[rumor] The Next Disney Theme (Thrill) Park

Guest-expert

498 days visited since 2004
Anyone else heard about this? With Disney signing a contract with Stan Lee (creator of Spiderman and many other comic book characters), there is some talk about a Thrill park. The theme would be Villains....and the rides would be many costers and other sort of thrill rides. The land set aside for it would be west of epcot past world Drive....2015 timeframe.

With the current company-wide emphasis on families with young children I personally won't believe that they'd put in a villain park until it's official.

That would be cool as long as they carry their spectacular visual characteristics throughout the new park. I'd be a little concerned with a more thrill based park just because it doesn't seem that Disney focuses on thrill rides. I think it would present a great challenge (in a good way) and would attract more of a variety of park goers. I'll be interested to see if this is true.

Just my opinion, but I think they're going to have to do something sooner or later to offset the loss to Universal and the new Harry Potter theme park, when it opens.

Doesn't another company have rights to Stan Lee's stuff though?

I think a new park would be great. I'd be into villans but not a park made entirely of thrill rides.

PS - This really belongs on the rumours board, not here.

Personally I would be very dissapointed to see a thrill park based on non-original Disney characters...Harry Potter would have been cool, but it's not Disney. Let's bring it back to the classics and stop themeing EVERYTHING Pixar.

I googled it and come up this article from IGN (movies.ign.com)

Stan Lee, Disney Join Forces
New films based on POW! properties planned.
by IGN Staff
June 6, 2007 - Stan Lee and his POW! Entertainment have joined forces with Walt Disney Studios to develop new entertainment properties of all forms.

The companies announced the multi-year first look deal today that could potentially lead to feature films based original ideas developed by Lee and the POW! team.

Oren Aviv, president of Walt Disney Studios Motion Picture Production, said in statement, "Stan Lee is a living legend in the world of pop culture and his characters and stories have been the inspiration for some of Hollywood's biggest blockbusters. We're very excited to be working with him and his talented team in creating some incredible new motion picture experiences. Stan has so many fantastic new ideas for films, and we can't wait to get started."

POW! currently has around 20 new franchise characters in development including El Lobo, Chameleon, Thunder Rider, Whirlwind, Doubleman, Mightbird, and Blaze. Additionally, they have another 20 in early development, and 40 yet-to-be introduced. Needless to say, it could become a pretty substantial library to draw from.

"It's like the realization of a dream," said Lee. "Ever since I was a young boy, Disney represented the best and most exciting film fare to me. And now, many decades later, with movies such as their incredible Pirates of the Caribbean spectaculars, Disney is still at the forefront of family entertainment, excelling in live action, animation, TV, theme parks -- whatever it takes to bring fun and fantasy to audiences everywhere. I look forward with indescribable enthusiasm to being a part of that world and contributing whatever I can to keep the legend alive and growing."

--------------

Theres a ton of articles that look like that if you google "Stan Lee" + "Disney".. i didn't see anything specifically theme parks though

Well being that the rights were bought by disney....Uni. Studios will probably have to rename the Hulk ride. Maybe not. But it is also my contention that the Teen friendly Thrill Park that Univ. Studios is, will at some point get a disney competitor.

Doesn't another company have rights to Stan Lee's stuff though?

I think a new park would be great. I'd be into villans but not a park made entirely of thrill rides.

PS - This really belongs on the rumours board, not here.

I looked for a rumor board....I'm new here. But i didn't see it.

I would like to see a new park.. but don't care anything about thrill rides... and my little 6 yr old girl doesn't like the villians... I hope they come up with something good

Personally I would be very dissapointed to see a thrill park based on non-original Disney characters...Harry Potter would have been cool, but it's not Disney. Let's bring it back to the classics and stop themeing EVERYTHING Pixar.

Villians would be for disney Villains too....Can you image the Jafar Racing Coster? :cool1:

I would not be surprised to see 1 or 2 new rides based on a Stan Lee character or 2 but I highly doubt there would be a whole villian theme park.

I would love it if Disney built a ride like this one:

I found this link to a new innovative coaster idea on another Forum.
This is the kind of "out the box" thinking that Disney used to be known for.
I hope Disney will build a coster like this in the near future and that it will also be one first in our country.
I think it could have the WOW effect that Disney has not achived since ToT.

Here is the link:

http://www.cantileveredcoaster.com/AbouttheCRC.html

What do you think about the cantilevered coaster?

JMHO

Nah.

We already have a good rumor about Park #5.
;)

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1722399

02-15-2008, 05:13 AM * #1 palmbeachguy
Orlando-aholic Join Date: Mar 2003 Location: Wellington, FL Posts: 61

Well Jim Hill says he knows about the new Disney Park. It's going to be called Disney's Night Kingdom. Read more here:

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_h...e-the-disney-theme-park-going-experience.aspx

Looks like there will be a lot of people not going to Disney World's 5th Gate.

and another thread on 2-20-08

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1727726

Anyone else heard about this? With Disney signing a contract with Stan Lee (creator of Spiderman and many other comic book characters), there is some talk about a Thrill park. The theme would be Villains....and the rides would be many costers and other sort of thrill rides. The land set aside for it would be west of epcot past world Drive....2015 timeframe.
That rumor (a Disney Villians-themed thrill park) is several years old-- I've heard it ever since IoA opened. I believe if it were going to happen it would have by now.

Nah.

We already have a good rumor about Park #5.
;)

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1722399

02-15-2008, 05:13 AM * #1 palmbeachguy
Orlando-aholic Join Date: Mar 2003 Location: Wellington, FL Posts: 61

Well Jim Hill says he knows about the new Disney Park. It's going to be called Disney's Night Kingdom. Read more here:

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_h...e-the-disney-theme-park-going-experience.aspx

Looks like there will be a lot of people not going to Disney World's 5th Gate.

and another thread on 2-20-08

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1727726

The name might be correct....but that's nothing like what I heard....That sounds too far fetched to be real...Night vision goggles? :surfweb:

Just a guess, but I would think that Disney may be giving Bush Gardens a good looking at. I expect BG will be sold off due to the buy out of AB. I know AB was already thinking of selling the park before the buyout.

The name might be correct....but that's nothing like what I heard....That sounds too far fetched to be real...Night vision goggles? :surfweb:

wdw5copyjz6.jpg

There have been rumors of a Villains land and/or park for years now. There also was talk of Villain-themed Halloween parties for adults over at DHS. I honestly will not believe it until I set foot on Disney soil and see it for myself.

I absolutely love the idea of a Villains area, but am not too keen on the thrill ride idea. I mean, honestly, if this were true that means it is catering to the 20 something crowd. If this was the case, why would they close Pleasure Island, another area for this demographic?

Just a thought. :)

http://img364.imageshack.us/img364/2856/wdw5copyjz6.jpg

Wont need nearly that big of a parking lot if it indeed turns out how Jim Hill claims.

*NikkiBell* said:
There have been rumors of a Villains land and/or park for years now. There also was talk of Villain-themed Halloween parties for adults over at DHS. I honestly will not believe it until I set foot on Disney soil and see it for myself.

I absolutely love the idea of a Villains area, but am not too keen on the thrill ride idea. I mean, honestly, if this were true that means it is catering to the 20 something crowd. If this was the case, why would they close Pleasure Island, another area for this demographic?

Just a thought.

Not so much rumors, more like hopes over the years. It isn't that creative of an idea, its just what's left.

Thrill rides don't cater to just people in their 20's, don't know where you got that idea. Pre-teens ride The Hulk all the time over at IoA along with people from older age groups. Of course not everyone that goes to Magic Kingdom would want to ride The Hulk but it manages to still be a popular attraction at IoA. I live near Busch Gardens (Willamsburg, VA) and it isn't just teens/people in their 20s riding most of the coasters. I highly doubt Disney would make a ride near the intensity of the Hulk but maybe near Griffon/Sheikra thrill-wise (at the most). Griffon is the smoothest coaster i've ever been on and its more like Tower of Terror if anything because it sets you up to be really scared and turns out to be fairly mild. Another example of a mild "thrill" attraction would be Loch Ness Monster which has 2 inversions but is a lot less intense than even Rock n' Roller Coaster (which is very popular).

I doubt Disney would fill an entire park with coasters, it just isn't them. But I do think they need to step up against Universal a bit as if you ask most teens who have visited Orlando they'll tell you Universal/IoA are a lot better due to having a few more thrilling rides. Expedition Everest has helped this a bit but isn't enough of a push to visit WDW over Universal.

In my opinion the only ride that really sticks out at IoA is Spiderman. Busch Gardens Williamsburg tried to do something similar but Universal's effects blow it away completely. Toy Story Mania uses some of the similar technology but it isn't themed to be like them. I have to admit The Mummy at universal is a great ride as well for being somewhat unique. Disney could take a lot of the ride elements from these attractions and come out with something much better.

I'm not in that demographic but I'd LOVE an all thrill ride Disney park!:banana: The description of Disney's Night Kingdom does zilch for me!:sad2: but I'd certainly give it a try.

jon

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter