Running Costume - Training

pikaboo27

<font color=teal>I knew I could count on you!<br><
Hello all!

I have a question for those who wear a running costume when they do a running event at Disney.

My question is this, do you training in your costume before you go? I have always held to the "nothing new on race day" rule and so I'm wondering how far in advance I should train in my costume before race day. So I'm looking for any tips you may have. Did you slowly add in elements as you finished them? Did you just start maybe two weeks out running with your costume on?

Thanks!

Our costumes have been base layers of running clothes (wicking) with additional elements tacked on, so we've not generally had any chaffing concerns beyond the normal running attire - it's just making sure the added elements are secure enough to survive the run and aren't going to irritate us in any ways we haven't considered. We've typically only done one long training run with our running costume on to ensure that there aren't things that are going to drive us nuts over the bulk of the distance.

Good luck with it and have fun!

My costumes are usually more "themed outfits". I've had a basic running outfit I've worn for every race since 2005-- running skirt, tank top, thin long-sleeve (if needed), and will just add embellishments as needed.

However, I usually take any new product out for a test run regardless of whether I've worn it before. I learned the hard way that a certain material tank top will chafe my arms and make me run even more like T-Rex, so I'll never make that mistake again. I'm experimenting with compression sleeves on arms and legs right now.

I have nothing valuable to add here, but I really would've loved to see the guy wearing the Lumiere suit out on the trail for a training run! :rotfl2:

If you are doing a longer distance you should train in your costume at least for a short run. I don't have costumes per say just tech stuff that can be combined to make a costume. I have a Captain America Bike Shirt with blue tights for my Captain America costume for Avengers and a USO girl sparkle skirt that I pair with a blue sports bra and blue top but thinking of adding a blue hat for Wine and Dine.

Still nothing decided for Tower of Terror. May just use the Captain costume again.

I ran in costumes this year for the Dopey and no I did not train in them. My thought was this...if during the race I cannot stand wearing them anymore...I would just toss them to the side of the road.

Firstly, I really didn't want to run down the main streets here dressed as Cinderella.
Secondly, I bought my costumes at Kmart after Halloween at 90% off so I paid very little for them. I had no intent on taking them home with me anyway and will do the same this coming weekend in Jan too.

At the end of the day none of them bothered me. The only thing that probably annoyed me was my wand in my Tinkerbell outfit and that the wings blew off. This was my 10k outfit.
For the 5k I dressed a full Minnie Mouse.
For the half...that was the Cinderella dress...short one.
For the full I just sparked it up with a team sparkle skirt and glitter hair products.

I dressed as Ariel for the Enchanted 10k complete with tutu and as Captain America for the Princess Half. I wore a blue running skirt for Cap. I didn't do any training runs with my costumes. If I had I would have realized I hate running in a tutu! :rotfl: Live and learn! For the TOT I'm dressing as Kim Possible. No more tutus for me!

I have worn at least 10 different costumes at various runDisney events and never once did I train in any of them before race day. Some of these costumes where more challenging than other costumes because of a particular clothing, hat, shoes (I wore boots twice), wig and even a fake beard. I accept the fact that because I am running in a costume my time will not be that great and I accept that. I just want to have fun and make people laugh. Currently I feel my biggest costume challenge will be during the Avengers race.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!