Royal handles food allergies...

KashasMom

DIS Veteran
I read this on another forum and wanted to share in case anyone had any concerns:

We were on the Royal Caribbean (Mariner) sailing and I wanted to share our experience in hopes that it will help those first time cruisers that suffer from food allergies.

My daughter is anaphylactic to eggs, milk, and has Celiac Disease (no gluten, wheat, oats, barley, or rye). I was was SO nervous about her food options. I packed every possible prepackaged snack that I could think off (cereal, popcorn, cookies, chips, bread, peanut butter). We did NOT have to dig into our stash at all.

Although our reservation was noted 60 days prior, I could not get an answer about what her options would be. Those that sailed in the past kept telling me “Royal will accommodate”.

I am here to say that they did more than accommodate, they went above and beyond. My daughter also suffers from anxiety and is used to being able to read the labels and advocate for herself (she just turned 13 yesterday).

We met several head chefs 2-3 times a day who took the time to meet with us and plan her meals accordingly. It did not matter if we ate in MDR or the Windjammer. We missed lunch on day 2 due to an activity that ran over, they made her a meal and room service delivered it free of charge!

They brought her food packages so that she could feel confident and not worry about the possibility of a mistake. She was beyond spoiled. I thought she would have to eat cereal for breakfast 4 days in a row but they made her pancakes, French toast with caramelized banana, bacon from scratch (not taken off the buffet), sausage, fresh fruits, oven roasted breakfast potatoes.

I even packed peanut butter and her bread thinking there would be no options for lunch. Well, she ate like a queen. They prepared her chicken tacos on corn tortillas, gluten free fries, hamburger with a dairy/egg and gluten free bun, pasta with sauce, hot dogs.

Dinners were amazing as well. She had chicken parmigiana (cheese-less) with gluten free spaghetti/noodles, homemade sauce, roasted chicken, baked potatoes, garlic bread, NY strip, salad with balsamic vinaigrette and more.

Being that she is a kid, I did not want her to feel left out when it came to desserts. Our 11 year old son can eat anything and there were definitely a million sweets for him to try. The chefs came up with amazing dairy, egg, gluten free sweets for her, she was SO thrilled!

They prepared a chocolate pudding with bananas (made from sesame, peanuts and some sort of bean) she licked the bowl (picture below to prove it)! They made coconut gelato, strawberry mouse, lemon tart, blueberry cobbler.

On Coco Cay everyone was enjoying ice cream, cookies and brownies. It was super hot and I was hoping she could enjoy something refreshing besides water. One of the chefs had soy milk delivered from the ship and they added strawberry purée, so she could enjoy a refreshing milkshake!

I am beyond impressed with the accommodations. I have to give kudos to Savio (head waiter) in the main dining room, Tamil, Kay, Tameka and Arrazu (all chefs throughout the ship).

Thank you - We are on Mariner in Dec on our first RC cruise with peanut, tree nut, egg and other allergies.

My niece is vegan and she was completely spoiled by the staff on Explorer. The chef made her special desserts. She was moved to tears.

Just to contrast this... Be very vigilant for yourselves or your children. The servers are not always knowledgable - including the head servers. I had a head server on Jewel tell me and the mother of a child with celiac at the table next to us that "Faro is fine because it's not really wheat." NO it is not fine, and if we had not been knowledgable about it the servers might have convinced us to try that dish.

My first experience being gluten-free on Brilliance was excellent, but with menu changes, things seemed to have slipped a lot in the 2 years between. I'm not saying they cannot be amazing - but you have to be ready to advocate for your needs.

My niece is vegan and she was completely spoiled by the staff on Explorer. The chef made her special desserts. She was moved to tears.

I love that! I'm cruising DCL soon with a vegan (and a vegetarian) and I've been so stressing about what they'll have for him. My vegetarian had a really tough time previously on DCL.

Just to contrast this... Be very vigilant for yourselves or your children. The servers are not always knowledgable - including the head servers. I had a head server on Jewel tell me and the mother of a child with celiac at the table next to us that "Faro is fine because it's not really wheat." NO it is not fine, and if we had not been knowledgable about it the servers might have convinced us to try that dish.

My first experience being gluten-free on Brilliance was excellent, but with menu changes, things seemed to have slipped a lot in the 2 years between. I'm not saying they cannot be amazing - but you have to be ready to advocate for your needs.
I second and third this. I have a dairy allergy and ordered a caramel macchiato made with almond milk from the Starbucks on the Anthem a few days in a row last spring. As it turns out, they made it with whole milk and put a pitcher of almond milk on the side. The second time, they made the main coffee part with almond milk and then proceeded to finish it with whole milk for the foam topping. If I had not been extremely vigilant and I had an actual anaphylactic allergy, I shudder to think what might have happened.

We sailed on Symphony of the Seas with a severe tree nut allergy and had no issues whatsoever.

You have to self-advocate and check and double check every time, everywhere. Our experiences at Disney World taught me that. We had a server at Ohana bring me regular bread when I was gluten-free (he did not realize his mistake for 10 minutes, during which time I had decided not to try the bread since it didn't look any different from the gluten bread everyone else had), and another time (also at Ohana) we were brought someone else's allergy meal, which was NOT safe for my child who has food allergies. So you have to be careful everywhere, every time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter