Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

Ummm you look pretty good in those pics for being at the end of a marathon!

giphy.gif

Speaking of flawless...THAT CAKE :faint:

And yes you will run another marathon. They are weirdly addicting :eek: ;)

Nothing wrong with a sandwich break!

giphy.gif

I was hoping I got here late enough to not have to hang on this cliff. But here I am....

giphy.gif

OH GOSH, that GIF took a year off my life!

Really loving your recap so far! And so proud of you, btw! :)

Thank you Thank you

giphy.gif

YAY for you! Loved the recap and I'm so excited for you. You are a freaking rockstar!!

And that bruised toenail? Likely means it'll be going buh-bye soon. But I did see a sign while running Chicago that said, "All Toenails go to Heaven". So, there's always that. :D

Congratulations again, Marathoner!!

The toenail is hanging on! Toenail countdown clock? Football squares for day I lose it?
I feel like this may make me more of a runner than even the marathon finish. It actually looks not too gross, but it feels like a B!

I loved every second (mile... step...) of your recap. I am so incredibly happy for and proud of you!! You are not only physically strong, but so mentally tough too! Congratulations again!!

Thanks! It would be hard to be mentally tough if I wasn't physically prepared. Marathons are no joke. Mad respect to all marathoners (excited to read about yours!!!!!)

Ah-May-Zing!!!!! You should be so proud! I was crying and laughing at the same time. It brought back a ton of emotions from January! Congrats, Marathoner! You did it!!!!

Funny how running and reading about running can be so emotional! Happy to join your 26.2 club!

The walk to Q was INSANE. I thought I would never make it. Congrats on finishing your first marathon. It won't be your last.

And seriously a dancing dragon in Chinatown. Makes sense and i missed it. My brain was little foggy and all i could do was follow the blue line.

The dragon I saw was yellow. So either you were way more focused than me or I was hallucinating!
Hey, Know what's better than Q?

BQ!!!!
giphy.gif

Literally me at my desk at work:
giphy.gif

CONGRATS on an amazing race! On hitting your goal. On your AWESOME husband for being there every step of the way. On you never giving up. So insanely proud of you.

giphy.gif

I feel like roxyhubby needed a medal for his planes, trains, and automobiles to find me so many places. Boy was tired at the end of the day too!

View attachment 357852

Fantastic recap. Job well done on the marathon too! :thumbsup2

You did so well. As soon as I saw you finished I started making my way to the reunion area and I was like, no way she wants to walk all the way to Q. I don't even want to walk to Q. :tiptoe: I'd say we were equally wrecked by that point in the day. Congrats marathoner!

Literally could not have done it without you. Sure, I had tired legs and feet but without my plan to stick to all summer and your race strategy I could have been real roadkill. I know I could have probably gone slower in the beginning but I have no regrets. Congrats multi-marathoner!

I'm just glad neither one of you had to pull that rickshaw like the Seinfeld episode.

Great job on your race. With my first marathon coming up, I really appreciated reading your thoughts as you got further and further in the race. Very inspiring and helpful at the same time.

The mantra that helped my attitude was "I can't believe I've already run this far!" I tried to stay away from thoughts of "omg how many more miles to go?" Keep boosting yourself up about how good you are doing even if you start slowing. My two cents.

Last edited:
Ummm you look pretty good in those pics for being at the end of a marathon!

giphy.gif

Speaking of flawless...THAT CAKE :faint:

And yes you will run another marathon. They are weirdly addicting :eek: ;)

You should have seen me fast forwarded about two hours when I was hobbling around like a cowboy pirate and grimacing everytime I tried to sit down or stand up!

THE CAKE WAS SO GOOD!

Congratulations again!!! Loved your recap, and like @TeeterTots, it brought back fond memories of the January marathon. :)

Looking forward to what’s up next! Proud of you!!!

Thank you so much! The what next involves some swimming lessons, some bike workouts and deciding how much pain I want @DopeyBadger to inflict on me if I try to start shedding time off 5ks????

The mantra that helped my attitude was "I can't believe I've already run this far!" I tried to stay away from thoughts of "omg how many more miles to go?" Keep boosting yourself up about how good you are doing even if you start slowing. My two cents.
I love that and really appreciate it. I figure it will take me 6 to 6 1/2 hours to run a marathon without photo stops, so my goal is to finish. I'll take all 7 hours if I need them. I just want to finish. Since I know it will take some time, I need all the various mental tricks I can find to use.

You should have seen me fast forwarded about two hours when I was hobbling around like a cowboy pirate and grimacing everytime I tried to sit down or stand up!
I hope that every time you grimaced you remembered how great it felt to finish.

Wow what an awesome recap and rave you had! Loved the photo of you right at the end with the look of elation on your face. It really is an indescribable feeling when you cross the line, I get a bit emotional too and sit right on the line between laughing and crying.

I managed to follow you for the last few 5k splits on the marathon wen site and was impressed with your pacing consistency. I reckon you nailed the pace for the race well. I have no doubt you will do another one!

And well done to roxyhubby for the a grade support (not to mention his impressive gift buying skills!)

This is such an amazing recap!

I’ve seriously got tears in my eyes. And this insanely inspired feeling that I could maybe do this one day.

Thanks for sharing your journey! I just know your Mom was looking down and cheering you on every step of the way. And your daughter will always know she’s got a rockstar Mom!

pretty sure a marathon is 42k,
Ahem...42 POINT TWO!

You did awesome gurl...great race and a HM PR to boot, wow! RoxyHubby might be the star of the day though, he nailed it! And that cake? Amazing.

Oh yeah, you may or may not have made my eyes sweat reading this...

And high fives to the peed twice at the Chicago Marathon club! As long as you washed your hands...if not them fist bump to the peepee pants club.

That might be one of the nicest marathon magnets I've seen, love the Chicago colours.

Said it before and I'll say it again...so proud of you!!!!

You did amazing! Reading the recap made me feel like I was right there with you running this thing. Including the tears at the end. I'm so proud of you - you killed it!

giant virtual hug (and a cup of coffee) to you. Hope you are having/had a good running day today.

Loved every word of your recap and congratulations MARATHONER!! Makes me want to go sign up for my next race. :cheer2:

Does that make me an influencer!?Enabling people is my second favorite hobby after running. :)

Ahmayzing job! Teared up several times :sad:

I hope they were mostly happy tears. Virtual hugs to you too :)

Wow what an awesome recap and rave you had! Loved the photo of you right at the end with the look of elation on your face. It really is an indescribable feeling when you cross the line, I get a bit emotional too and sit right on the line between laughing and crying.

I managed to follow you for the last few 5k splits on the marathon wen site and was impressed with your pacing consistency. I reckon you nailed the pace for the race well. I have no doubt you will do another one!

And well done to roxyhubby for the a grade support (not to mention his impressive gift buying skills!)

I know you meant to say race and not rave but now I'm imagining this...
IMG_4690.JPG

Roxyhubby really did an amazing job trekking all over the place. I know he was exhausted and knew he was trying not to tell me that he was.

So basically this:

Bwahahaha. That guy looking at the stairs was so me!

You are awesome! Great recap! Congrats on becoming a marathoner! It is such an emotional experience.

Thanks man! It really was!

Awesome recap! Awesome race! Awesome hubby! Awesome coach! Awesome cake! Congratulations marathoner!!!

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Awesome Awesome!!!

This is such an amazing recap!

I’ve seriously got tears in my eyes. And this insanely inspired feeling that I could maybe do this one day.

Thanks for sharing your journey! I just know your Mom was looking down and cheering you on every step of the way. And your daughter will always know she’s got a rockstar Mom!

You can do it! It takes a ton of dedication and some level of insanity, but it is worth it.

Ahem...42 POINT TWO!

You did awesome gurl...great race and a HM PR to boot, wow! RoxyHubby might be the star of the day though, he nailed it! And that cake? Amazing.

Oh yeah, you may or may not have made my eyes sweat reading this...

And high fives to the peed twice at the Chicago Marathon club! As long as you washed your hands...if not them fist bump to the peepee pants club.

That might be one of the nicest marathon magnets I've seen, love the Chicago colours.

Said it before and I'll say it again...so proud of you!!!!

I like that term...sweating eyes...gonna use that next time I have a finish line breakdown.

Of course I didn't wash my hands...who had time for that! But I did grab some sanitizer so I could look like a frenzied raccoon rubbing my hands and adjusting my shorts. #beauty

The magnet was a freebie by my charity too!

PS the point two was taken care of by my added sparkle power

Way to go!! Congratulations! So exciting and running a marathon is an amazing journey isn't it? It is crazy to me how things can change from one mile to the next and how your mind can mess with you even though your body just keeps going.

I'm past mile 20...only 6.2 miles left! I can do this. No walk breaks, no walk breaks. But maybe a sandwich break.

I believe you earned an 'eat an entire (Gino's East?) pizza' break. Congrats on the race, but I am more impressed with the training it took to get to the race.

Congrats @roxymama …….you did it!!! All your hard work and training paid off.

Thank you for sharing your experience and pictures. Suspenseful and delightful and there was cake at the end!!

Were you glad that you ended up running for a charity instead of getting in through the lottery? Was the fundraising hard to do?

Way to go!! Congratulations! So exciting and running a marathon is an amazing journey isn't it? It is crazy to me how things can change from one mile to the next and how your mind can mess with you even though your body just keeps going.

That's so true! And you kind of also embrace that it's not gonna be easy at some point. It's also weird how some miles flew by and others felt like they'd never end.

I believe you earned an 'eat an entire (Gino's East?) pizza' break. Congrats on the race, but I am more impressed with the training it took to get to the race.

We had Barracos pizza on Friday. I didn't finish a whole pizza myself though. #pizzafail

Congrats @roxymama …….you did it!!! All your hard work and training paid off.

Thank you for sharing your experience and pictures. Suspenseful and delightful and there was cake at the end!!

Were you glad that you ended up running for a charity instead of getting in through the lottery? Was the fundraising hard to do?

I was glad I did the charity spot but it was hard for me to ask for help so I didn't do much pushing or asking. I was mentally prepared to cover as much of the cost as was needed. Was so happy the contributions were making a difference and bringing self esteem and confidence and fitness to young girls. If I run again in Chicago I will likely not go the full charity spot route because that's a lot to ask of people close to me, but I will donate again on my own to other runners for GOTR. I'd like to continue to participate with the local 5ks or eventually be an assistant coach once life allows.

Great job! Running a marathon is no joke and you crushed it!!

I think my least favorite part of using the potty mid race is that my pants never feel right again. Sure I lost some time... but why can't these pants just stop feeling so weird and uncomfortable?

Omg right!!!! Fun fact I bought a pair of $17 shorts on Amazon because I wanted to test out a kind with two side pockets but I didn't want to spend too much on a test. And I liked them and they became my marathon shorts!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!