Rumors of Light (ROL discussion thread)

So here I am liking comments from last summer, lol! Just catching up...

Now I have a *new* ROL dilemma, so really my post is On Topic (but not really)...

I've had all kinds of Disney travel plans that have changed lately. My DD had a dance trip that was scheduled for November that we were going to extend. Six months in, it was changed - and now it's on it's 4th new date - which happens to be my birthday in January. No ROL then since it's a short trip with much dancing obligation. Really the only thing I'm planning there is how to escape dance people crowds.

So once the November trip was canceled and we weren't sure about a January dance trip, we toyed with April since I had upgraded to an AP on my sister trip last April, but we had already planned to do something different in April (national park?) since we thought we were going to Disney in November (we hadn't done a family vacation in a couple of years, so we were planning on doubling up). Any way, long story short (too late!), my husband took a tumble last week, blew out his knee, full recovery will take about 6 months, so now the January dance trip is just my DD and I, and April is now Disney, since we can adjust things fairly well in case he's not fully healed (as opposed to the unknowns of hiking mountains and such).

Phew! :offtopic: Am I making sense with all of my ramblings?

So back to my new dilemma...I have seen ROL, but family has not, but now there is Pandora with which to contend. Do I blow off ROL in April and focus on Pandora. Is ROL easy to see now without a FP or dinner package since people are enamored by Pandora, or have the Pandora crowds made ROL tougher because just more people there?

We skipped AK last trip and spontaneously decided to drop in Thurs pm after doing most what we wanted at MK. We went to AK about 4 pm, immediately got DS1 a DAS time for FOP (75 minutes). I had already booked 4th FP+ for Everest. We had a 10 minute wait for Safari, had a snack, went to EE and rode, immediately rolled 4th FP+ to Dinosaur, rode Dinosaur. Headed to Pandora and tried the frozen drink and pineapple snack (won't be getting either again) while we waited for DAS time. He rode FoP and LOVED it as much or more than before, trying to make it go faster. After it was 8:05, park closing at 8:30. NRJ showed 50 minutes on MDE but we walked over anyway and posted was 10 minutes but we walked right into the boat!

Pandora seemed less lit than I expected so I hoping it was hurricane damage. Our first time was AP Preview so most was not turned on ... I felt like this wasn't much more than that. Hoping it was lots of dysfunction. Daylight on arrival was a beautiful as ever.

BUT the plus of the night .............. he didn't ask to go see ROL. :banana:
Sound like the night worked out well. Yeh, I don’t think I’ll ever see ROL again. One and done for me. But I’ve heard a rumor they will replace the show in a few years. I guess we shall see.

I don’t think I posted here but we purchased a resale DVC contract at BRV! Closed 9/19. We are booked for June 2018!

We decided to skip ROL all together during our Halloween trip, even though we've never seen it. The choice was between spending our one AK evening centered around ROL, or enjoying the evening Safari, Pandora and the Tree of Life after dark, ROL came out a distant 2nd, especially with park closing at 8:00. Maybe someday when I've seen and done everything else a few times, we'll do ROL, but probably not in the near future.

It's so hard to relight that excitement over it that we all had a year and a half ago.... Oh well, time changes your perspective, I guess.
We spent our one AK evening around ROL (and a nighttime ride on EE for me) but we were supposed to head back for a second night at AK. Well the boys vetoed it for another night at MK so we missed a lot of night stuff. Next time, we will do as you did.

So here I am liking comments from last summer, lol! Just catching up...

Now I have a *new* ROL dilemma, so really my post is On Topic (but not really)...

I've had all kinds of Disney travel plans that have changed lately. My DD had a dance trip that was scheduled for November that we were going to extend. Six months in, it was changed - and now it's on it's 4th new date - which happens to be my birthday in January. No ROL then since it's a short trip with much dancing obligation. Really the only thing I'm planning there is how to escape dance people crowds.

So once the November trip was canceled and we weren't sure about a January dance trip, we toyed with April since I had upgraded to an AP on my sister trip last April, but we had already planned to do something different in April (national park?) since we thought we were going to Disney in November (we hadn't done a family vacation in a couple of years, so we were planning on doubling up). Any way, long story short (too late!), my husband took a tumble last week, blew out his knee, full recovery will take about 6 months, so now the January dance trip is just my DD and I, and April is now Disney, since we can adjust things fairly well in case he's not fully healed (as opposed to the unknowns of hiking mountains and such).

Phew! :offtopic: Am I making sense with all of my ramblings?

So back to my new dilemma...I have seen ROL, but family has not, but now there is Pandora with which to contend. Do I blow off ROL in April and focus on Pandora. Is ROL easy to see now without a FP or dinner package since people are enamored by Pandora, or have the Pandora crowds made ROL tougher because just more people there?
Sorry for your hubs’ knee but yay for Disney in April! Unfortunately I haven’t been since June so I can’t answer the questions. But we won’t be spending time on ROL again ever probably. There are too many other fun nighttime AK experiences, imho.

Sound like the night worked out well. Yeh, I don’t think I’ll ever see ROL again. One and done for me. But I’ve heard a rumor they will replace the show in a few years. I guess we shall see.

I don’t think I posted here but we purchased a resale DVC contract at BRV! Closed 9/19. We are booked for June 2018!

WOOT WOOT!! Congrats! I always swore no, but even I've been looking at the resales ............... :rotfl:

Hard to imagine when this all started how excited we were and now ..... 20 mos later .... looking forward to the replacement show.

Hey I took a photo ...

IMG_6188.JPG

Congratulations! That's so exciting! :banana:
And I'm with you on the other nighttime activities! Maybe we'll be too busy with that stuff...

The only rationale that makes sense as to why they left so much "unfinished" and shortened it etc was they had thrown in the towel with plans to remake the show in a few years ... using what they learned .... that they still couldn't do. Maybe for the 50th when all eyes are on WDW. I know it's MK's Birthday but it's also the entire resort's birthday.

The only rationale that makes sense as to why they left so much "unfinished" and shortened it etc was they had thrown in the towel with plans to remake the show in a few years ... using what they learned .... that they still couldn't do. Maybe for the 50th when all eyes are on WDW. I know it's MK's Birthday but it's also the entire resort's birthday.
Yeh I think I heard for the 50th.

WOOT WOOT!! Congrats! I always swore no, but even I've been looking at the resales ............... :rotfl:

Hard to imagine when this all started how excited we were and now ..... 20 mos later .... looking forward to the replacement show.

Hey I took a photo ...

View attachment 275524

May I ask how you got this picture? I haven't been to see ROL yet and probably won't put too much effort into it but THIS PIC IS COOL!! do they leave the floats out somewhere in the day time to take pictures or was this just a fluke? Thanks!

Don't you laugh .... I've looked! or tried.

P17138547.jpg

img63457721.jpg

elephant.jpg

tt-lampe-tiffany-dieren-poezen-chats-1187-1.jpg

AND HEY WHY NOT .... Tree of Life

tree.jpg
That would be an awesome idea!! Wonder why Disney has not caught on to that one!! I would buy one lol!!

So it's having technical issues and it's an ongoing thing???? Priceless, the finale now looks like lost power.

https://twitter.com/Blog_Mickey/status/920803121411981312

May I ask how you got this picture? I haven't been to see ROL yet and probably won't put too much effort into it but THIS PIC IS COOL!! do they leave the floats out somewhere in the day time to take pictures or was this just a fluke? Thanks!

Yes they were sitting out under the bridge between Everest and Nemo. Sometimes you will see random ones on the river in random places just off the big lagoon. I think the boats are parked out there alot and they are a nice picture.

So it's having technical issues and it's an ongoing thing???? Priceless, the finale now looks like lost power.

https://twitter.com/Blog_Mickey/status/920803121411981312

Yes they were sitting out under the bridge between Everest and Nemo. Sometimes you will see random ones on the river in random places just off the big lagoon. I think the boats are parked out there alot and they are a nice picture.
:rotfl:Thanks! I need a little lounge respite!

Is it possible to get a seat for this without getting the ROL Dining Package?

I don't know at this point. When we went to a second show, the Standby was only 1/3 full. I think it will depend on if it's a one or two show night, and if it's a time of year they are every night instead of less frequent. You can try to get a FP+ for it, I don't know how fast they go as I don't try for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter