Running around the world to get to Hopkinton

Following along....though reconsidering if there are more pictures of crazy long snakes coming down the pike!! :scared:

Welcome! I don't have any other snake pics, so I certainly hope I won't be sharing any other ones. I'm not a fan of snakes.

Monday's are a rough day for me. I usually take my son to school so I can make it to work by about 7:15 so that I can start knocking stuff out before meetings start. I'm in meetings pretty much the whole day, but I do try and block a portion to run. For example today I have a meeting through lunch so I blocked off at 4 to try and run, after running I head to class and I'll be there to 9pm-ish.

Today's random running picture comes from the middle of a 200 mile relay through Virginia. A farmer had run electrified wires across the road (you can see one in the pic and was driving a heard of cattle across the road between them). As I got up to it he just yelled "just crawl under the wires, but don't touch them".

So the next time your concerned about course congestion mid race, know that it could be worse.

IMG_1049.JPG

This afternoon's run is an I pace run. I really like them. They are like somewhere between a Hansons speed and strength run.

Monday's are a rough day for me. I usually take my son to school so I can make it to work by about 7:15 so that I can start knocking stuff out before meetings start. I'm in meetings pretty much the whole day, but I do try and block a portion to run. For example today I have a meeting through lunch so I blocked off at 4 to try and run, after running I head to class and I'll be there to 9pm-ish.

Today's random running picture comes from the middle of a 200 mile relay through Virginia. A farmer had run electrified wires across the road (you can see one in the pic and was driving a heard of cattle across the road between them). As I got up to it he just yelled "just crawl under the wires, but don't touch them".

So the next time your concerned about course congestion mid race, know that it could be worse.

View attachment 301975

This afternoon's run is an I pace run. I really like them. They are like somewhere between a Hansons speed and strength run.
Good grief that's not terrifying at all! Haha. But made for a sweet picture!!

Interesting that you like the "Daniels I pace". In my experience they are downright brutal. I'll be interested to hear how it goes now that the intervals go beyond 2 minutes. Past 2 minutes is when you start pushing the VO2max workout. So there should be a big jump in difficulty from 2 min to 3 min intervals.

Interesting that you like the "Daniels I pace". In my experience they are downright brutal. I'll be interested to hear how it goes now that the intervals go beyond 2 minutes. Past 2 minutes is when you start pushing the VO2max workout. So there should be a big jump in difficulty from 2 min to 3 min intervals.

So I was excited going into today's workout and then I saw this and was like "Crap maybe this is gonna stink"
Intervals 1-3 were fine and then they got progressively harder. The sixth one was pretty hard.

So I was excited going into today's workout and then I saw this and was like "Crap maybe this is gonna stink"
Intervals 1-3 were fine and then they got progressively harder. The sixth one was pretty hard.

That's more like it. They are termed "the most difficult endurance workout" by Daniels. So if you liked them, then I was going to guess we scheduled them too slow. The absolute key for these is avoiding the fade. If you see a fade, then the next workout needs to be slightly slower. It's all about having the fastest consistent pace with these to maximize the gains.

That's more like it. They are termed "the most difficult endurance workout" by Daniels. So if you liked them, then I was going to guess we scheduled them too slow. The absolute key for these is avoiding the fade. If you see a fade, then the next workout needs to be slightly slower. It's all about having the fastest consistent pace with these to maximize the gains.

It was raining here so I wound up doing them on a treadmill. Pace was consistent. I might have been able to do one more, but it would not have been pleasant. I think I like them because I like working out hard. Mentally I think it's easier for me to push myself for 6 intervals than it is to push for one really long interval even if the long interval is physiologically easier. From the time I was 6 to the time I was 15 I swam competitively year round. I did a lot of interval training, so I think I am comfortable being really uncomfortable, as long as its for a shorter period of time.

It was raining here so I wound up doing them on a treadmill. Pace was consistent. I might have been able to do one more, but it would not have been pleasant. I think I like them because I like working out hard. Mentally I think it's easier for me to push myself for 6 intervals than it is to push for one really long interval even if the long interval is physiologically easier. From the time I was 6 to the time I was 15 I swam competitively year round. I did a lot of interval training, so I think I am comfortable being really uncomfortable, as long as its for a shorter period of time.

I can keep that in mind moving forward.

Following along, too! I can relate to the siren song of the AppleWatch telling you you haven't closed rings on your rest day. It drives me nuts that they haven't built an option for rest days in to the software yet.

Good grief that's not terrifying at all! Haha. But made for a sweet picture!!

Yeah the group of guys on the van thought it was hilarious. They took the pic.

Most awesome cow pic!!
. Thank. I think I just need to get “stuck at a railroad crossing” to win wierd race onbstruction bingo.

Following along, too! I
can relate to the siren song of the AppleWatch telling you you haven't closed rings on your rest day. It drives me nuts that they haven't built an option for rest days in to the software yet.
Yeah I wouldn’t love it if they did that. For that matter if like Garmin to stop telling me to stand if I’ve run for more than 1.5 hours that day.

Speaking of rest days today is my rest day. Woot woot! I will be resisting the siren songbook of my Apple Watch though.

I did not know penguins along the course was a possibility at races ... I need to start checking for that info before I register for a race so that I know whether it will be too cold for human running.

I did not know penguins along the course was a possibility at races ... I need to start checking for that info before I register for a race so that I know whether it will be too cold for human running.

To be fair I didn't see any actual penguins, only the sign. It was not really even that cold that day.

Hurray its T-Pace day!

IMG_2558.JPG

I'm hoping that if I keep thinking it's going to be great, that it will be great.

DW and I are going out to lunch for Valentines day since I have to coach Odyssey tonight. Hopefully I'll be able to get my run in between work and Odyssey. I want to make sure that I have time for the full run and don't have to cut the cool down short.

This is my journey through that plan and hopefully several more in the hopes of qualifying for the 2020 Boston marathon. In order to do that I’ll need to run a 3:20 Marathon sometime after mid September of 2018.

Good luck qualifying for Boston. There's nothing like the fans of the Boston Marathon. You'll love it. DH ws never lucky enough to qualify (not for lack of trying) but we were always among the many, many fans out there cheering on friends.

Good luck qualifying for Boston. There's nothing like the fans of the Boston Marathon. You'll love it. DH ws never lucky enough to qualify (not for lack of trying) but we were always among the many, many fans out there cheering on friends.

Thanks! It's probably a really neat race to cheer at. I am not sure if I will qualify, but I want to do everything I can to try.

On top of all the running I probably need to loose about another 10-15 pounds but my weight has sort of plateaued.

Yesterday's T run was okay. I really have been really struggling time-wise with runs over an hour. I normally try and block 90 minutes on my calendar for my runs that are 70 minutes or more. It never fails that on those days some portion of that time always seems to get grabbed either by my boss or people on my team meaning I have to cut those runs a little short. I usually wind up cutting a portion of the cool down run. The same thing happened yesterday... I hit all my intervals but didn't have time to do the cool down run :(

I also forgot to start my Garmin, Doh! Anyone else find themselves making stupid mistakes with runs like that?
Last week I had one run where I brought the wrong shoes and 2 left socks. I was lucky I didn't just run around in circles on the treadmill that day.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter