Rude Rude Rude

I try and give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes your POV on a situation plays a big factor. For instance someone running in to you may have just been bad timing on your part when checking your phone, etc. You may have thought some one rudely knocked in to you when you probably shouldn't have stopped in the middle of a pathway. I think it's best that everyone just be hyper aware of what you're doing in any crowded area and be considerate of others around you.

Here are my tips, keep in mind I am a bigger guy:

I see them coming and will knock them down without stopping. Does that make me one of them?

I have a patent pending for a 'cow catcher' style device for wheel chairs to protect the person in the chair.

Nowhere on WDW weapon policy does it ban a two foot section of 2"x3" taped to your forearms.

"excuse me" does not translate well into Portuguese, however "MOVE" does.

the more money it costs to experience Disney, the greater the expectation....when you save up for a couple of years and take that big family vacation for such a high price, you expect excellence, and your also more apt to behave poorly when it doesn't live up to your expectations

the more money it costs to experience Disney, the greater the expectation....when you save up for a couple of years and take that big family vacation for such a high price, you expect excellence, and your also more apt to behave poorly when it doesn't live up to your expectations
By that definition Victoria and Alberts should be a Chuck E Cheese.

Disney makes a smartphone app and I have no problem when people use it but on the other hand it would be nice if its not on the sidewalk on main street. My biggest *** moment with rude people is when there is a stage show or fireworks and someone puts an ipad over their head right in front of you.

Waahahahahahaahaahahaha get off my lawn you damn kids!

Is the entire thread...

Actually I think there has been some valid discussion of the shifting of societal mindsets and the resulting behavior patterns in response to a changing world and the roll that over stimulation plays in the affect and demeanor of people, especially in crowded places like the Disney parks.

I think its rather flippant to call everyone who tried to have this conversation and express their views whiner or an old curmudgeon and it ignores and discounts the actual observable effects and shifts that have been noted by modern sociologists and psychologists.

But then again, you are pretty new here. You may not be here for actual discussion. Some people really enjoy stirring the pot :stir:.

Used to work in the centre of Edinburgh during festival time.

Start of festival "excuse me...excuse me...EXCUSE ME!"

End of festival "MOVE!!!!!!"

Second approach always got a better response as hardly any of the tourist ever parted to let you through if locals were racing to get a bus or train home. Shouting move and dunting them out the way was often the ONLY way to get past.

Do hate those folk who stop dead in front of you then get angry when you bump into the back of them - like I've developed telepathy skills I never knew existed?! Move to the side and then consult your phone / kid etc. My car may have sensors for lane decipline / parking but if you don't have indicators or brake lights, don't expect me to have the former lol!

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it already, but the Baader-Meinhof effect most definitely comes in to play... in addition to all of the other points regarding heat, exhaustion etc...

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/inside-the-mind/human-brain/baader-meinhof-phenomenon.htm

As a aside, I am a firm believer that Disney, given its environment, customers desires to squeeze every ounce of value from their experience etc... acts as a amplifier to already underlying issues with relationships. I don't particularly think Disney is culpable nor does it 'create' said problems, but it will amplify existing ones. I joke with my wife, Disney World is the happiest place on earth, but its also the grave yard for many a relationship! lol

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it already, but the Baader-Meinhof effect most definitely comes in to play... in addition to all of the other points regarding heat, exhaustion etc...

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/inside-the-mind/human-brain/baader-meinhof-phenomenon.htm

As a aside, I am a firm believer that Disney, given its environment, customers desires to squeeze every ounce of value from their experience etc... acts as a amplifier to already underlying issues with relationships. I don't particularly think Disney is culpable nor does it 'create' said problems, but it will amplify existing ones. I joke with my wife, Disney World is the happiest place on earth, but its also the grave yard for many a relationship! lol

well, technically Disneyland is the Happiest Place on Earth ... Walt Disney World is the Most Magical Place on Earth - and the magic is - look how fast your blood pressure magically increases!

I agree with others, it's not a Disney problem it's a societal problem. I can see everything described here just by visiting the grocery store. The way I combat the problem is by speaking up. However, I choose my battles. As much as it annoys me when people stop in front of me, I realize most of those people simply lack social awareness. In those instances I say nothing.

But when someone is blocking the aisle with their cart, or standing in a large group blocking the aisle, I simply say "Excuse me." I am always surprised by the amount of people who will just go another way, or stand there and wait for them to move without saying a word. One day I came into a blocked aisle at the grocery and there were literally three people standing there with their carts politely waiting for the person blocking the aisle to move. I call B.S. on that!
Use your voice!

Despite what we have been conditioned to believe, it's not rude to correct rude behavior. The rude ones aren't used to being called out on their behavior, so it persists. Like I said, I choose my battles. I'm not looking for a confrontation, but if it's obvious someone is just being an ******, I speak up. Sometimes they aren't being an ******, they lack self awareness. If that's the impression I get I still speak up, but approach it differently. I am especially this way when people cut me in line. I assume it's an oversight and politely say "Excuse me, I was next." I am not a confrontational or aggressive person. I am direct and assertive.

I recently read an article about how teachers tend to think that the kids in their class get worse over time. There was a study that looked into this and concluded that it was not the students' behavior that was changing; it was the teachers' patience level the longer they taught. In other words, the same bad behavior that was viewed as a minor nuisance early in a teacher's career was viewed as evidence that kids these days are truly awful by the end of the same teacher's career. I tend to think that's true for most of us. It's not that others are getting worse. It's that we get less patient with other people the longer we are alive.

For what it's worth, I saw all of the bad behavior described here when I was in the College Program 15 years ago. My view is that there's always been a small percentage of guests who have no concern for other guests -- and there always will be.

I am 27 and just got back, and while I had an amazing trip, I was starting to get worried I was prematurely becoming one of those cranky men who doesn't like anything to do with crowds.

I live most of my life in Philadelphia and am 6'2. Therefore I am used to masses of people and being able to navigate them without giving it a second thought. However, I cannot tell you how many times I was slammed into by strollers or how much difficulty my mother (5'2) had navigating crowds.

This seems to be an issue both in and out of Disney, but I think the volume of crowds in Disney, as well as the anticipation causes people to be substantially more aggressive.

For me personally, I am also almost never around children except when in Disney, therefore the crowd has a somewhat different dynamic for me.

Last week an older teen or young adult rushed into a FastPass line in front of the couple ahead of us, pushing aside the couple in front of us. Then a few minutes later two people in their 40s pushed in front of the same couple. They complained and the people said, "This is my son, this is the fifth time today we have been yelled at by someone."

Note it was only 11:00 a.m. And this was just to Spaceship Earth, not a rope drop scenario, bathroom trip or anything like that. I stayed out of it but felt like telling the lady that maybe if she had already been yelled at by 5 different people then maybe she is doing something wrong.

We only had one bad moment last year at the Christmas Party. Someone backed up into our stroller and gave me a look lol other that that, I have never had anyone rude or pushy at my many times at the resort. Maybe because I'm too happy to worry about what everyone else is doing :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!