Running and visiting solo

Marc A.

DIS Veteran
Running in my second disney race next year and am going down without the rest of the family.
Most likely headed down Thursday night, expo Friday and 10k Saturday, half Sunday.
Leaving Sunday night....
Just wondering what seasoned runners suggest doing Friday after expo, Saturday after 10k?
I know everything should be done slowly.
Suggestions and dining??
Thanks

Whatever you want... that's the beauty of going solo.

I've been to two runDisney events solo, although I was able to catch dinner with a old friend both times. I ate at Trattoria al Forno which was fine as a solo. Also, I decided not to spend a ton of time in the parks, but I did schedule some FP+ rides during the downtime windows. So, I would venture into the parks at a relaxed pace, ride my scheduled FP+ rides, then leave. It was sort of fun not "running" around everywhere.

Running in my second disney race next year and am going down without the rest of the family.
One of the great advantages of solo races at Disney is that you control your agenda. Personally, I like park time after the race as it helps me to keep moving, but I also take post race days nice and easy and choose a lot of sit down attractions such as shows or lengthy rides. In 2017, I went to Disney Springs after the Expo, this year I went back to the resort after the Expo, but had spent the morning in Epcot. For food, I just choose what I feel like eating that has agreed with me in the past. If I'm in the parks, I look at places that sound good and safe (if it's a new place) before a race.

Whatever you want... that's the beauty of going solo.
Yep. It's important to remember that most people are so wrapped up in their own vacation agendas that they don't really worry about what anyone else is doing. I've taken countless solo trips to Disneyland including 4 race weekends and 3 solo trips to Disney World including 2 race weekends.

I only did the half when I was out for Dark Side last year, but it was nice having some time to myself. I got in on Friday, spent Saturday at Epcot (during Flower and Garden festival) and watched the concert that night before Illuminations.

I probably pushed a bit too hard on Sunday after the half - I wanted to see Rivers of Light, so I spent the rest of the day at Animal Kingdom.

I went solo last year and I'm doing it again this year. I know the day before the race I went to the expo and went to epcot for dinner and to walk around and enjoy the sights. After the race was a bit different as I was tired as crap lol I took a power nap since I had woke up at 1 am the day of the race. I did eventually head to dhs, did some rides and took in fantasmic and called it a night. Being solo you have the advantage to do whatever you like. One suggestion is do some pool time at your resort. Relax and enjoy the weather. Hope that helps.

I’ve done 10 race weekends now.. half have been solo. TBH, the solo weekends are the best. You can always grab a seat at a bar at any Disney restaurant like say, Cali grill.. it’s a great way to enjoy those kind of restaurants by yourself. Otherwise quick serve is easy and obviously everywhere. I love the pace I set being by myself and I find the weekend to be so relaxing even though I walk 15 plus miles with the runs each day or more.

It’s super easy to sneak into a show anywhere when your by yourself last minute... such as happily ever after!

In regards to the expo, id hit it as soon as you can as things sell out. If that maters to you..

I've mainly travelled solo. The one draw back I have is that you cannot book ADRs at some locations as a single diner...Ohana for example.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!