers half last year. Hopefully, the 7:30am start time will help! I ran outside today - yuck! I usually don't sweat a ton, but today was awful - worse than summer. Ugh. At least we can both slow down if necessary. The 18-year-old . . . not so sure what he will do.

10K for purpose of updating 18-year-old son's POT for the WDW half marathon in January. He doesn't run except for races, but he can usually run a 10K in under an hour. Otherwise, we'll stick with his half marathon POT from either the princess half or avengers half last year. Hopefully, the 7:30am start time will help! I ran outside today - yuck! I usually don't sweat a ton, but today was awful - worse than summer. Ugh. At least we can both slow down if necessary. The 18-year-old . . . not so sure what he will do.

Tell him that I want to be like him and run 10ks in under an hour!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!