runDisney and Trip Insurance?

sandam1

DIS Veteran
So Marathon Weekend registration is quickly approaching. However, my travel partner is completely uncertain as to whether she will be able to participate with a bunch of things up in the air with both her health (she is working through some leg issues) and her job. The original plan (before everything came up) was for her to run the 5K and 10K and for me to do the 5K, 10K, and half. I expect the 5k and 10k to sell out quickly so the concept of waiting to see how things shake out isn't a great option. But I'd hate to register and then lose the money (which for both of us comes to ~$600).

I was wondering if travel insurance might be the answer. Has anyone ever purchased insurance for a runDisney trip and then had to actually make a claim on it? What insurance company and how did it work out?

Thanks in advance!

I’ve never had to make a claim, but I got it for this year’s Dopey. The race fees and hotel cost (Beach Club) were too much for me to just throw away if something happened. I used insure my trip to purchase it. Make sure you read all the fine print because a lot of policies will not cover pre-existing conditions. There are some that have a cancel for any reason option, but it’s not always a 100% refund so make sure you understand those terms and conditions too. You can also call that company on the phone and they will help guide you to the right product.

Now that Disney no longer allows for deferrals, I will get trip insurance for my Dopey races every year. I have had to defer due to a broken foot in the past.

I haven't done it for runDisney, but I've done it for Ironman races that I've had to miss due to work commitments that cropped up. I use Allianz and have made two successful claims. Like Bree suggested, always check the fine print, but this company worked for me and my situations. I'm considering Dopey for 2020 but I'll be moving for work this fall/winter - unsure where or when until at least June when those details come through. It's hard to commit to a race not knowing where in the world I might be, so I'm thinking about registering and insuring as well rather than risk losing a race slot. Good luck!

Just know about the insurance before you buy it.

I bought the insurance for rock and roll Seattle. I ended up with cellulitis in my face two weeks before, and although it was better by the race it was still throbbing and hurting with my heartbeat. That didn’t sound like fun to me, and given the stomach issues from the two antibiotics I was on, I didn’t really want to risk it.

I needed to take the form in to the doctor. That would have cost me another visit on my high deductible plan. Which would have been the same amount as what I’d paid for the race. Which made no sense. So I just skipped the run.

If I got insurance again and had an issue like that and hasn’t let my deductible, I would take the form in on that initial visit so I (maybe) didn’t have to pay for a second visit for the form.

Know what you’re getting and what the process is, just in case.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter