Rumor: Disney Vacation Club Raising Sold-Out Resort Prices

Looks like RIV direct sales must be hurting as DVC just increased the discounts:

https://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-p...-dvc-seeks-to-boost-sales-with-deep-discounts

You know the saying in business. “If you’re not growing, you’re dying.” Sales need to increase month after month. Anything less than that is viewed as a failure in today’s business world. These incentives are good, but I still got better ones when purchased RIV in March which makes me happy. :)

Yep, we still got better when we purchased too (April). Effective price was somewhere around $166 pp.

I think until the resort opens the only thing that you can rely on in terms of sales of Riv are the actual sales numbers. Personally I think if sales were really bad they would rather have slow sales then show even the slightest appearance of panic.

I think until the resort opens the only thing that you can rely on in terms of sales of Riv are the actual sales numbers. Personally I think if sales were really bad they would rather have slow sales then show even the slightest appearance of panic.
I agree that the numbers are the numbers and everything else is just conjecture. Much like ROFR, we can infer what we think is happening but nobody truly knows. For all we know they have a road map for pricing structures that included offering a discount leading up to opening day.

Disney has a lot of room to play with on the pricing. Starting price for RIV is roughly 30% higher than that of VGF which opened six years ago. I'm not sure prices of labor and materials increased by that much over that time frame.

You know the saying in business. “If you’re not growing, you’re dying.” Sales need to increase month after month. Anything less than that is viewed as a failure in today’s business world. These incentives are good, but I still got better ones when purchased RIV in March which makes me happy. :)

Yeah - the early incentives are usually the best. We'll know they're concerned if the they match those original incentives.

The real question is why would anyone who already owns and has the perks ever buy direct? That part I do find a bit confusing, the savings are indeed massive in resale (and the gap continues to grow).
Because some people do not know about the resale market. I have a friend who has over 1000 points at various resorts, all direct. When we sat down and talked he had know idea. Then I mentioned TIW, again his eyes lit up. The next trip he went on he picked up TIW and the first 2 meals paid for the card for him. They like expensive wine.
Some people are lucky enough that they dont always need to look at the best price, they buy want they want because they can.

Because some people do not know about the resale market. I have a friend who has over 1000 points at various resorts, all direct. When we sat down and talked he had know idea. Then I mentioned TIW, again his eyes lit up. The next trip he went on he picked up TIW and the first 2 meals paid for the card for him. They like expensive wine.
Some people are lucky enough that they dont always need to look at the best price, they buy want they want because they can.
Yeah I still think in general those with insane amounts still do analysis and don't just throw it away but I get it. I have a business and I do work/business with a lot of people who have huge successful business and they crunch numbers more than those with far less means.

this is better than what I got in May by about $2 or $3 per point. I wonder if they'll give me anything...

Yeah I still think in general those with insane amounts still do analysis and don't just throw it away but I get it. I have a business and I do work/business with a lot of people who have huge successful business and they crunch numbers more than those with far less means.

I agree, the resale market can be so much cheaper, I pretty much will never buy direct.

But I see the flip side in hunting for a contract, waiting for ROFR, waiting for the seller to get papers signed, etc... buying resale requires some planning (especially if booking windows are an issue) and if the contract is blanked for a UY you potentially could be waiting 1-2 years before enjoying the purchase.

But me personally it’s not that difficult and I have many options I use when I travel.

But I’m also on the west coast and already own every DVC property west of the Mississippi, so my perspective is different. I’ve only ever been to Florida once in my life !

I always seem to be a day late and a dollar short in life. My DVC contracts are the exception! 😅 phew!

I think that too, but when I look at when VGC was released, I was still a broke graduate student who would hang out in the GCH lobby with my wife (just got married) because we couldn’t afford to stay there :(

VGC was my third "big" post-residency purchase...after a house and new car to replace my old junker.

My FIL asks me why i don't buy a watch to celebrate milestones...i said id rather buy another DVC contract!

I have only one resort direct from Disney. I looked into resale and I think the barrier has been how unknown and inaccessible resale has seemed, especially since I’m from Canada.

I think that too, but when I look at when VGC was released, I was still a broke graduate student who would hang out in the GCH lobby with my wife (just got married) because we couldn’t afford to stay there :(

VGC was my third "big" post-residency purchase...after a house and new car to replace my old junker.

My FIL asks me why i don't buy a watch to celebrate milestones...i said id rather buy another DVC contract!

I couldn’t agree more. Some people buy their wives diamonds. I bought my wife an entire safari!!

[Of which she can stay at for a week once per year]

I have only one resort direct from Disney. I looked into resale and I think the barrier has been how unknown and inaccessible resale has seemed, especially since I’m from Canada.
I do agree buying direct is much easier than resale. However buying resale IMO is not difficult, the resale brokers will take you through the process and except for sending money all you need to do is sign some papers.

I would however say that there is one difficult part, thats the waiting time 8-) but the more contracts you buy the easier it gets. :-)

I do agree buying direct is much easier than resale. However buying resale IMO is not difficult, the resale brokers will take you through the process and except for sending money all you need to do is sign some papers.

I would however say that there is one difficult part, thats the waiting time 8-) but the more contracts you buy the easier it gets. :-)

oh man -- if you aren't already a member, waiting for that first resale contract to pass ROFR and then estoppel seems like an eternity. You're so anxious to get in and book that first trip, and in all likelihood, you're wanting to go well inside of the 11 month window.

oh man -- if you aren't already a member, waiting for that first resale contract to pass ROFR and then estoppel seems like an eternity. You're so anxious to get in and book that first trip, and in all likelihood, you're wanting to go well inside of the 11 month window.

Our first contract was a resale contract. We were on edge until it passed ROFR. Then we anxiously awaited closing. Then we anxiously awaited DVC processing the new membership. Going into the purchase, we knew that we would never get anything we wanted 5 months away from our regular travel time when this contract would close, so we planned on renting the banked and current year points as soon as they appeared in our new DVC account. Such is the result of buying resale. You never know when that "Cinderella" contract will show up for sale!

this is so very true...our first tiny little 50pt AUL contract on resale took an eternity, but my second 100pt VGC one was a breeze...and all because expectations were better managed (and I knew it would be functionally a year before I could use it, 7mo window + buying process combined).

I think it's hard just finding the right resale contract to begin with. You get the e-mails from the different companies that do resale but most of the time the contracts are already pending by the time you get the e-mail. I always found that very frustrating. I do think buying resale is more stressful all the way around but the amount of money you save makes it worth while in the long run. Good luck to anyone waiting on a resale, if it's meant to be it will be. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter