Runaway Railway delayed, bad news for Galaxy`s Edge crowds?

I know they are popular (and I like them too), but they don't even come close to Star Wars popular. I don't see people camped out for days before the opening of a new Mickey Mouse movie the way Star Wars fans have done for new Star Wars movies in the past, etc. You might not like what I said, but it is the truth. If the Runaway Railway opening crowds come close to causing the park to have to add 3 extra hours per day for a couple months straight then I'll eat my words...

You can`t compare one ride to the opening of an entire new land.

Within a Disney park, Mickey et. al. certainly come close to Star Wars in popularity. There`s a difference between Star Wars fans and theme park fans, although there is overlap, of course.

I predict wait times for Runaway Railway, during its first year of operation, will be about the same as for Smuggler`s Run, unless Railway has greater hourly capacity. That`s not a bold prediction, either.

As many of you probably heard by now, the new Mickey and Minnie ride is delayed to Spring 2020. I am wondering what you think about the impact on DHS after GE. Will this mean that the park won`t be able to absorb the crowds packing the place for GE? Personally, I think the delay is very bad news, because I think a new Mickey and Minnie dark ride would be almost as popular as the new Star Wars rides, thus taking some pressure off the new land. Thoughts?

I've outlined my thoughts on other threads, but I see this delay as a potential for another guest wave for DHS. You have SWGE opening (minues RotR), then a RotR opening later this year and then MMRR a few months thereafter.

I see it, now, as a staged 3 event/attraction wave of guests which also could/would increase revenue and possibly level the crowds.

I don't think there's a hope in hell that a new Mickey and Minnie dark ride will be anywhere close to the insane level of popularity of the new Star Wars rides. Star Wars fans are RABID. They camped out overnight even to see the ****ty prequels in the early 2000s. I like Star Wars, but I personally will be avoiding the Galaxy's Edge area like the plague for probably years to come as I have zero patience for fighting massive crowds. I still haven't had the patience to wait and do the Flight of Passage. Life is too short for me to wait hours for a single ride...but Star Wars fanatics sure will. This will be like nothing before I'm afraid.

Last time I checked, Mickey, Minnie and Goofy are also EXTREMELY popular, especially in a Disney park.

I understand what she meant with her post. Yes Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy are popular in the Disney parks, but Star Wars has been HUGE since 1977, and fans are a different breed than other fans. So when ANYTHING Star Wars happens, they let you know it's happening. Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Train had NO chance to be as popular as SWGE. I DO believe it would have pulled some Disney fans that way to help with capacity in SWGE. But in relation to the Star Wars fans who will flock to DHS.....I don't think it can even be compared. I'll be in Disney this time next week, but have no plans to step foot inside of the Studios. The park just "isn't my thing" anymore. However, when we return in another 4 years, I'm looking forward to seeing SWGE AND Runaway Train. I'm sorry The Great Movie Ride had to be taken down for this one to happen, it was one of my favorites in that park. But often times, we have to make way for the new.

Agreed. Hadn't seen a single star wars movie until my wife "made" me watch them about 5 years ago. Galaxies Edge will crush all things Disney in popularity.

I really don`t think that lots of people will be going to WDW just for GE; the real Star Wars nuts will be invading Disneyland, because that is the first one opening.
Yeah, the upside is that SW nuts always want to be the first to experience something related to SW, so they have to go to Disneyland for that. But I still expect considerable crowds at DHS after the opening; at least TSL is also very popular.
Yea - but true SW nuts will want to experience BOTH. I have become convinced that its gonna be crowded.

I know they are popular (and I like them too), but they don't even come close to Star Wars popular. I don't see people camped out for days before the opening of a new Mickey Mouse movie the way Star Wars fans have done for new Star Wars movies in the past, etc. You might not like what I said, but it is the truth. If the Runaway Railway opening crowds come close to causing the park to have to add 3 extra hours per day for a couple months straight then I'll eat my words...
I think it is important to note that we are talking about an entire land, the largest they have ever made, as opposed to one ride. So the issue of Mickey, MInnie, and Goofy's popularity versus the Star Wars Universe is kind of an apples to oranges kind of thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter