rundisney volunteers

WDWNY

DIS Veteran
Has anyone volunteered for a rundisney run? How was your experience? When do you register?
I'm interested in volunteering for one of the races - it seems fun!

Yep! 5K for January wekend 2015. It was good. COLD. Thank goodness they gave us a windbreaker, because my layers would have caused me to be an icicle. You register when it opens.

I got to report to Epcot at 3am. We milled around, figured out who was who, were assigned groups and assigned tasks. I got what I feel is THE best task ever, which was that I helped to man the after-run water/powerade stations, and I was at the LAST table before you exit that chute. :) I was also with a large group of retired women who live locally and volunteer for everything, and they know everything about it. Since they are a big group they get to choose what they are going to do. :)

https://www.rundisney.com/volunteer/

We met at 3 b/c we had to set up the tables with the drinks. Meaning we literally set up the tables, then we opened the pallets of drinks and set them all out. Then we cleaned up that mess, and retreated to the medical tent because it was 33 degrees. Once we heard the 5K start we hustled to get to our stations because we knew that we would get our first customers in about 15 minutes. And we worked until the last person had crossed the finish and was through our station! There were some volunteers that stayed longer, but I'm a lingerer and didn't ask to leave. :) Plus, hubby and son were doing the 5K as walkers, so they were coming in later anyway.

Thank you!! Is it hard to get shifts for the run you want? I found some blogs from 2014 that said they go quick. My friend and I were planning on running the 10k and then volunteering for the marathon in January. I wish I could run a marathon lol but the atmosphere is so inspiring and run to be in I thought it would be fun to volunteer for it.

Register the moment you can. No shift is guaranteed. I wasn't happy to report at 3am but it was a really good experience.

I have volunteered at Marathon weekend on numerous occasions, always during the half or full. I have done water stops (behind Splash was fun!), food stops, and crowd control. The main draw for me--which has since been changed--was the immediate receipt of a one day park ticket (for those volunteering for half/full).

Registering for volunteer shifts has become as crazy as registering for the races. In the "old days", you could peruse the list of shifts and take at least some amount of time deciding. No more. Also, there are fewer shifts for individuals than in the past. Many stops are covered by groups. Also, at least once, I had my volunteer location changed.

It may sound like it's a pain, but actually, I enjoy volunteering for races (not just Disney) I have frozen my tail off (2010 half), handed out a ton of water, watched a bus get stuck on the median shortly before the start of the full (that was a trip), and run out of gels at a food stop (NOT cool on Disney's part). But it's still fun to cheer on the runners and fun to be able to get behind the scenes at several of the parks.

So as mentioned, if you want to volunteer, do it on Day 1 as soon as it opens.

The main draw for me--which has since been changed--was the immediate receipt of a one day park ticket (for those volunteering for half/full).
I really want one of those windbreakers! haha ok- Im in, fingers crossed I can get a shift!

Trying to figure out how to phrase this....If I sign up on the waitlist to volunteer for the Dark Side 10K, then get selected, but change our plans such that I can't volunteer...what happens? I just tell them I can't do it anymore? Does this make sense? Worried about someone relying on me, and then I change my mind...Or is there enough people that they just move on down the list?
Thanks!

I'm volunteering at the marathon after running the half this year. Is volunteer check-in at the same location as the pre-race area outside Epcot? I'm wondering if I'll be able to take event transportation.

I'm volunteering at the marathon after running the half this year. Is volunteer check-in at the same location as the pre-race area outside Epcot? I'm wondering if I'll be able to take event transportation.

If you mean "pick up your credentials, do your waiver, etc" then that is at WWoS, so yes on transportation. For "day-of" check-in, not sure where they do that these days. Last time I did it was 2 years ago, and they had everyone go to Team Disney across from Disney Springs, then they bused you to your location. So you needed to have your own transportation to get there.

If you mean "pick up your credentials, do your waiver, etc" then that is at WWoS, so yes on transportation. For "day-of" check-in, not sure where they do that these days. Last time I did it was 2 years ago, and they had everyone go to Team Disney across from Disney Springs, then they bused you to your location. So you needed to have your own transportation to get there.
Yep, curious about day-of location. Thanks for sharing your experience!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter