Running?! Are you crazy? PTR Princess Half Marathon 2020

Disneybell2015

Mouseketeer
:dogdance:Howdy Everyone and welcome to my very first pre-trip report!:dogdance:

I have been mostly a lurker on the forum for quite a few years so I am happy to be able to post this pre-trip report. My family and I have visited Disney World once in 2008 and I've been trying to get back ever since! I know this is really far in advanced but I can't help it! I'm just so darn excited :yay:

Who?

(I just really wanted to show off my awesome Minnie Mouse leggings)
Me- Racheal 27 years young:wave:

My Mom - Can't share her age or she would kill me :P

My Dad - 61 years young:groom:

When?

February 19th- 24th, 2020
This date is pretty set in stone as I have already purchased my bib and paid my deposit on our room. This length is around the same length we said when we went in 2008. I doubt we will take any days off and I'd really like to add 1 day but financially I think this is how long I can afford.

Where?

I booked us a room at Port Orleans French Quarter. This hotel has always interested me so I am so excited to be staying here. I love the theming of the hotel and can't wait to see it in person. In a perfect world I would have taken us back to Beach Club but I am still very excited to go the POFQ!:flower:

This is also my first time using a travel agent! TA had a special where they could book a bib for you with a minimum 2 nights(I believe) stay at a resort if you booked by Mar 3, 2019. Otherwise regular registration for the runs opens June 4th. I'm very excited as well because before in 2008 I was only 16 and my parents paid the entire way for the trip but this time around I am treating my parents to a trip!

Why?

As I mentioned previously, I have been trying my best to get back to WDW since our 2008 trip. The trip we had in 2008 was planned on a whim and was one of the first times I had ever seen my father actually relax and enjoy himself. It really was such a wonderful trip! You're probably thinking, "but why the princess half marathon?!" Well I heard about the princess half marathon about 4 or 5 years ago and was so intrigued by it. I watched a ton of videos and read many different reports/post about the half marathon and I was hooked. Seeing how magical it was being able to run through the parks and hearing people get emotional about the journey of training for the event and then completing it was so awesome and encouraging. I'm not a physically fit person and I am not a runner but I have such a strong desire to complete this challenge and to have satisfaction of saying "I did that! ME?! I did it!" I've wanted to better myself and felt like this was the perfect goal for me to chase after. I hope that you will stick around as I plan to update on my training progress right up to before we leave!

Here is a picture of my adorable dog who I will miss terribly when I go on this trip. Does anyone else have a hard time leaving their pet behind :( ?

By the Way
Since it has been so long since we have been to WDW I know a ton has changed. Please feel free to leave suggestions on your favorite restaurants and rides you prefer to schedule a fast pass for!

Week 1 Training - COMPLETE 3/10/19

Last edited:
I completely understand the excitement of knowing a trip is in your future and the fun of planning. My wife, daughter and I did the Princess Half Marathon this year as our first runDisney event (and first half marathon for my wife and daughter). We started planning our trip (and training!) in May 2018. We also stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter and loved it. My wife and I agreed it would be the first resort we would consider if/when we go to Disney again. I have plans to start a trip report this weekend - we will see how that goes! Best of luck with the training and planning.

I completely understand the excitement of knowing a trip is in your future and the fun of planning. My wife, daughter and I did the Princess Half Marathon this year as our first runDisney event (and first half marathon for my wife and daughter). We started planning our trip (and training!) in May 2018. We also stayed at Port Orleans French Quarter and loved it. My wife and I agreed it would be the first resort we would consider if/when we go to Disney again. I have plans to start a trip report this weekend - we will see how that goes! Best of luck with the training and planning.

Yes I am so excited I have pretty much been using a lot of my free time researching everything I can for the trip. I'm almost done with the first week of training and feeling excited. I'm so glad to hear you liked POFQ as I really am excited to stay there. I just love the theme of it. I will definitely be checking out your trip report! Thank you so much !

Week 1 Training Complete!
I am happy to say that mom and I completed our first week of training! Woo:cheer2:! Only like a ton more to go lol! We are starting out slow by doing 5k training for now. The weather here(I'm in VA) has been quite cold and rainy for us since the beginning of the year but next week it is supposed to be beautiful sunshine filled days! YAY :thumbsup2 We decided to get up at 5AM on training days(yes even the weekend :eek:) as this was the easiest time for us. Plus once summer comes around and it is hotter, training in the earlier am will be easier than training later in the day(also I'm really a morning person so I don't mind getting up)! Surprisingly we got up for each day of training with no hiccups and once we were running we no longer cared that it was 5 in the morning :rotfl:. I will say it is quite dark at 5AM and for whatever reason my neighborhood does not have streetlights so we did invest in some headband lights. We also decided to take a trip to our local FleetFeet today and just peruse around. It made us both more pumped up looking at the different running gear from shoes to arm bands to socks to clothes! We also decided on a local 10k to complete in October before the races next February. I'm hoping that in the race in October we will have a decent pace we can submit to runDisney for corral placement(can't say I'm not a little scared of getting swept as our pace right now is atrocious but I'm trying to not focus on pace). It's surprising how fun running can be when you focus on doing it correctly and not pushing yourself too hard. I'm very excited to be on this journey with my mom and I can't wait to see what we will accomplish! Fairy Tale Challenge here I come! :jumping1:

Also, I forgot to mention but last week at work some coworkers and I started a diet competition all together. We really never settled on a prize so it's more of an accountability group. One of my coworkers has already lost 7 lbs :eek:. I hope to lose some weight but I am more focused on gaining my endurance for running.

I hope you all had a great week and cheers to a new week ahead of us!:dogdance:

I am happy to say that mom and I completed our first week of training! [...] We decided to get up at 5AM on training days [...] Surprisingly we got up for each day of training with no hiccups and once we were running we no longer cared that it was 5 in the morning

Congratulations on the great start to your training! I am impressed by the 5 am starts - I know that many runners who post on these boards have a similar routine, but I don't think I would have the discipline if that is what my schedule required. I do understand the feeling about the start time not mattering once you are going. I find it similar on days when I am tired or distracted and unenthusiastic about running. Once I am underway, those concerns typically drop away. I almost always feel better following the run.

Best of luck!

Congratulations on the great start to your training! I am impressed by the 5 am starts - I know that many runners who post on these boards have a similar routine, but I don't think I would have the discipline if that is what my schedule required. I do understand the feeling about the start time not mattering once you are going. I find it similar on days when I am tired or distracted and unenthusiastic about running. Once I am underway, those concerns typically drop away. I almost always feel better following the run.

Best of luck!
Thank you! Yes the 5AM is earrrlly but luckily I'm a morning person. It is so crazy how once you start running you really lose the distractions and gain a ton of determination! Thanks for the luck !

Week 2 Training Complete!
I have completed week 2 of training. This one was hard because unfortunately we had a family emergency that mixed our training days up and we ended up training 2 days in a row. Despite the things going on in life I am proud that Mom and I trained anyways. The good news is that I can feel a slight difference when running and our pace has improved a little :)! I am excited for week three as we continue to add to our long run mileage. We have really done well and take the walk breaks when needed. I honestly find the hardest part of training is actually getting out of bed and doing it! Once we are running I just get into training mode and suddenly nothing else matters. Cheers:dogdance: to a new week and to more mileage under our belts!

A little side note but if you are someone who prays if you could please keep my family in your prayers. Thank you

Following along!

Hope all turns out well for your family!

That’s awesome that you’re treating your parents to a trip. Mine refuse to go back to WDW :confused3

What are you using to train? We just registered for our first Disney race also but are only doing the 5k at Wine and Dine in November. I was too nervous to do anything else!

Congrat's on getting up and getting out!
I too saw the Princess 1/2 a long time ago (I think it was the 2nd one) and called up my mom and told her that we were signing up and training for it! We had a lot of fun together and now we've done quite a few RunDisney races, although my preferred run is now a 10k and soon might be a 5k :rotfl2:

Good luck on training!

Totally joining along! Where in VA are you? We live here, too! :)

I just began training for Princess Weekend, too! I think I’m only doing the 10k, but it will be my first Disney race and I can’t wait!

Awesome job on sticking to your training!

I just registered for my first 5k! My aunt and I will be doing the Wine and Done 5k this fall!

I'm not a runner - but a Disney race seems fun to me for some reason! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

Are you following a training program? I'm just hitting the gym and using the treadmill for now. I really needed to start slow and work my way up.

Pofq is my favorite moderate! You will absolutely love it!!

I look forward to reading about your training and planning!! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter