RunDisney Beginner

Hi! And good for you! I started with a runDisney event back in 2011 at age 46!

_I_ found the couch to 5K plans WAY "too much" for me. One of the began with "Most people can run a mile to start" HA! NOT ME!!

I heartily endorse the Galloway walk-run-walk method, but just my 2cents, I would try to get my walking pace at 17 mm for the entire distance before adding a running component.

Be aware that the Oh God THirty morning of the run, you may STAND in the corral for well over an hour. THis alone can be tiring.

ABSOLUTELY GO TO A GOOD RUNNING STORE AND GET FITTED FOR SHOES.

PLEASE feel free to PM me for encouragement, a buddy, etc.

Jenny

Is it OK to actually walk the whole 5K? Or does everyone have to run?
I finished the 2018 Star Wars Dark Side 5K at Disney World in around 90 minutes and started in the last corral. I spent a lot of time in line for different photos like a stormtrooper in front of Spaceship Earth. But even when I was not standing in line, I never "ran" per se. I walked briskly, but easily since I wanted to save my legs for the 10K and Half the next two days.

Hi! And good for you! I started with a runDisney event back in 2011 at age 46!

_I_ found the couch to 5K plans WAY "too much" for me. One of the began with "Most people can run a mile to start" HA! NOT ME!!

I heartily endorse the Galloway walk-run-walk method, but just my 2cents, I would try to get my walking pace at 17 mm for the entire distance before adding a running component.

Be aware that the Oh God THirty morning of the run, you may STAND in the corral for well over an hour. THis alone can be tiring.

ABSOLUTELY GO TO A GOOD RUNNING STORE AND GET FITTED FOR SHOES.

PLEASE feel free to PM me for encouragement, a buddy, etc.

Jenny

You beat me to it!! The last time I tried to take up running (back in 2016) I used a Couch-to-5K app, and I honestly think one of the reasons I didn't stick it out (beyond a lot of Life Events that badly interrupted my summer that year) was that it was too much too fast. I did get more fit in the three or four weeks of it I managed to complete, but every run left me huffing and puffing and feeling terrible. And yeah, no, I have never been able to run a mile in my life. Never. Not even as a kid. I don't think I could even run a half mile continuously.

But I started the Galloway beginners' program a week ago, and on Saturday I did a mile and a half at a run/walk with a pace under 15 minutes per mile (I've never gotten under 15 minutes per mile when I'd try to run continuously and poop out) and came home feeling great (I even did some extra walking after my cooldown because I was just feeling so good!). Galloway has you doing run/walk/run at regular intervals, and unless you decide to eventually quit using the Galloway method, you never have to switch to a continuous run. I'm finding it much more flexible than C25K, and much more suited to my needs. I bought one of Galloway's books (I think it's The Run Walk Run Method; he has a bunch that I think contain similar information) and it had a suggested 13-week training schedule to take you from nothing to 3.5 miles. I'm using the run times and distances suggested, but switched to different run/walk ratio, and I love that it's so easy to tailor it to where I am in my journey.

Hi Everyone!

I’ve made the decision to take my health and weight loss seriously, and set myself the goal to do the 5k & 10k next February at the Princess event. However, I have no idea where to start! I’m looking for information, resources and tips you may know now that you wish you knew as a beginner.

Thanks a bunch!

All of the info about getting started, finding information, staying motivated, etc. is definitely on target. Whether you ever run a Disney race or not I think there are tons of bonuses to improving your health and losing weight.

However, I skimmed all the responses and didn't see any mention that RunDisney 5K and 10K sell out fast. Although I've never run during Princess Weekend I'm pretty sure Princess sells out the fastest of all weekends; for comparison, the 5K and 10K during Marathon Weekend have sold out within the first hour of registration for the last few years. I'm not sure how the new registration system will work, but depending on what mode of registration you are looking to use (Normal, AP/DVC, Travel Agent) you will likely have to be on top of registration dates, times and methods. If running those two races during Princess Weekend are going to be a big motivation then you'll need to make sure you're ready for registration so that you don't have the disappointment of missing out on your desired races potentially dragging down your plan.

Hi Everyone!

I’ve made the decision to take my health and weight loss seriously, and set myself the goal to do the 5k & 10k next February at the Princess event. However, I have no idea where to start! I’m looking for information, resources and tips you may know now that you wish you knew as a beginner.

Thanks a bunch!

All of the info about getting started, finding information, staying motivated, etc. is definitely on target. Whether you ever run a Disney race or not I think there are tons of bonuses to improving your health and losing weight.

However, I skimmed all the responses and didn't see any mention that RunDisney 5K and 10K sell out fast. Although I've never run during Princess Weekend I'm pretty sure Princess sells out the fastest of all weekends; for comparison, the 5K and 10K during Marathon Weekend have sold out within the first hour of registration for the last few years. I'm not sure how the new registration system will work, but depending on what mode of registration you are looking to use (Normal, AP/DVC, Travel Agent) you will likely have to be on top of registration dates, times and methods. If running those two races during Princess Weekend are going to be a big motivation then you'll need to make sure you're ready for registration so that you don't have the disappointment of missing out on your desired races potentially dragging down your plan.
This is great advice. Be ready to sign up immediately as soon as registration goes live for you. And that means within seconds of the time registration opens up. Although it's not so insane now, when the inaugural Star Wars Half at Disneyland went on sale in 2014, the challenge sold out in 25 minutes. The 5K and 10K a few minutes after that and the half 2 hours afterwards. I used a travel agent for the inaugural Star Wars Half and was so glad I did. Also keep in mind that a runDisney travel agent may require minimum park days and/or on property stays if running at Disney World.

The half will be available longer because of the distance. But the 5K and 10K will sell out fast because they are more manageable distances. Speaking for myself, I think the 10K is my favorite distance. It's long enough to require some effort from me, but short enough to not tire me too much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter