Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Good luck figuring out your plans! I'm glad to read I'm not the only indecisive one around here. Registration just opened for a local race I run every summer. I was about to sign up but then thought there was no reason to commit so early... Maybe in a few months.

Thank you!
Yeah, I'm not really a big "commit early" person unless I have to be (i.e. races that sell out super fast), so my instinct is to wait, but ... I don't know if maybe I should just get it over with and register now. It's tough.
Ack, tough decision. I'll be here with my popcorn waiting to see how it all pans out.... popcorn::

Save some popcorn for me, please!

The Suspense Is Over: In Which Sarah Runs (Most of) The Boroughs

So, here's what the "Upcoming Races" section of my myNYRR account looks like right now:

upload_2018-2-8_9-53-57.png

In my defense, I decided to update my VSCode (note to anyone reading who actually understands that: I use Sublime mostly. But I also use VSCode occasionally, and this was one of those occasions), and I had nothing else to do while it was updating.

Okay, needing to update software is not the actual reason why I registered. Here are the actual reasons for the decision:
1 - I will most likely have a big schedule change coming up soon (more on that in a few days, probably), and having something far ahead on the schedule will keep me motivated to run despite the changes.
2 - I don't think these races will sell out soon (I remember considering Staten Island last year, and it was still available during the summer), but I'd rather be registered than be worried.
3 - Yes, the commute for both will be crappy. But I can probably take an Uber and it'll be fine.
4 - If I decide that I don't want to do the NYC Half next year, I think I'm okay DNSing these races. Especially if I register earlier (and pay less). (NOTE: This will probably change in like 3 weeks when I remember how much I hate paying for things and then not doing them)

I am now officially registered for all of the races that I need to qualify for next year's United Airlines NYC Half Marathon. Yay! (I really hope I end up liking that race and wanting to run it again!)

YAY for new race registrations and congrats on getting registered for all the needed qualifying races. Excitement!!!

Life Interlude: In Which Sarah Buys All The Things

i-can-has-cheezburger.jpg

Just maybe cross out “cheezburger” (not kosher) and replace it with “job.”

Those of you who have known me for a little longer may know some of the story (I’m not quite sure that anyone knows all of it), but … after 4+ years of partial unemployment, several failed career attempts, going back to school, and turning down a job offer I probably should have taken … I have a job (or at least I signed an offer … I still have to pass the background check ... but I'm fairly certain I'll pass that). I don’t think it’s my forever job, but it’s a decent job, a good learning opportunity, and they gave me a really good offer.

So … how is this relevant to running?

A few ways:
  1. General well-being. The past few years have been so stressful for me, and that does carry over into running a little. I want to see if my running improves when my general state of mind is better.
  2. Schedule. Once I start (in a few weeks), all weekday runs will have to be on the treadmill. At least for the near future. We may eventually get to a point where I have time to run outside, but it’s still too dark for me to run in the morning and still have time to get ready for work (running after work doesn’t work either, also for dark reasons). Good news: this gives me a little more time to catch up on my Disney vlogs (which is what I watch on the treadmill).
  3. Moneys. So, this job they offered me, they’re going to pay me. Like, actual money. As in, stuff I can spend (and save, but they seem interested in paying me enough that I can save and also spend a little). This is useful in three ways:
    1. Buy all the things. Here are some of the running-related things on my shopping list: (NOTE: I’m not planning to buy all these things at once. Getting paid !== unlimited money (yes, that was a JavaScript joke. No, I don’t expect most of you to get it). But this is what’s on my radar for the next few months)
      • Female Support Product (of the upper body type). Okay, fine, I’ll say it: sports bra. Now that I have the monies, maybe I can get something with a little bit more support. Yay?
      • Black skirt – my black skirt is too stretched out to run in. I’m a big fan of the Running Skirts golf skirt, so next time they have free shipping or a free gift or something, I’ll buy the black skirt. (I’m actually debating another running skirt, a red polka dot skirt that is on sale right now but I’d have to buy a size smaller than I normally wear … stay tuned to see what happens (this would be my marathon skirt, just btw))
      • ALL THE RAW THREADS!!! Okay, maybe just a Garfield hoodie. Or maybe also a hoodie mystery pack next time they do a mystery pack sale. I might join the Raw Threads Club for the free t-shirt. We’ll see. But I must get the Garfield “Running is Horrible” hoodie.
      • My First INKnBURN? I know everyone here is all about the InB, and I do like quite a few of their designs, so maybe next time they come out with a shirt I like, I’ll order it. I just have to hope I get the sizing right.
      • New Garmin? I love my Garmin. I’m just wondering if it’s time for me to maybe upgrade to a fancier one. I dunno. (Unless I decide to kill two birds with one stone and get one of the fancy Fitbits that can do GPS)
      • New Belt? My running belt is in decent condition. But I have a very large phone (Galaxy S8+), and I need to take it out of the case to fit it in my belt. So maybe it’s time to upgrade the belt.
    2. Go all the places. I have a decent number of vacation days, and while I do need "approval" from my manager to take days off, I'm pretty sure that's just a formality and I can take the days off whenever. Since I have the monies, I can afford to travel on those vacation days. Which means (in addition to hopefully Disneyland with Beth) ... Marathon Weekend 2019 is a definite go (as a solo trip, which I am a drop nervous about). Other possible vacations (race and otherwise) TBD.
    3. Run All The Races. Disney races are taken care of in the aforementioned "go all the places." But I also like to do local races, and while I have been doing them even while on a budget, it's sometimes hard to justify the cost. Now that I will be making the monies ... paying for races is one less thing I have to worry about. Which is good, since I have another 5 local races to register for this year ...
I am actually a little nervous. I've never run while working full-time before. I started running the first time while I was unemployed, and then I stopped when I started working and didn't start again until after I quit that job. I did manage to keep running while I was in school, which was kind of the same thing (9:30-6:30 every day, plus doing some work at home occasionally), but … I’m still a little nervous. I’m hoping that having races on the horizon (something I didn’t have last time I was in this situation) helps. I just have to not get too absorbed in the work and make sure to remember to make time for the things I love (including running).

As for what the job is, since I’m sure a few of you are curious … Officially I’m working for a consulting firm, but I will be full-time onsite as a full stack UI developer (which is kind of an oxymoron, but whatever) at a client, the engineering department of a retailer.
(As far as I know, no free beer, snacks, ping pong, or foosball tables. But so far I’ve only spent a few hours at the office, and most of that was in a conference room, so I could be wrong. But I plan to keep going to meetups for my free beer and snacks.)

In Other News …
Today’s Coffee Update: I opened a new coffee today – Market Pantry French Roast. Much more to my taste than the Archer Farms House Blend I was drinking before. Yes, I buy all of my coffee at Target.

#buyallthethings posts are my favorite!!

Why, oh why, did you post that stupid Garfield hoodie??? I just splurged on a new InB purchase and now you have to post that? ARGHHHH!!!!

I also love that polka dot skirt and it would be adorable for the marathon.

Congrats on the job and congrats on the money and congrats on spending the money soon. :D

PS This post made me happy. :D

OK... Now that I have my meme out of the way... time for some more detailed comments :)
I have a job (or at least I signed an offer … I still have to pass the background check ... but I'm fairly certain I'll pass that). I don’t think it’s my forever job, but it’s a decent job, a good learning opportunity, and they gave me a really good offer.
Sounds like a great opportunity- here's hoping you pass ;) (jk, you'll be fine!)

Schedule. Once I start (in a few weeks), all weekday runs will have to be on the treadmill.
This is what I do- not ideal, but I have learned to love my treadmill. Spring is coming... (I tell myself that all winter long and then always get hit BAD with spring allergies...)

Moneys. So, this job they offered me, they’re going to pay me. Like, actual money. As in, stuff I can spend (and save, but they seem interested in paying me enough that I can save and also spend a little).
Always good to not work for free! ;) I completely believe that money does not buy happiness, but it definitely makes life a little easier! Excited that this will afford (get it?) you some fun traveling opportunities, including MARATHON WEEKEND!

I am actually a little nervous. I've never run while working full-time before. I started running the first time while I was unemployed, and then I stopped when I started working and didn't start again until after I quit that job. I did manage to keep running while I was in school, which was kind of the same thing (9:30-6:30 every day, plus doing some work at home occasionally), but … I’m still a little nervous. I’m hoping that having races on the horizon (something I didn’t have last time I was in this situation) helps. I just have to not get too absorbed in the work and make sure to remember to make time for the things I love (including running).
It will be an adjustment, but you'll find your groove in no time :)

In Other News …
Today’s Coffee Update: I opened a new coffee today – Market Pantry French Roast. Much more to my taste than the Archer Farms House Blend I was drinking before. Yes, I buy all of my coffee at Target.
This makes me wonder... what kind of coffee will your new job have?? (I don't care for my office coffee.)

View attachment 301238

This is such exciting news!!! CONGRATULATIONS SARAH!!!

Thank you! (Also, thanks for the high five, puppy!)

#buyallthethings posts are my favorite!!

Aren't they the best? I love buying all the things ... (or, more realistically, watching everyone else buy all the things and being too cheap to buy them myself)

Why, oh why, did you post that stupid Garfield hoodie??? I just splurged on a new InB purchase and now you have to post that? ARGHHHH!!!!

I figured it was safe because not that many people here wear Raw Threads! It's not like I'm posting more InB things for people to buy ...
(But seriously, look at their whole Garfield collection. So many adorable designs. There's a "All this for a free banana" design. There might end up being multiple Garfield hoodie purchases, especially if I decide to wear them to work instead of for running.)

I also love that polka dot skirt and it would be adorable for the marathon.

Agreed ... that's why I bought it :) My planned costume for the marathon will be Minnie Mouse (because it's Mickey's race and behind every great male mouse is an even greater female mouse), so this is the first step in that costume.

Congrats on the job and congrats on the money and congrats on spending the money soon. :D

Thank you!

PS This post made me happy. :D

Thank you! I'm happy that it made you happy :)

OK... Now that I have my meme out of the way... time for some more detailed comments :)

The meme is the most important part ... but I appreciate the detailed comments too :)

Sounds like a great opportunity- here's hoping you pass ;) (jk, you'll be fine!)

Thanks! I've never shoplifted from this particular retailer, so I think I'll be good. (I've actually never shoplifted at all ... I think)

This is what I do- not ideal, but I have learned to love my treadmill. Spring is coming... (I tell myself that all winter long and then always get hit BAD with spring allergies...)

I was doing treadmill for the last few weeks of school too ... I can tolerate it, but I prefer outdoors. Hopefully I'll learn to love it.

Always good to not work for free! ;) I completely believe that money does not buy happiness, but it definitely makes life a little easier! Excited that this will afford (get it?) you some fun traveling opportunities, including MARATHON WEEKEND!

Afford ... hahaha!!
I actually got an email a few weeks ago from a company who wanted me to work for free. They emailed me about an opportunity working for a startup for equity that would vest in one year ... aka no money until maybe a year from now if the company happens to be worth something and they want to buy me out. No thank you. Money may not buy happiness, but it does buy the freedom to not have to worry about paying my credit card bill, which lowers my stress, which in turn contributes to happiness.
(This is actually a thing in the startup world - working for equity - it actually really works out if you end up working for a company that becomes huge because you get a ton of money on the IPO, but it's also a huge risk because the company could go under and you get nothing)

It will be an adjustment, but you'll find your groove in no time :)

Thanks - I hope you're right!

This makes me wonder... what kind of coffee will your new job have?? (I don't care for my office coffee.)

I actually don't know, but if the office coffee happens to be terrible, there's a Starbucks a block away. Also ... I can always make coffee at home and bring it in with me. Also, we're in the same building as Facebook (I think), so if my office coffee is terrible, maybe I can make a friend at Facebook and then steal their coffee and free snacks.

YASSSSS SARAH!
congratulations-gif-tumblr-3.gif

I think most first jobs aren't the forever job (mine wasn't) but it's still awesome and you should be super proud!

It'll definitely be an adjustment figuring out when to get the runs in but I know you'll figure it out!

HOORAY FOR THE MONEYS! I expect shopping posts. ::yes::

INB tops run pretty true to size for the mostpart FYI. I forget, what kind of Garmin do you have?

WOOHOO for future Disney travel! :yay: As a solo Marathon Weekend vet, I can tell you that it IS different going by yourself, but it's also kind of nice - especially on a race weekend. You get to call the shots 100%, which is a good thing with the weird hours.

Sorry about the no free beer and snacks, I don't get that at my job either. :sad1:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!