Run Disney credit card hacked

onetoescape

Mouseketeer
This is has happened to us as well but we are booked to go to Star Wars Race Weekend next month. Exactly as it has said below 3 netflix charges and then trying big amounts. We also just recently did some dining reservations with the same card as well so might be that. Its also on the RunDisneyRun Facebook group. Our card got cancelled at the bank and we are from the UK so it is international

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2018/03/02/disney-princess-half-marathon-credit-card-fraud/

Crazy! Hopefully Disney IS looking into it and taking it more seriously than the flippant comment quoted in the article.

I don't see Disney's comment as flippant when you read this sentence from the article:

"Drass and Katelin have not filed an official complaint, though they plan to."

These people thought it was more important to contact their local news and not Disney. Additionally, Disney only hawks credit cards. The appropriate party to investigate is Chase.

As someone who works in the banking industry and has been to these types of events, I would say Disney doesn't have much to worry about. The cards are supplied by chase and they're responsible for securing them. I find it much more likely a event vendor was hacked. The people were using unsecured internet at the event, or a vendor was blatantly stealing peoples info and doing fraud on it. I personally think it's more likely a vendor was hacked. Or the people were on an unsecured wireless network.

@writerguyfl - Maybe it was the way I read the Disney representative quote. I find it hard to believe if it has been such a big problem that they haven’t received ANY guest complaints...it just seemed like a quick retort to downplay or even discredit the story.

I’m no expert but Disney could have some responsibility if the security lapse was on their website, right?

@writerguyfl - Maybe it was the way I read the Disney representative quote. I find it hard to believe if it has been such a big problem that they haven’t received ANY guest complaints...it just seemed like a quick retort to downplay or even discredit the story.

I’m no expert but Disney could have some responsibility if the security lapse was on their website, right?

I have no clue about liability but it doesn't seem likely it would be the registration website that was the issue, as that would have been done months ago, and it seems multiple people are just now having issues right after the expo/race. It is more likely, as previous posters have said, that it was an issue with a vendor, unsecured wireless, or even the terminals or other Disney point of sale areas at the expo itself.

The registration website isn’t run by Disney but by active.com. If active was hacked they would have taken many more cards then just rundisney races and those card numbers were out in months ago. Why wait till weekend of race to use them?

Also if it was a Disney terminal on property that was hacked would affect more then just rundisney people.

So the most likely place in my mind is the expo. Hits mainly rundisney people and merchants wouldn’t get cards until weeekebd of race. Intentional or unintentional I’d bet on something or somebody at expo

This is a loosely related anecdote. I recently had a fraudulent charge on one of my credit cards. This was my corporate credit card that my company had issued to me. The charge was for $752 at a Mexican Restaurant in Oklahoma City - a restaurant I've never been to in a city I haven't been in 5+ years.

But this is the most interesting part: I have NEVER used that card. It's never come out of my wallet. I never entered the numbers on the internet, anywhere.

My company would have the number because they get all of the statements, but it makes me wonder if there was some larger hack, either at my company, or the credit card company.

Unfortunately, this is not new to race expos. A number of runners had their cards hacked at the Marine Corp Marathon in October.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter