RSR FP x 2

Cal-Pie

DIS Veteran
I need advice on how best to do RSR twice in one day with Maxpass. We will be there for ropedrop, but are not necessarily interested in ropedrop combat, so I don't think we want to try and ride once standby. But, I'm worried about pulling RSR and then not being able to take advantage of nearly instant return times for other rides during the early morning hours. I would like our second RSR ride to be after dark. We will be in DCA only that day, taking an afternoon break, 8am opening on 3/11. Advice please?

Then you should be fine - you can book fast passes through max pass during your afternoon break - you do not have to be physically in the park to do this.

Then you should be fine - you can book fast passes through max pass during your afternoon break - you do not have to be physically in the park to do this.
Yeah, we plan on that. I just didn't know if we book the 1st one right at opening if it would put us the full 90 minutes out before we could pull another.

Yeah, we plan on that. I just didn't know if we book the 1st one right at opening if it would put us the full 90 minutes out before we could pull another.

Start checking the app about a week or two before your trip to see what the return times are for RSR FPs at opening. You'll be able to get an average on the return times and gauge your decision on that.

Assuming you get in the park at 8 and you get your RSR FP for like 830 or something. The moment you check in for it you can rebook it. Usually but not always that early when you check in the 2nd one wont be further than 930 or 10am.

We went for a solid 10 days in oct and that was usually the case

You’re right to be concerned about this, honestly. Which park is open early that day? If it’s DL with MM, it’s entirely possible that RSR return times will be after 9:30 by the time you enter the park and can book yours - on MM days, the return time can hit as late as 11:00am before the park even opens! DCA early entry days are a bit better.

Also, if it’s a crowded day, you may need to book that 2nd RSR before noon, meaning that you could spend your whole Maxpass morning on those two RSR FPs (perhaps with another 1-2 in between, depending on timing). So keep that in mind. If rope-dropping or using single rider is an option for one of your two rides, that would free up your Maxpass life quite a bit!

Start checking the app about a week or two before your trip to see what the return times are for RSR FPs at opening. You'll be able to get an average on the return times and gauge your decision on that.

Definitely do this - obviously things may be different on your days in park, but it is a great way to get familiar with the app and have a sense for what to expect for specific FPs. skyegirl did an incredible write up on MP in general, and some takeaways I had were that it is totally doable to get RSR FP twice in a day, even if you don't do RSR as your first FP - since you get book next FP as soon as you scan in, you can go with some of the others initially as long as you grab RSR within the first hour or so of park opening. And then grab a 2nd RSR when you scan in for your first RSR. If RSR isn't nighttime returns yet, you can always grab it and then cancel when times you want start popping, but there is definitely a second rush on RSR once evening timeslots show up, as many people have heard how awesome it is to right at night.

You’re right to be concerned about this, honestly. Which park is open early that day? If it’s DL with MM, it’s entirely possible that RSR return times will be after 9:30 by the time you enter the park and can book yours - on MM days, the return time can hit as late as 11:00am before the park even opens! DCA early entry days are a bit better.

Also, if it’s a crowded day, you may need to book that 2nd RSR before noon, meaning that you could spend your whole Maxpass morning on those two RSR FPs (perhaps with another 1-2 in between, depending on timing). So keep that in mind. If rope-dropping or using single rider is an option for one of your two rides, that would free up your Maxpass life quite a bit!
Thank you for this, it's really helpful. It will be an EE day (which we won't have), which I thought would actually hurt me, but what you said about it being worse if DL has MM makes total sense. I've been trying to watch FP return times, but all the rainy days lately are making things non typical, I'm afraid. 3/11 is a Monday and also the first week of long spring break hours which is making it hard to compare current return times. I watched this morning, 40 minutes into EE (which started at 8am) return times were already 12:30-1:30. I wish I could talk my youngest into single rider, but I don't think that will fly with her.

Thank you for this, it's really helpful. It will be an EE day (which we won't have), which I thought would actually hurt me, but what you said about it being worse if DL has MM makes total sense. I've been trying to watch FP return times, but all the rainy days lately are making things non typical, I'm afraid. 3/11 is a Monday and also the first week of long spring break hours which is making it hard to compare current return times. I watched this morning, 40 minutes into EE (which started at 8am) return times were already 12:30-1:30. I wish I could talk my youngest into single rider, but I don't think that will fly with her.
RSR has been running out faster and faster and faster. I just looked at it’s at 7:30-8:00, so it’s about to run out for the day!

From May-December, I had tracked and documented FP return times on over 25 days (varied seasons, days of the week, etc.) and RSR was generally running out sometime between 12-4, often between 2-4. So far in 2019, it’s pretty consistently running out by noon on days I’ve checked. Some of that’s because of shorter hours, but that’s not the whole story...

So, anyway, you definitely can ride it twice with Maxpass; however, I would expect that you’d tie up your Maxpass usage most of the morning to make that happen.

RSR has been running out faster and faster and faster. I just looked at it’s at 7:30-8:00, so it’s about to run out for the day!

From May-December, I had tracked and documented FP return times on over 25 days (varied seasons, days of the week, etc.) and RSR was generally running out sometime between 12-4, often between 2-4. So far in 2019, it’s pretty consistently running out by noon on days I’ve checked. Some of that’s because of shorter hours, but that’s not the whole story...

So, anyway, you definitely can ride it twice with Maxpass; however, I would expect that you’d tie up your Maxpass usage most of the morning to make that happen.
So strange...I have to wonder what's causing them to run out so much sooner. Thank you for your expert opinion. I think we'll either try to ride 1st, then get a maxpass for PM, or just bag the early ride all together. I just don't want to tie up my whole morning.

You can get FPs for other rides in the morning if you do it judiciously - i.e., make sure that your return window or 90-minute wait period will end before 10:30 or so to ensure eligibility for RSR after dark but before it runs out.

This page by Casey of Disneyland Daily has some great information that may be helpful to you: https://disneylanddaily.com/how-to-start-your-day-at-california-adventure/

She outlines a general "big kids" plan with how best to utilize maxpass. If you poke around her website and her facebook page you'll also find more strategies and other helpful info.
I love Casey, I've followed her for years and I've even had a chance to chat with her at ropedrop. I think her DCA plan needs a bit of an update though, recent reports have been that you need a room key to enter Soarin during EE. I wanted to try that, but it's looking like a no go.

I love Casey, I've followed her for years and I've even had a chance to chat with her at ropedrop. I think her DCA plan needs a bit of an update though, recent reports have been that you need a room key to enter Soarin during EE. I wanted to try that, but it's looking like a no go.

That wasn't the case for me back in November. We were able to walk over to Soarin and ride it without being asked to see a room key.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter