Royal Caribbean bringing back upscale dining!

I don't think that a no shorts and no tank tops policy is asking too much for a dress code.
There already is a no tank top policy. Well, at least for men. Women can wear tank tops that are called something else. And many times their exposed arms/pits in those "not tank tops" is just as bad (and disgusting) as a man. As for shorts, unless you see me come in or leave, you have no clue if I'm wearing shorts, slacks, kilt, PJs, boxers, etc. So what difference does it make what someone else has on?

Is it so hard to pack long pants? Same answer for both questions - no.

I've never found the temperature in the dining rooms to be 90 degrees, or 99% humidity.

Ok, you bring pants and I'll bring shorts. But unless you wear pants all day, then you have to pack 2 outfits. Shorts for what 95% of people wear when they are in the Bahamas, Caribbean, etc. Then pants for dinner. So, that's 7 of each, at least. Multiply that over a family of 4 or more and you are talking at least an extra suitcase. All because someone gets so upset over what another person is wearing? You don't like wearing shorts, so you feel everyone should comply to what you like. But my experience is most people prefer to wear shorts all day. And it doesn't matter what the temp in the dining room is. I explore a hot/humid place all day. Then I have to change in a ridiculously hot room because the A/C is not very good. By the time I get to the dining room, I'm sweating bullets and it takes at least half an hour to acclimate. By then, I've sweated so much that I really feel I should leave. In shorts, that doesn't happen. Because you are ventilated. But, I should wear pants so I can sweat the whole dinner? I know, I shouldn't be allowed in the dining room because it upsets people who are more concerned what someone else is wearing?

I am on the side of I like wearing something nicer for dinner. I generally wear capri pants with a nice blouse or top and a skirt for Palo, but with that being said, I could not tell you what the tables around me were wearing.

There already is a no tank top policy. Well, at least for men. Women can wear tank tops that are called something else. And many times their exposed arms/pits in those "not tank tops" is just as bad (and disgusting) as a man. As for shorts, unless you see me come in or leave, you have no clue if I'm wearing shorts, slacks, kilt, PJs, boxers, etc. So what difference does it make what someone else has on?

Ok, you bring pants and I'll bring shorts. But unless you wear pants all day, then you have to pack 2 outfits. Shorts for what 95% of people wear when they are in the Bahamas, Caribbean, etc. Then pants for dinner. So, that's 7 of each, at least. Multiply that over a family of 4 or more and you are talking at least an extra suitcase. All because someone gets so upset over what another person is wearing? You don't like wearing shorts, so you feel everyone should comply to what you like. But my experience is most people prefer to wear shorts all day. And it doesn't matter what the temp in the dining room is. I explore a hot/humid place all day. Then I have to change in a ridiculously hot room because the A/C is not very good. By the time I get to the dining room, I'm sweating bullets and it takes at least half an hour to acclimate. By then, I've sweated so much that I really feel I should leave. In shorts, that doesn't happen. Because you are ventilated. But, I should wear pants so I can sweat the whole dinner? I know, I shouldn't be allowed in the dining room because it upsets people who are more concerned what someone else is wearing?
It is kind of difficult to explain right, but I will give it a go. I personally don’t care about what you wear as an individual. What I care about is an overall level of my dining experience. That is why dress codes are important. They set the tone for the experience. Any experience really. Dress codes at work set the overall professional atmosphere. Dress codes at school set the overall learning experience. In the main dining rooms, I see nothing wrong with setting a certain expectation of dress since it really does effect the overall atmosphere in the room.

If you want to dine at an upscale restaurant go to Palo or Remy every night, you have to remember you're among 2500-4000 other people who's daily practices for dress and dining will vary widely from what your's probably is. If it truly makes you uncomfortable to dine with people who are wearing nice shorts and shirts, or a casual frock, then maybe Disney Cruises isn't for you. I get that other lines like Cunard and Viking offer a more adult and refined atmosphere for their guests, that's why they book cruises with them. But you shouldn't expect to project that same expectation on a family oriented experience where many children are present and "dressing" up (not in costumes) isn't a regular daily thing for them. Putting that expectation on them would lessen their enjoyment and reduce their "magical" experience over all. Sure if you want to dress up by all means do so, but just because you do, it shouldn't be expected everyone else will follow suit. I know for myself I'm very comfortable wearing shorts and a nice shirt to dinner, I'm from Southern California and that's actually considered common and "casual" which is what the dress format that DCL has specified for the majority of their guests.

It is kind of difficult to explain right, but I will give it a go. I personally don’t care about what you wear as an individual. What I care about is an overall level of my dining experience. That is why dress codes are important.
The phrasing sounds a little weird. I think what you're saying is that you're not judging people based on what they wear on a day-to-day basis, but if a dress code is being enforced your expectation is that people should abide by it?

If you want to dine at an upscale restaurant go to Palo or Remy every night, you have to remember you're among 2500-4000 other people who's daily practices for dress and dining will vary widely from what your's probably is. If it truly makes you uncomfortable to dine with people who are wearing nice shorts and shirts, or a casual frock, then maybe Disney Cruises isn't for you.
The thread is actually about Royal, although I assume OP posted here because a dress code thread probably deserves more traffic than it would get in the Royal Caribbean forum.

I suspect the real issue here isn't nice khaki shorts or sleeveless blouses but people that push the limits and show up to the dining rooms in their ratty beach attire. My husband likes to wear a polo and nice shorts with loafers or sandals. He gets too warm wearing long pants. I normally pack sundresses or Bermuda shorts with a casual top.

We have our first trip on RCL next year so I don't know the current state of the dining rooms. It's an Alaskan cruise so maybe he will be comfortable in long pants.

I like dressing up (casual and formal) in the dining rooms.
I think nice shorts and a shirt (polo, etc) should be fine.
I don't like to see tank tops or worn out or ripped clothes.

But you shouldn't expect to project that same expectation on a family oriented experience where many children are present and "dressing" up (not in costumes) isn't a regular daily thing for them. Putting that expectation on them would lessen their enjoyment and reduce their "magical" experience over all. Sure if you want to dress up by all means do so, but just because you do, it shouldn't be expected everyone else will follow suit.

The fact dressing up isn't a regular thing for children doesn't mean it will make the experience miserable for them. They dress up at Christmas and Easter too. Most kids associate it with something special happening. And they should. Treating an expensive cruise like a regular day seems like a waste.

I know for myself I'm very comfortable wearing shorts and a nice shirt to dinner, I'm from Southern California and that's actually considered common and "casual" which is what the dress format that DCL has specified for the majority of their guests.

Royal Caribbean has always had a stricter dress code for the MDRs at dinner than Disney. Which is what the OP is referring to.

Um, are you a really messy eater? Why can't you wear the same pair of pants for 2 hours a day (max) more than once?

If you want to dine at an upscale restaurant go to Palo or Remy every night, you have to remember you're among 2500-4000 other people who's daily practices for dress and dining will vary widely from what your's probably is. If it truly makes you uncomfortable to dine with people who are wearing nice shorts and shirts, or a casual frock, then maybe Disney Cruises isn't for you. I get that other lines like Cunard and Viking offer a more adult and refined atmosphere for their guests, that's why they book cruises with them. But you shouldn't expect to project that same expectation on a family oriented experience where many children are present and "dressing" up (not in costumes) isn't a regular daily thing for them. Putting that expectation on them would lessen their enjoyment and reduce their "magical" experience over all. Sure if you want to dress up by all means do so, but just because you do, it shouldn't be expected everyone else will follow suit. I know for myself I'm very comfortable wearing shorts and a nice shirt to dinner, I'm from Southern California and that's actually considered common and "casual" which is what the dress format that DCL has specified for the majority of their guests.
This is a Royal Caribbean thread, not DCL!
Denise

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts