RPR vs Polynesian

fab1976

DIS Veteran
For our upcoming trip we are staying at the Polynesian at Disney as DVC members for the first time. We are starting our vacation with 2 nights at Universal, also for our first time! I think we will be staying at the RPR but the theme seems very similar to the Polynesian? Are they different enough to feel different or will we be experiencing 9 nights in the “South Pacific” theme?

I think you've made two great choices!! Sounds like a fabulous plan to me!

We've stayed at many WDW resorts over the years, but we continue to revisit Poly the most. It was the resort we stayed at for our DD's first visit at 2, and is our choice again for her 20th bday in Oct.

At Universal, we tend to alternate between RPR and HR. Love both of them!

I think that even though both resorts are South Pacific themed, they are different.
Poly is divided into the separate longhouses, and the Great Ceremonial house (with shops, bars, restaurants, etc) is separate too. We haven't been to the pool at Poly since it's revamp, so I cannot comment on that. Poly buildings are dark brown and gives a great ambience at night while walking the tiki lit paths.
RPR is divided into 3 towers, but all under the same roof. As are all the amenities of the resort. The towers kind of curve around the pool area, and it feels very secluded. The Bula Bar has staff that brings food and drink directly to your lounge chair. Love that!!
The grounds of RPR and Poly are both very lush and support the tropical vibe!

You can’t go wrong with RPR. Beautiful Resort with very nice amenities. Lovely, kind staff. Great pool. Lots of nice food offerings. Unlimited Express included in your stay and boat transportation from your resort to CityWalk.

Go have a great time at Universal and RPR pixiedust:

Last edited:
Hi, we stayed at the Poly in 2017 (DVC room) and at RPR in 2013.

All in all you can not really compare both resorts, but I'd say the Poly was a little more relaxed and laid back. It feels less "hotel" and more authentic. But I liked the pool area at RPR more. It is more spread out and there were many lounge chairs available during the days we were at the pool.

DVC rooms at Poly are quite large, I think they are the largest standard rooms on property. Rooms at RPR are large enough for my taste, we did not feel cramped. They had a renovation of their rooms at RPR a while ago, have not stayed there since then, but pictures I have seen show a very welcoming design.

We really enjoyed both resorts. Express Pass at RPR is a big bonus

They are different enough where it won't feel redundant. IMO, RPR is more of an Asian theme whereas Poly is more true South Pacific/Hawaiian-esque theme. The theme at RPR is only evident in a few areas for me, and the rest is pretty subdued and barely noticeable. The Poly's theme carries throughout the resort and transports you to the South Pacific culture a little more. Both are great resorts!

Thanks everyone! I think I was just amused to have chosen the one hotel closest to the theme of our home resort at Disney! Sounds like they are more like distant cousins than siblings so to speak :)

Totally different experiences. RPR has more of a hotel feel where Poly feels like more of a resort. Although the Poly is usually 2 or 3 times as much as RPR, I think RPR is kept in better shape. Clean windows, better housekeeping, better service. I love the Poly for its feel, restaurants and large rooms, but maintenance issues have come up on us in the past.

I would call them siblings personally. My first thought the first time we stayed at RPR was, "wow, they really ripped off Poly's theme.'. But they are different.

I think the lobby of RPR comes across as more upscale than Poly (ironic, given their relative costs). The rooms to me are very comparable, though different looking and RPRs are somewhat smaller. I think the grounds at Poly are nicer but the pool area at RPR (including the bar) is nicer. A lot of that is probably personal taste.

We enjoy both of them. We've stayed at RPR each time we've gone to Uni. I would love to stay at Poly each time we go to Disney but other than the time we got a really good discount it's been too spendy to justify.

To me, Royal Pacific feels more upscale and Poly feels more laid back. I personally prefers hotels at Universal to Disney. I think Loew’s hotels have more professional staff. The pool area is nicer too. They provide nice towels for the lounge chairs. Poolside service. Awesome pool bar/restaurant.

For our upcoming trip we are staying at the Polynesian at Disney as DVC members for the first time. We are starting our vacation with 2 nights at Universal, also for our first time! I think we will be staying at the RPR but the theme seems very similar to the Polynesian? Are they different enough to feel different or will we be experiencing 9 nights in the “South Pacific” theme?

Two totally different resorts both have their charms. You will not feel as though you are doing a repeat by any means.

My take:

The Poly is more immersive and lively. I get more of a Hawaii type kitschy vibe there. Trader Sams is a draw unto itself, along with Ohana. Their luau is top notch. All this draws non-resort guests, there will be many mulling about. The volcano pool is small, very popular with especially with the kiddos. The other pool is very quiet and relaxing. However, there is something very special bout being in the volcano pool and watching the MK FW! PS Tokelau is a great choice for DVC as to being close to everything. We had a standard studio and had bit of lagoon view. Loved the two bathrooms too. Will be there next month, booked a resort room at a great rate - WOOT!

RPH tends to be our home base when @ Universal as it’s generally the least expensive offering with Fotl perk. Before the series of room rennovations, it had lovely carved Balinese invoking woodwork in the rooms. That is the vibe I get in the hotel. There often are large conventions there you may need to work around as to dining at the resort, especially since the one restaurant is still closed but citiwalk has many close, fun alternatives. Far easier that trekking to DTD area. There is an interesting backstory of Jake, a traveler in the 40’s that is reflected throughout the resort’s design & theming. The reflecting pool is lovely at night, well, when the smokers aren’t there. The orchid lounge is nice, great sushi. Pool is larger but also gets crowded and noisy.

You will find yourself when at WDW after U, missing the FOTL perk, which makes for an entirely different approach to the parks. It surely gives you much more time to enjoy the resort. I tend to advise people to do WDW first, then U to avoid an unfavorable comparison lol. You also are permitted to poolhop to the other resorts for a change of pace.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Two totally different resorts both have their charms. You will not feel as though you are doing a repeat by any means.

My take:

The Poly is more immersive and lively. I get more of a Hawaii type kitschy vibe there. Trader Sams is a draw unto itself, along with Ohana. Their luau is top notch. All this draws non-resort guests, there will be many mulling about. The volcano pool is small, very popular with especially with the kiddos. The other pool is very quiet and relaxing. However, there is something very special bout being in the volcano pool and watching the MK FW! PS Tokelau is a great choice for DVC as to being close to everything. We had a standard studio and had bit of lagoon view. Loved the two bathrooms too. Will be there next month, booked a resort room at a great rate - WOOT!

RPH tends to be our home base when @ Universal as it’s generally the least expensive offering with Fotl perk. Before the series of room rennovations, it had lovely carved Balinese invoking woodwork in the rooms. That is the vibe I get in the hotel. There often are large conventions there you may need to work around as to dining at the resort, especially since the one restaurant is still closed but citiwalk has many close, fun alternatives. Far easier that trekking to DTD area. There is an interesting backstory of Jake, a traveler in the 40’s that is reflected throughout the resort’s design & theming. The reflecting pool is lovely at night, well, when the smokers aren’t there. The orchid lounge is nice, great sushi. Pool is larger but also gets crowded and noisy.

You will find yourself when at WDW after U, missing the FOTL perk, which makes for an entirely different approach to the parks. It surely gives you much more time to enjoy the resort. I tend to advise people to do WDW first, then U to avoid an unfavorable comparison lol. You also are permitted to poolhop to the other resorts for a change of pace.

Enjoy!

We shelled out the extra points for lake view for our first stay there, but next trip we will just book a standard. Will be keeping Tokelau in mind for our next trip!

I had Disney booked first, universal second, but changed my mind and switched it. We are always so tired and done after a week at Disney, I don’t think we would be up for Universal at the end. I want to give Universal our energy and enthusiasm. We have been to Disney enough to not have to see it and do it all, and know we will be back again in the future. Really think this is the right fit for our family, hoping I’m not wrong!

We've stayed at both - both are very much the South Pacific feel but I when I think about my trip to RPR I think Modern Day Luxury South Pacific. Poly is a bit more old school themed. So, more 1960 Luxury themed. I say that thinking in present day, our luxury requirements are different.

Both resorts are wonderfu and have much to do and see. If you like the tropical theme, then you'll love both resorts.

We have stayed at both is the past during the same trip, both at club level and found them to be distinct experiences. Food offerings were better at US along with them room accommodations. The theming was better at Disney, but the ability to walk to the park from RPR was a big plus.

We have stayed at both. I feel the Polynesian has a more tropical feel than RPR. Both are wonderful resorts, just different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!