Rumor - Electrifying Tomorrowland Speedway (Tesla?)

Mikey15

DIS Veteran
I know there's been speculation and conjecture in other threads that it's time for Tomorrowland Speedway to get a little more "Tomorrow"-themed, so I thought I'd share this rumor:

https://justdisney.co/rumor-tesla-sponsorship-for-tomorrowland-speedway-imminent/
RUMOR: Tesla Sponsorship For Tomorrowland Speedway Imminent

Tesla and The Walt Disney Company are in close negotiations in creating a sponsorship opportunity that would see The Tomorrowland Speedway getting some much needed T.L.C.

Our sources inside the company are giving us whispers of Elon Musk meeting with top execs on how Tesla would truly put visitors behind the wheel of all electric vehicles. Tesla would sponsor the speedway and surrounding stadium and give guests the true vision of “driving in the future”.

The gasoline powered go-karts would be replaced with all electric versions with child friendly driving opportunities still available. We’re hearing that the vehicles are going to have a Tesla emblem on the front of each vehicle. It’s no secret that Disney continues to invest in renewable resources, they recently finished a large solar farm back in April 2019.

I hope there's some truth to it. With Tron construction well underway, it wouldn't be a bad thing to see its Tomorrowland neighbor get an update.

I know there's been speculation and conjecture in other threads that it's time for Tomorrowland Speedway to get a little more "Tomorrow"-themed, so I thought I'd share this rumor:

https://justdisney.co/rumor-tesla-sponsorship-for-tomorrowland-speedway-imminent/

I hope there's some truth to it. With Tron construction well underway, it wouldn't be a bad thing to see its Tomorrowland neighbor get an update.
We were discussing this in the news thread. From Tesla's point of view I highly doubt they have the cash flow to do this. But Musk is Musk and you never know.

I think it's unlikely - why wouldn't it have been done during the recent refurb? Still, I am all for it if they do this - 100%!

Yeah I don’t buy this at all. Tesla isn’t in a position to sponsor anything really. The source also is someone I’ve never really heard of.

I think it would be great to make the speedway electric and have more of a futuristic feel (basically how the Hong Kong Disneyland version was before they got rid of it

But would be a surprise for Tesla to pay for it given their cash flow position and how they really don't do advertising. So if it happens I think it would be more of a mutual deal or like Disney sponsoring something for Tesla in exchange - basically more for Disney to get some pub out of it than Tesla

I'd be surprised by it being Tesla too... but not impossible. They've never actually advertised on anything before, but that means they could just as readily choose a non-traditional sponsorship for when they do want to start advertising.

I'd be happy to see an electrification and refurbishment whether it's internal Disney Imagineering or outside-sponsored.

I would think it could be worked out without any actual cash going to Disney - perhaps just supplying the cars would be enough. Obviously that would cost Tesla $$ as well, but perhaps quite a bit less than a traditional sponsorship and could be built into some of their other capital expenditures.

I trust that website less than I trust Jim Hill and I don't trust anything he says at all.

I would be shocked if there was not a clause in the GM-Disney contract regarding Test Track that forbids Disney from entering into another contract with a competing auto manufacturer.

I would be shocked if there was not a clause in the GM-Disney contract regarding Test Track that forbids Disney from entering into another contract with a competing auto manufacturer.
Doubtful, considering that Disney currently has deals with multiple auto manufacturers.

Even if there isn't, we know Kodak had a big influence on squashing the Mt Fuji aspect of the Japan pavilion in the World Showcase. Not because it was going to be sponsored by Fuji Film, just because it shared the same name. And we all know how that worked out when Kodak blew it on digital photography, had money problems, didn't want to spend enough to make a decent Imagination pavilion, and the ride was shortened and gutted. We're still stuck with the shell of a once great pavilion.

You'd hope Disney would learn from this kind of thing, but I'm guessing if the choice came down to losing sponsorship of Test Track and getting electric cars for the Speedway, or keeping the sponsorship and continuing to stink and noise up the area, they'll take the money from GM and run...

I'm all for Tesla sponsoring it. They could also set up a kiosk where you could buy a Tesla as you leave the attraction, similar to Test Track. Other options could be Toyota or Honda, the world is slowing moving to electric cars.
I have hoped and wished something like this would happen, but I am not getting my hopes up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter